ACC Network Coming In 2019 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Coming In 2019

The important question:

Will this be included with regular cable (like the SEC Network), or will this be a premium tier channel (like the Big Ten Net, Pac 12 Net, etc...)?

That is a good question. It may depend on if you live in an ACC market or not, if they can do it that way. Personally, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks each month considering the lengths I had to go to watch games back in the good old days before all this new technology, if I could even get them at all

David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP 4m4 minutes ago
Consultant Dean Jordan says if #ACCNetwork "performs even moderately," league will be "very, very competitive financially." #ACCKickoff
Translation, just as football has been under paid for decades (See new B1G deal!), hoops is grossly underpaid and the ACC knows it! Regardless of whether the ACC owns NYC in football, the ACC will own the largest chunk of NYC in hoops.

Syracuse University News » » ESPN, ACC Announce Launch of ACC Network; Syracuse Athletics Stands to Benefit from Enhanced National Exposure, New Academic Opportunities for Students

ESPN, ACC Announce Launch of ACC Network; Syracuse Athletics Stands to Benefit from Enhanced National Exposure, New Academic Opportunities for Students

The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and ESPN today announced the launch of the ACC Network. ACC Commissioner John Swofford and ESPN President John Skipper, speaking at the ACC’s annual Football Kickoff media event, said the new network will be a comprehensive linear and digital network. The 20-year partnership will provide ACC fans unprecedented access to live events via a comprehensive, multi-platform network. It also provides for the extension of the conference’s existing rights agreement with ESPN to 2036. ESPN is the ACC’s exclusive worldwide rights holder. The new ACC Network will also offer new academic opportunities to interested Syracuse students who plan to pursue a career in media.

Chancellor and President Kent Syverud says today is an exciting day for the ACC and for Syracuse University. "The partnership to create an ACC network will provide broad opportunities for Syracuse University students – for both our student-athletes in all sports and our students involved in programming and production of content in schools including the David Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications," said Chancellor Syverud.

Chris Fox, head cross country and track and field coach, and Quentin Hillsman, head women’s basketball coach, were on hand in Charlotte, North Carolina, this morning as the announcement was made. Dino Babers, head football coach, will arrive later today to participate in the ACC event.

Beginning in August 2016, fans can access more than 600 exclusive live events from across the conference via a digital live-events channel, ACC Network Extra, immediately available to users who have access to ESPN3 via WatchESPN and the ESPN app, with that number growing each year. More than 1,300 ACC events will be distributed across the platforms in 2019 when the linear network launches.

The new network is expected to give greater exposure to ACC athletics and comes on the heels of one of the most successful years in Syracuse Athletics history. This past year alone, Syracuse Athletics finished in 21st place in the 2015-16 National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Learfield Division I Directors' Cup, the best the school has ever performed; Syracuse brought home two national titles and five conference titles; the men’s and women’s basketball teams made historic Final Four runs; and the men’s soccer team appeared in the semi-finals of the College Cup.

Acting Athletics Director Dan French says the ACC Network will be a boon for the conference. “The ACC is among the most elite collegiate athletic conferences in the nation and today’s announcement underscores the significant role it (and its member schools) plays in intercollegiate athletics," said French. The ACC Network will have a particularly positive effect on Syracuse University as we compete to attract the nation’s best, brightest and most talented student-athletes. The long-term benefits for the ACC, its member schools and for Syracuse University as a whole, are vast and I look forward to seeing the ACC Network come to life in the coming years.”

This article provides an estimate on how much the ACC Network will provide each school. I presume it was provided by ESPN or a source in the conference.

5-8 million per school per year.

ACC Network is about more than money; it means stability
Good catch Tom. So taking into account that I have zero information, but did read the average payout for the ACC this past year was 26.2 million or so, a bump of 5 million gets the league to roughly 31 and change. The B10 is projected at close to $50 million. Seems like a huge margin still, unless I'm missing something. How can that close the gap enough to compete on equal footing with Big and SEC??

jr4750 said:
Good catch Tom. So taking into account that I have zero information, but did read the average payout for the ACC this past year was 26.2 million or so, a bump of 5 million gets the league to roughly 31 and change. The B10 is projected at close to $50 million. Seems like a huge margin still, unless I'm missing something. How can that close the gap enough to compete on equal footing with Big and SEC??

There is no way to completely close the gap with the SEC and B1G. I would argue that's unnecessary anyway. The ACC just needs to generate enough revenue for its members to compete effectively. To use a baseball analogy, you don't need the Yankees or Red Sox payroll to win a championship. You just need enough and be smart about it.

The $5-8 million apparently pertains to the network (I assume that dollar range is for 2019 and beyond). HOWEVER, there has to be a significant additional bump associated with extending the contract 10 years. That increase may be a graduated one but may end up being larger than network associated increase.

There is no way to completely close the gap with the SEC and B1G. I would argue that's unnecessary anyway. The ACC just needs to generate enough revenue for its members to compete effectively. To use a baseball analogy, you don't need the Yankees or Red Sox payroll to win a championship. You just need enough and be smart about it.
Exactly

The $5-8 million apparently pertains to the network (I assume that dollar range is for 2019 and beyond). HOWEVER, there has to be a significant additional bump associated with extending the contract 10 years. That increase may be a graduated one but may end up being larger than network associated increase.
All good. Realize there is no way to ever get B10 dollars, but think that we probably have to be within 10 million or so. Glad to see thats possible. $50 million to teams like OSU and their 27 + teams is fantastic. $30 million to a much smaller school like cuse and our 16 or whatever sports is serious money. Should hopefully keep us competitive across the board.

Twitter Announces Partnership With Campus Insiders to Livestream College Games | News

SAN FRANCISCO and CHICAGO – Twitter today announced a new digital media rights partnership with Campus Insiders, highlighted by the live streaming of more than 300 college sports events.

“Twitter is the fastest way to see what’s happening in sports,” said Anthony Noto, Twitter’s chief financial officer. “Our partnership with Campus Insiders will bring live streaming video of college sports directly to the people who are already talking about it on Twitter, all on a single screen.”

“Streaming live games directly on Twitter is a natural evolution of the fan experience,” said Brooks Boyer, CEO of Silver Chalice, the parent company of Campus Insiders. “Unlike traditional broadcast and cable networks, Campus Insiders is set up perfectly to adapt to the evolving media landscape, and we are thrilled to be able to demonstrate this groundbreaking opportunity for our Conference partners, the student athletes we cover and the millions of fans with a passion for college sports.”

Campus Insiders will stream the live college games on Twitter with an extensive line-up of football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, volleyball, field hockey, water polo and swimming. In addition to live events, Campus Insiders and the ACC Digital Network will contribute timely video and on demand clips of game highlights, breaking news and “must see moments” from the top ranked schools and colleges across the country on Twitter.

Silver Chalice launched its digital sports network business in 2011 with the introduction of the ACC Digital Network, a ground-breaking partnership with the Conference and Raycom Sports, which continues to provide game highlights, Must See Moments, full game archives, interviews, and special features on a daily basis. Since then, Campus Insiders launched its comprehensive original news reporting and social media content operation and has strategic partnerships with the Big 12 Conference, Mountain West Conference, the West Coast Conference, the Patriot League and the CIAA. Campus Insiders also is the exclusive home of the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl, which was founded in part by Campus Insiders in 2015 and was the first and only digitally-focused college football bowl game broadcast. All told, Campus Insiders streams more than 3,000 live events from its conference partners.

ABOUT TWITTER
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) is an iconic service and global platform for self-expression and live conversation. Twitter has always been the best place to see what's happening now. Whether it's breaking news, entertainment, sports, or everyday topics, only Twitter lets you connect with people anywhere in the world with live conversation. Anything that happens, you see it first on Twitter. By developing a fundamentally new way for people to consume, create, distribute and discover content, Twitter enables any voice to echo around the world instantly and unfiltered. Twitter is available in more than 40 languages around the world. The service can be accessed at Twitter.com, on a variety of mobile devices and via SMS. For more information, visit about.twitter.com or follow @twitter.

ABOUT CAMPUS INSIDERS
Campus Insiders is the fastest growing, most engaged destination for college sports fans of any age and level. The all-digital platform brings fans the latest news, live coverage, and most innovative and unique stories from college conferences across the country, with high-quality content including live studio shows, video-on- demand (VOD), and more than 3,000 live games and events. Campus Insiders’ video programming is available on CampusInsiders.com, Campus Insiders mobile and tablet apps, as well as various streaming applications and connected devices such as Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox and go90. For more information, visit campusinsiders.com.

ABOUT SILVER CHALICE
Silver Chalice was founded in 2009 to create the preeminent sports media company for the digital generation. By creating television-quality video in partnership with rights holders and other dominant players in the sports media industry, Silver Chalice networks deliver unique digital video experiences, with content available across a variety of platforms including web, mobile, connected TVs and streaming media devices. Led by Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and his co-owners of the Chicago White Sox, Silver Chalice owns and operates Campus Insiders, SportsLabs, the ACC Digital Network in partnership with Raycom Sports and the Atlantic Coast Conference, and 120 Sports in partnership with MLBAM, the NHL, Time Inc. / Sports Illustrated, the PGA TOUR and Campus Insiders.

Last edited:
In 2011, our conference affiliation with the Big East netted us $3-5m per year.

In 2016, we are now talking about netting $30m PER YEAR

Just say that out loud and think about what that should do for Syracuse University as a whole...not just the athletic department.

44PRIDE said:
In 2011, our conference affiliation with the Big East netted us $3-5m per year. In 2016, we are now talking about netting $30m PER YEAR Just say that out loud and think about what that should do for Syracuse University as a whole...not just the athletic department.

And then think about Storrs, CT.

Bwahahah :)

Lots of great stuff. I am vaguely annoyed however when I see the name Raycom anywhere. Seriously - what exactly does Raycom bring to the table? I'm even confused whether the ACC is receiving income from, or paying, Raycom.

Last edited:
In 2011, our conference affiliation with the Big East netted us $3-5m per year.

In 2016, we are now talking about netting $30m PER YEAR

Just say that out loud and think about what that should do for Syracuse University as a whole...not just the athletic department.

What's so exciting about that is Syracuse was successful at 3 million per year. So you would think with any decent leadership in place we should be very competitive nationally making that much money. Regardless of conference.

jr4750 said:
What's so exciting about that is Syracuse was successful at 3 million per year. So you would think with any decent leadership in place we should be very competitive nationally making that much money. Regardless of conference.

And I trust Wildhack way, way more with the future than Coyle and Gross.

And I trust Wildhack way, way more with the future than Coyle and Gross.

I'm not a Daryl Gross apologist by any means, but lets be fair. How about we take stock on what he did at Syracuse while on that $3m budget:

- Marked improvement in nearly all non revenue sports
- locker rooms upgrade
- Manley practice center (edit: not the melo center)
- Dome big screens and ribbon boards
- laid the fundraising foundation for our indoor practice facility

I will be the first to admit he messed up on the "Gerg" hire. But its not as if he was incompetent at his job.

44PRIDE said:
I'm not a Daryl Gross apologist by any means, but lets be fair. How about we take stock on what he did at Syracuse while on that $3m budget: - Marked improvement in nearly all non revenue sports - locker rooms upgrade - Manley practice center (edit: not the melo center) - Dome big screens and ribbon boards - laid the fundraising foundation for our indoor practice facility I will be the first to admit he messed up on the "Gerg" hire. But its not as if he was incompetent at his job.

Can't argue with the non-football results. But by all accounts, his weak spot was keeping track of $. If you can get a foward looking guy who can also manage the budget wisely - that's a HR.

Don't misread my comments as disrespect.