Acc expansion thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Acc expansion thoughts

Trade UNC for anyone and I don't care who. I hate sharing a conference with them.

Well since the author appears to be about 14 I'm tempted to let this statement slide - "Would Connecticut even want the ACC?"
Other than that - with respect to the ACC inviting UConn ...
th

Why do P-5 conferences have to stop at 16 . For instance . The ACC could add UCONN and Temple now to get to 16 and have 2 8 team divisions and when/if Notre Dame comes in in football one more team can be added ( Texas , WV , Tulane ) , they could be divided ito 3 six teams divisions . Only at that point , organize it like Euro soccer with a with a loser s division. The make up of the 3 divisions would change each year based on team performance the previous year . This allows for marquee match ups in the top divisions and gives weaker teams a chance to build up a while with easier schedules . In addition , the league generates more content for the network and the ACC becomes the No.1 conference , by far.

Why do P-5 conferences have to stop at 16 . For instance . The ACC could add UCONN and Temple now to get to 16 and have 2 8 team divisions and when/if Notre Dame comes in in football one more team can be added ( Texas , WV , Tulane ) , they could be divided ito 3 six teams divisions . Only at that point , organize it like Euro soccer with a with a loser s division. The make up of the 3 divisions would change each year based on team performance the previous year . This allows for marquee match ups in the top divisions and gives weaker teams a chance to build up a while with easier schedules . In addition , the league generates more content for the network and the ACC becomes the No.1 conference , by far.

Soccer?

That would be awesome...but it will never happen!

Why.
The primary catalyst for expansion is money. Any team that is brought in would have to generate revenue in excess of the amount each team is currently receiving in the conference. At this point in time there are very few teams "available" that could provide such a boost. I wouldn't mind UCONN in the conference but economics are unfortunately not in their favor.

Only at that point , organize it like Euro soccer with a with a loser s division. The make up of the 3 divisions would change each year based on team performance the previous year . This allows for marquee match ups in the top divisions and gives weaker teams a chance to build up a while with easier schedules ..
I don't foresee any mainstream US sports adopting relegation anytime soon. We can't even get MLS to do it.

The primary catalyst for expansion is money. Any team that is brought in would have to generate revenue in excess of the amount each team is currently receiving in the conference. At this point in time there are very few teams "available" that could provide such a boost. I wouldn't mind UCONN in the conference but economics are unfortunately not in their favor.
No to anything that has to do with schools that don't move the needle.

Last time we reached out to Penn State the B1G got so ticked they stole Maryland. That can't happen now but we do need to tread lightly with them. The B1G is Machiavellian

I believe that happened after Maryland announced they were leaving. The Md counter-lawsuit against paying the ACC exit fee mentioned it I think. The story was that the ACC got Pitt to call PSU and I think Wake to call Northwestern. Md had been talking with the Big 10 for some time b4 they jumped in Nov. 2012 according to posts on this board around Sept. 2011. The irony is that had Md stayed they would have been OK now but they did not know it at the time and got railroaded by administrators.

The problem with "relegation", which is what you are recommending, is that the rosters of college teams change from year to year.

So, a team that is going to be good next year, is moved down a division. And team that are going to stink next year are moved up a division.

This is an interesting but flawed idea. This isn't professional soccer in England.

The problem with "relegation", which is what you are recommending, is that the rosters of college teams change from year to year.

So, a team that is going to be good next year, is moved down a division. And team that are going to stink next year are moved up a division.

This is an interesting but flawed idea. This isn't professional soccer in England.
I believe that some of the issues your citing could be addressed by a committee .

No to anything that has to do with schools that don't move the needle.
Adding UCONN and Temple would put a lock on the Northeast and create a solid entity from New England to Florida . The Philly media market , which Temple is in , controls most of Pa. , Nj . , Md. and Delaware. I think it would make the B1G cringe .

I believe that some of the issues your citing could be addressed by a committee .

You are kidding, right?

No committee ever solved anything. Look at the Government. That's an organization run by committees.

What are they going to do? Look at a team's record/performance in Year 1 and then project performance in Year 2 based upon that and the returning roster?

Maybe if they had a flawless crystal ball.

Forget about it. The idea works in the English Premiere League primarily because it gives the teams at the bottom something to play for at the end of the season.

It would have a better chance of working in Pro baseball where you could be relegated to AAA. I'd love to see the Yankees relegated to AAA.

You are kidding, right?

No committee ever solved anything. Look at the Government. That's an organization run by committees.

What are they going to do? Look at a team's record/performance in Year 1 and then project performance in Year 2 based upon that and the returning roster?

Forget about it. The idea works in the English Premiere League primarily because it gives the teams at the bottom something to play for at the end of the season.

It would have a better chance of working in Pro baseball where you could be relegated to AAA. I'd love to see the Yankees relegated to AAA.
The relegation committe could be held live on the ACC network , like a draft . Lots of drama and debate , yuge ratings.

You are kidding, right?

don't know who your team is, but in 3 of the last 4 years, the redsux finished in last.

and they would never had won in it all in '14, for they would've been in the International League.

just sayin...

And just like in Euro soccer you will have pretty much the same teams yoyo-ing between divisions. I'd say a very, very small number of teams who get promoted are able stay in their higher division for more than 1 year.

This isn't the pros. Imposing pro solutions on things hastens the day when the academicians pull the non-Bamas/thatOSUs,/etc. out of the P5 and down to something akin to D-3.

And just like in Euro soccer you will have pretty much the same teams yoyo-ing between divisions. I'd say a very, very small number of teams who get promoted are able stay in their higher division for more than 1 year.

This isn't the pros. Imposing pro solutions on things hastens the day when the academicians pull the non-Bamas/thatOSUs,/etc. out of the P5 and down to something akin to D-3.
This isn't the pro's , but it's not amateur college football of a bygone era either.In fact , this is some very uncharted territory .