ACC men's lacrosse tournament is on the move, but where is it going? | Syracusefan.com

ACC men's lacrosse tournament is on the move, but where is it going?

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The Atlantic Coast Conference is moving its 2017 men's lacrosse tournament from Kennesaw State University in Georgia, but the event's new destination is a little murky for now.

Coaches from the ACC's five men's teams — Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Virginia — all gathered for a league meeting in Greensboro, N.C., on Tuesday to discuss that issue among several others.

One hot topic was expected to be whether to return the lacrosse championship to Kennesaw State this season. That school hosted the event for the first time in 2016, falling victim to bad weather and poor attendance.

A torrential rainstorm at Fifth Third Bank Stadium during the title game between Duke and Syracuse forced a three-hour delay in the fourth quarter and rendered the grass field unplayable. The contest was resumed on an auxiliary artificial turf field , where the Orange completed its victory.

While it's tough to hold the school accountable for Mother Nature, poor attendance for the final — listed at 3,206 — was a concern.

But before the five coaches could even voice their opinions on Tuesday, they were told that the facility is booked for another event on the weekend of the ACC championship and therefore is not an option even if the coaches wanted to go back...

ACC men's lacrosse tournament is on the move, but where is it going? (PS: Kramer)

proxy.jpg

The Ralph or whatever they call it in Buffalo would be a good option . It is a convenient central point between the Midwest , Canada and the Northeast . It has been in the Midatlantic enough .

The Ralph or whatever they call it in Buffalo would be a good option . It is a convenient central point between the Midwest , Canada and the Northeast . It has been in the Midatlantic enough .

You really want to play in front of 65,000 empty seats?

When the ACCT was played outside Philly, it drew approx 7,000.

Four years ago when it was played at Chapel Hill it only drew roughly 4,000. And UNC was the favorite.

The soccer stadium in Rochester would be a better fit.

You really want to play in front of 65,000 empty seats?

When the ACCT was played outside Philly, it drew approx 7,000.

Four years ago when it was played at Chapel Hill it only drew roughly 4,000. And UNC was the favorite.

The soccer stadium in Rochester would be a better fit.
My bad OX , I confused the ACC championship with the National Championship . I actually didn't miss read it , my brain just got excited about a NC in upstate NY . ACC championship somewhere along Rt. 81 , maybe St. Mary's in Maryland .

My bad OX , I confused the ACC championship with the National Championship . I actually didn't miss read it , my brain just got excited about a NC in upstate NY . ACC championship somewhere along Rt. 81 , maybe St. Mary's in Maryland .

No problem.

Even the Nat'l Championships have had problems filling NFL stadiums lately. Probably because we're not playing in them. :(

Maybe someday they'll rotate the ACCT on campus like they used to.

No problem.

Even the Nat'l Championships have had problems filling NFL stadiums lately. Probably because we're not playing in them. :(

Maybe someday they'll rotate the ACCT on campus like they used to.
I thought that if the ACC doesn't get a sixth team , they wouldn't be able to have an AQ anyways . Why have a tourney then .

I thought that if the ACC doesn't get a sixth team , they wouldn't be able to have an AQ anyways . Why have a tourney then .

It's a resume builder. The ACC has always had a tourney, even when they only had 4 teams. Builds up everyone's SOS so they'd all get at-large bids.

My suggestion - The Montgomery County Soccerplex in Germantown, MD. Just to say to the Twerps, "See what you're missing?" It only seats 4K, though. :(

Late edit: Andrea Adelson says that Orlando wants the football championship along "w/other ACC neutral-site championship events". Both ACC Lax tourneys were held in the Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando in 2001. Hmmmm. :noidea:

Last edited:
I understand the infatuation with "grow the game" but asking fans of teams to book flights and hotels for 2-3 days in area outside their comfort zone doesn't make sense for a championship weekend. I have no problem with what they've done the last couple years in Orange County CA but conference championships should be centrally located to the schools or on one of the campuses

I understand the infatuation with "grow the game" but asking fans of teams to book flights and hotels for 2-3 days in area outside their comfort zone doesn't make sense for a championship weekend. I have no problem with what they've done the last couple years in Orange County CA but conference championships should be centrally located to the schools or on one of the campuses
Totally agree. That was the same reaction when they had it at Disney. It had been held only on campus to that point with a UNC-UVa-Duke-UMd rotation order of the 4 schools. It was moved to Philly to stick it to the Twerps since it would have been their turn to host in 2014, the year they left. I don't think most people would have a problem with going back to campus sites (most folks really looked forward to seeing it held in The Dome, AMOF). A new possible location for future tourneys would be holding it at the DC United soccer stadium when that's completed. While most have argued that it's a resume builder, I've always been against the tourney because it guaranteed at least two teams would have losses at a time when they could least afford them. I have to admit my view may have been reinforced by UVa's dismal record in it.

Totally agree. That was the same reaction when they had it at Disney. It had been held only on campus to that point with a UNC-UVa-Duke-UMd rotation order of the 4 schools. It was moved to Philly to stick it to the Twerps since it would have been their turn to host in 2014, the year they left. I don't think most people would have a problem with going back to campus sites (most folks really looked forward to seeing it held in The Dome, AMOF). A new possible location for future tourneys would be holding it at the DC United soccer stadium when that's completed. While most have argued that it's a resume builder, I've always been against the tourney because it guaranteed at least two teams would have losses at a time when they could least afford them. I have to admit my view may have been reinforced by UVa's dismal record in it.

Great call on the DC United stadium. I'm unsure about completion details, but as a soccer guy it was my first thought.

In Virginia Richmond, Harrisonburg, Norfolk and Williamsburg all have facilities that work. As does obviously UVa.

Once the DC United get their place it should just be there for good.

DC United Stadium is due to be finished in 2018. At least for now.

Did they move Duke out of North Carolina?

They can hold it in NC because this would be a non-neutral site championship (on-campus venue). Only neutral sites have been suspended.

The original rotation was UNC-CHeat - UVa - dook - Twerps (odd years in NC, even years outside NC). If it's at dook in 2017, then it could very well be in the Dome or @ND in 2018 if they're resuming on-campus tourneys. :noidea:

The original rotation was UNC-CHeat - UVa - dook - Twerps (odd years in NC, even years outside NC). If it's at dook in 2017, then it could very well be in the Dome or @ND in 2018 if they're resuming on-campus tourneys. :noidea:

Everybody hosts two ACCT's every ten years.

Unless we get a 6th.

Everybody hosts two ACCT's every ten years.

Unless we get a 6th.
That's the way I see it, too.
Duke 2s and 7s, New Guy #1 3s and 8s, New Guy #2 4s and 9s, UNC-CHeat 5s and 0s, UVa 1s and 6s.

I'm not holding my breath until #6 shows up. {Deep sigh}

That's the way I see it, too.
Duke 2s and 7s, New Guy #1 3s and 8s, New Guy #2 4s and 9s, UNC-CHeat 5s and 0s, UVa 1s and 6s.

I'm not holding my breath until #6 shows up. {Deep sigh}
Would you expect a continuation of a non-league game for the #5 finisher?

Would you expect a continuation of a non-league game for the #5 finisher?
That would seem to be the most likely thing to happen. I think that there are a lot of teams that would like to take on #5, especially the top teams in the conferences that are viewed as being not as strong as the others like the Northeast and America East. The current run of Ivy teams has been very attractive to both sides and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Yale is the invitee this coming season.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-6_14-5-9.png
    upload_2016-10-6_14-5-9.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online