ACC Network Coming In 2019 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Coming In 2019

8+2 is more likely than 9 game schedule
Agreed. When ND is on the schedule it's really 8+1+1. The schools with SEC rivalry games will clearly vote this way (that's 4 votes locked in).

I wonder if a compromise of 8+1.5 would work. That's 3 P5 games every 2 years.

Moontan said:
Agreed. When ND is on the schedule it's really 8+1+1. The schools with SEC rivalry games will clearly vote this way (that's 4 votes locked in). I wonder if a compromise of 8+1.5 would work. That's 3 P5 games every 2 years.

I wonder if there is a financial piece - like if you go 9, there will be more $. If it's another P5 with a home and home it takes half the inventory with it.

Expect lots of complaining from Clemson, FSU, and GTech if 9 is adopted. (There are solutions, but it could be interesting).

I wonder if there is a financial piece - like if you go 9, there will be more $. If it's another P5 with a home and home it takes half the inventory with it.
No it doesn't. It's either 7 conference games or 14 non-conference games, half of which are hosted by the ACC. 7 == 7 :)

I think the 8+2 is a good alternative. This appeases the 4 teams with SEC crossovers and increases the upper level CFB games inventory. Teams liek Syracuse will not notice a difference. Teams like NCState will rarely break even. Sounds good to me.

One thing I love...the anti ACC whack jobs predicted for years that the ACC would blow up. Then we sign the GOR. Next they scream that an undefeated ACC team will get left out of the CFP. Then as recently as days before the network announcement they say we'll never get a network. Now they're saying we won't get on any systems.

I'll trust John Swofford and ESPN over a bunch of people who have been hoping for the ACC to collapse for years.
I'll trust ESPN and Wildhack, anyway.

Agreed. When ND is on the schedule it's really 8+1+1. The schools with SEC rivalry games will clearly vote this way (that's 4 votes locked in).

I wonder if a compromise of 8+1.5 would work. That's 3 P5 games every 2 years.

Are there even enough P5 programs to fulfill 2 OOC games for all 14 teams? Isn't every other conference going 9+1? Your idea of +1.5 would make more sense. Otherwise the ACC will have to make a lot of west coast trips or play each other OOC.

I would like to explore an ACC/SEC challenge

That would appease the FSU/Clemson/GT crowd

But they already play an annual SEC game. Not sure they'd be on board with a second SEC game.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

But they already play an annual SEC game. Not sure they'd be on board with a second SEC game.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

What I mean is go with 9 league games and make the extra P5 game an ACC/SEC Challenge. FSU/Clemson/GT would always play their rivals

What I mean is go with 9 league games and make the extra P5 game an ACC/SEC Challenge. FSU/Clemson/GT would always play their rivals
Ah, so not a second SEC game for them. Got it.

It's going to be very tough to fill out an 8+2 schedule. Especially with the B10, Pac12, and B12 at 9 games already, unless the SEC goes with the same philosophy. What might happen is you get some instances of ACC v. ACC non-conference games which I'm not sure I'd be against. What would you like more, a home & home vs. VT or Miami or a home & home vs. Purdue or Vanderbilt?

One thing that I think the ACC should consider is just counting division games in the standings, then any crossover games don't affect the conference record and don't impact the race to the championship game. Although there are probably downsides I'm not considering.

And upset the Florida, UGA, USCw crowd. "We've got to play FSU/GATech/Clempsun and the others get to play Wake, BC, etc.".

FWIW, from an SU perspective playing an SEC team every so often is fun. Doing it every year would stink. We already play enough southern teams.

We can play Auburn, we still owe them for Tie Dye back in 1987. That's a school I'll easily dis-like.

Personally, an annual game with TAMU would be nice, but that is for selfish reasons (an hour and a half drive!). LSU and Arkansas would be suitable substitutes.

Personally, an annual game with TAMU would be nice, but that is for selfish reasons (an hour and a half drive!). LSU and Arkansas would be suitable substitutes.
Similarly, Auburn, 'Bama, Tennessee, Vandy or the Mississippi schools would work for me.
The 4 SEC schools that already play in annual ACC affairs would work as well.
I will hit LSU next year. Mizzou, Arky and aTm are a bit too far for a casual drive...

If that's the case, Clemson would not want to be locked into its rival.

Last edited:
Similarly, Auburn, 'Bama, Tennessee, Vandy or the Mississippi schools would work for me.
The 4 SEC schools that already play in annual ACC affairs would work as well.
I will hit LSU next year. Mizzou, Arky and aTm are a bit too far for a casual drive...

What we are really saying is that we are OK with an ACC/SEC agreement. Any SEC locale beats driving to Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, et al. for some of us.

gobigorange said:
If that's the case, Clemson would not want to be locked into its rival.

Man, you guys are hard to please. ;)

SEC-ACC would not work. There aren't enough compelling matchups. If you have FLA-FSU, SC-Clemson, UK-UL, UGA-GT, TENN-VT who does that leave for Bama, LSU, Auburn to play?

SEC-ACC would not work. There aren't enough compelling matchups. If you have FLA-FSU, SC-Clemson, UK-UL, UGA-GT, TENN-VT who does that leave for Bama, LSU, Auburn to play?
The ACC-SEC rivalry games would have to be scrapped like I mentioned earlier, but we have played two SEC teams a year recently so who knows.. There are some solid matchups though if you do that. Bama/LSU-Clemson/FSU, Louisville-Ole Miss, UT-VT, etc. I'm just making up matchups but there could be some good stuff there.