ACC Network Coming In 2019 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Coming In 2019

Nice article. I think the good thing out of this so far is zero public comment from some of the FSU board members. Remember, a couple of them were not happy a few years ago when the SEC network numbers were announced.
Suck it FSU you're stuck with us for 20 years.

I read it last night - it is a perfectly wonderful behind-the-scenes look by Va journalist David Teel at what happened during that important May 2016 ACC meeting and gives a brief history of the work in the past 7 years to create these networks. The ACC ADs meet every Spring in Amelia Island, Florida. This last meeting was the one in which Coyle not only was absent, but also evidently did not send a deputy (or Salas, Gross, or anybody) to represent SU. I remember reading the other ADs delayed the start as they were missing one. Evidently he was also leaving without telling the coaches including Babers - "Are you serious? No comment." With hindsight about that, I believe the appropriate response would have been "we're not accepting your resignation - you're being terminated for negligence".

What cable exec would come out publicly and say, sure we will pay for the ACC Network? Article is ridiculous, it is not in the cable companies interest to say "yeah, we will carry that, it's a great idea" even if they thought it was, it puts them in a terrible negotiating spot if they do. Ask the ESPN execs and they will state that the cable companies will pay for live content.

Kind of like going to your competitor and asking how great your competing company is, you will get a similar response.

Let's go ask McDonalds's what they think of Burger King...so stupid.

ESPN could easily cut costs by shuting down ESPNews and giving that slot to the ACCN in its bundle. They are cost cutting and ESPNews doesn't do anything but replay day shows and Sportscentre ratings have gone down.

No cable company will turn down live sport events forcing their customers to an online streaming with the potential to cut the cord. It is a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. I believe the mark is shifting towards cord cutters but the cable market will not die for decades, if ever. The ACCN will be picked up. ESPN (along with ABC and Disney) has had a little success with sports broadcasting, I will believe them before some writer with only hot air to show for his success.

No cable company will turn down live sport events forcing their customers to an online streaming with the potential to cut the cord. It is a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. I believe the mark is shifting towards cord cutters but the cable market will not die for decades, if ever. The ACCN will be picked up. ESPN (along with ABC and Disney) has had a little success with sports broadcasting, I will believe them before some writer with only hot air to show for his success.
This.

he kind of misses the obvious po8int that ND football will not likely be on the ACCN, but every other sport will be and in that manner, ND would be a full Member. They will provide significant content in a variety of sports and hoops, though if any team is really good, those games will be picked up by the networks and lesser games relegated to the ACCN. Again, ND would be doing their part and deserve a full share.

Maybe this was posted on another thread but I don't see it yet. FSU President John Thrasher was interviewed by Warchant (a paid site I believe) and said in this copy and paste from the ACC BBs site*:

ACC’s new contract with ESPN calls for three separate “look-in” periods -- times when executives from both entities will be able to sit down and discuss whether the contract terms needs to be renegotiated. The first of those previously unreported “look-ins” will occur in 2021, just two years after the new ACC Network is scheduled to launch on cable and satellite television.

“So there are going to be three opportunities during the course of the contract to take a look at it,” Thrasher told Warchant.com. “To take a step back and see how it’s doing: Do there need to be adjustments? Things like that. ESPN agreed to that. The ACC agreed to it. So the first one will be in 2021. So we’ll have about 2½ years of experience, and we’ll see where we are.
“If we have to make some adjustments, we’ll make some adjustments.”
If the college football landscape does change, or if the new network has any issues with distribution, Thrasher said he takes comfort in having the “look-in” periods as part of the contract.

Also Va Tech AD "Whit Babcock was on Sirius with Mark Packer a couple hours ago. They were talking about the ACC network, and he very explicitly reiterated that the deal will put the ACC on the level of B1G and SEC and separate them from the PAC and B12." Babcock is the one who said this past Spring the network is coming and he was right. Finally, I understand it will be part of the ESPN bundle - if you get the other ESPN channels, you will also get the ACC network.

*Warchant: New ACC/ESPN deal to provide three "look in" periods

Maybe this was posted on another thread but I don't see it yet. FSU President John Thrasher was interviewed by Warchant (a paid site I believe) and said in this copy and paste from the ACC BBs site*:

ACC’s new contract with ESPN calls for three separate “look-in” periods -- times when executives from both entities will be able to sit down and discuss whether the contract terms needs to be renegotiated. The first of those previously unreported “look-ins” will occur in 2021, just two years after the new ACC Network is scheduled to launch on cable and satellite television.
“So there are going to be three opportunities during the course of the contract to take a look at it,” Thrasher told Warchant.com. “To take a step back and see how it’s doing: Do there need to be adjustments? Things like that. ESPN agreed to that. The ACC agreed to it. So the first one will be in 2021. So we’ll have about 2½ years of experience, and we’ll see where we are.
“If we have to make some adjustments, we’ll make some adjustments.”
If the college football landscape does change, or if the new network has any issues with distribution, Thrasher said he takes comfort in having the “look-in” periods as part of the contract.

Also Va Tech AD "Whit Babcock was on Sirius with Mark Packer a couple hours ago. They were talking about the ACC network, and he very explicitly reiterated that the deal will put the ACC on the level of B1G and SEC and separate them from the PAC and B12." Babcock is the one who said this past Spring the network is coming and he was right. Finally, I understand it will be part of the ESPN bundle - if you get the other ESPN channels, you will also get the ACC network.

*Warchant: New ACC/ESPN deal to provide three "look in" periods
Great info. I had asked if there was info on look-ins and there it is. I wonder if a look-in could possibly be detrimental or is it only a potential plus for the league.

CuseOnly said:
What cable exec would come out publicly and say, sure we will pay for the ACC Network? Article is ridiculous, it is not in the cable companies interest to say "yeah, we will carry that, it's a great idea" even if they thought it was, it puts them in a terrible negotiating spot if they do. Ask the ESPN execs and they will state that the cable companies will pay for live content.

Kind of like going to your competitor and asking how great your competing company is, you will get a similar response.

Let's go ask McDonalds's what they think of Burger King...so stupid.

One thing I love...the anti ACC whack jobs predicted for years that the ACC would blow up. Then we sign the GOR. Next they scream that an undefeated ACC team will get left out of the CFP. Then as recently as days before the network announcement they say we'll never get a network. Now they're saying we won't get on any systems.

I'll trust John Swofford and ESPN over a bunch of people who have been hoping for the ACC to collapse for years.

Last edited:
Notice that NBC and CBS now have dedicated sports channels, ABC has ESPN, so it seems all the big networks feel live sports is the new frontier.

Rumors of ACCN taking over SECN facilities in Charlotte with SECN moving to the ATL.
That makes sense. Though it would be better if they didn't move to another ACC city and made their home someplace more appropriate. Like Birmingham or Athens.

Another interesting article speculating on how much money the ACC Network will generate for each school. Note that the author thinks New York will generate more money than any other state except Florida and North Carolina.

Personally, I think his numbers are far too conservative. Syracuse will deliver New York (along with a little help from ND, Duke and UNC).

Even with a worse case scenario for the ACC Network like this, coupled with the substantial bump in fees for tier one content ESPN is giving the ACC for extending the contract to 2036, you can see how the ACC will be competitive with the SEC and B1G long term now.

Speculating on how much the ACC Network could earn

That makes sense. Though it would be better if they didn't move to another ACC city and made their home someplace more appropriate. Like Birmingham or Athens.
With Atlanta being the host of the SEC Championship game, host of the College Football HOF and being convenient for much of the traditional SEC (by car or by air) it's a logical choice.

Side note: local college football coverage appears to be 85-90% UGA and only 10-15% GA Tech.*

* I'm probably being generous here

If even 1 Notre Dame game a year is on the network, cable operators will be forced to pay the price. Notre Dame has more pull then everyone else in any conference combined, when it comes to Football.