Acc expansion thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Acc expansion thoughts

kcsu

Living Legend
Pure speculation but with ND locked up for 20 years. Call it a guaranteed 20 year engagement. And with the ESPN/longhorn network floundering is there a chance that the ACC could add ND and Texas

The ACC should move first and go big or go home. I'd put out feelers to Kentucky and/or Texas, Penn State
unfortunately no chance with those except possibly Texas. They are number 1 by a wide margin on my list.

Last time we reached out to Penn State the B1G got so ticked they stole Maryland. That can't happen now but we do need to tread lightly with them. The B1G is Machiavellian

How about we steal Maryland back? They left for money, let's sweeten the pot.

I only see two worthwhile options:
  1. Notre Dame becomes full and chooses their dance partner; or
  2. Texas.
Not sure any other school brings anything meaningful to the table. I kinda like the idea of trying to poach Vanderbilt. Other than geographically, they dont fit into the SEC. But i dont think the revenue is enough to entice.

Texas and OU would be a nice expansion. Neither is as tied to "little brother" as many on the interwebs believe.

ND stays indy as long as possible. They like their schedule, exposure (they need the wide open schedule as they recruit their student population from across the U.S.). Maybe if the season was 16 games they could join, but even then, I doubt the moneyed supporters would support that move, at least until some die off and the younger people move into the roles of big time supporters.

Texas and OU would be a nice expansion. Neither is as tied to "little brother" as many on the interwebs believe.

ND stays indy as long as possible. They like their schedule, exposure (they need the wide open schedule as they recruit their student population from across the U.S.). Maybe if the season was 16 games they could join, but even then, I doubt the moneyed supporters would support that move, at least until some die off and the younger people move into the roles of big time supporters.

How do you know that younger ND fans are not as pro-independence as their elders?

How do you know that younger ND fans are not as pro-independence as their elders?
Because their elders always played for a "mythical national title" and ND always had an inside track because it was ND. If ND is kept out of the playoffs (i.e. the playoff only allowing conference champions to participate), nearly all of the younger generation of ND fans will want to be in a conference. The older ND fans, in that scenario, may still want independence even if it meant no chance at the playoffs. I say this as a lifetime ND fan. I do agree that as long as there is a chance to make the playoffs, most ND fans (old and young) will prefer independence.

Because their elders always played for a "mythical national title" and ND always had an inside track because it was ND. If ND is kept out of the playoffs (i.e. the playoff only allowing conference champions to participate), nearly all of the younger generation of ND fans will want to be in a conference. The older ND fans, in that scenario, may still want independence even if it meant no chance at the playoffs. I say this as a lifetime ND fan. I do agree that as long as there is a chance to make the playoffs, most ND fans (old and young) will prefer independence.
Freezing an eligible and worthy Notre Dame team out of the playoffs would push them to choose a conference, most likely the ACC. Delaney will never let that happen.

Sure, but what are the chances of a P4 conference champs only playoff? Slim? Guaranteed?

When does the current playoff contract run out? Will there be a Big 12 then? Nobody really knows.

I agree that ND will join the ACC for football five minutes after that legislation passes.

If no such legislation, there is very little leverage to move ND football into a conference. ND will take its chances as an independent with a tougher route to the playoffs, as long as it is not legally eliminated by rule.

We don't know either way. But currently there is extremely little chance of ND joining ACC football. Time always makes things possible because people, circumstances and attitudes change, so there is some chance tha the younger ND supporters may be wiling to join the ACC.

Freezing an eligible and worthy Notre Dame team out of the playoffs would push them to choose a conference, most likely the ACC. Delaney will never let that happen.
The only way the ND joins a conference is if by rule only conference champions are allowed to play for the national championship. Until 2036, if ND joins a conference for football it has to be the ACC.

What this means is that Delaney and all the other conference commissioners (outside of Swofford), have to decide whether or not they want to push ND out of the playoffs knowing that doing so will automatically put them in the ACC. In a weird way, the best thing for the ACC is if a rule is passed that only permits conference champs to play for the NC.

Sure, but what are the chances of a P4 conference champs only playoff? Slim? Guaranteed?

When does the current playoff contract run out? Will there be a Big 12 then? Nobody really knows.

I agree that ND will join the ACC for football five minutes after that legislation passes.

If no such legislation, there is very little leverage to move ND football into a conference. ND will take its chances as an independent with a tougher route to the playoffs, as long as it is not legally eliminated by rule.

The whole independence thing seems kind of contrived at this point. Consider:

-ND is playing several games a year against the ACC by agreement with the ACC (like all other fb teams)
-ND is in the ACC for all other sports (aside for hockey and maybe another anomaly that I'm not picking up). This isn't definitive in and of itself, but a reflection that ND is and has been part of a conference in some fashion for a number of years.
-ND cannot join any other conference for 20 years
-ND is a part of the TV contract (via the ACC arrangement and save the NBC component)

Semantic aside and given you can't play for the ACC title, IMO, it seems like ND is more a partial member (by choice, of course) than anything coming close to an independent.

Edit: I'm not trying to antagonize you in any manner (I appreciate your posts here and elsewhere).

Last edited:
The whole independence thing seems kind of contrived at this point. Consider:

-ND is playing several games a year against the ACC by agreement with the ACC (like all other fb teams)
-ND is in the ACC for all other sports (aside for hockey and maybe another anomaly that I'm not picking up). This isn't definitive in and of itself, but a reflection that ND is and has been part of a conference in some fashion for a number of years.
-ND cannot join any other conference for 20 years
-ND is a part of the TV contract (via the ACC arrangement and save the NBC component)

Semantic aside and given you can't play for the ACC title, IMO, it seems like ND is more a partial member (by choice, of course) than anything coming close to an independent.

Edit: I'm not trying to antagonize you in any manner (I appreciate your posts here and elsewhere).

Not a problem. We can call it "status quo" instead of "independence" if you'd like.

My take on the new ESPN, GOR and Network deals signed by the ACC is this:

The ACC just signed a contract that says for the next 20 years, ND football is not required to join the conference.

ND just got a stable home for its other sports, plus a little cash from the Network, without having to increase its football commitment, not even for one additional game.

I would think that the ACC and ESPN had to have put the full court press on ND to increase its commitment to try to get these deals done. But, ND apparently said no.

That leads me to believe that the chances of ND football joining a conference just went down, not up.

Not a problem. We can call it "status quo" instead of "independence" if you'd like.

The ACC just signed a contract that says for the next 20 years, ND football is not required to join the conference.

ND just got a stable home for its other sports, plus a little cash from the Network, without having to increase its football commitment, not even for one additional game.

I would think that the ACC and ESPN had to have put the full court press on ND to increase its commitment to try to get these deals done. But, ND apparently said no.

That leads me to believe that the chances of ND football joining a conference just went down, not up.

Status quo for ND, they have 20 years of stability to park the Olympic sports and the ACC agreed to accommodate for the same 5 games per annum.

ND has historically played several games along the east coast annually, the five game deal and Navy is not far off ND history (though they did give up Pitt as a regular). Two West Coast teams and four games to spread around as they see fit. This hits all of their student recruiting grounds and all the Catholic areas.

I do wish that ND would join the ACC but I respect the fact they wish to remain Indy.

when the bevo goes to 14 and all P5 teams have a Champion...nd is O-U-T.

unless you are looking at 2, non-SEC, 2 loss champions.

go play the maac champion in the poulon weedeater bowl.

the playoffs are for the BIG BOYS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom