According to Gary, Boeheim just had his 1000th win | Syracusefan.com

According to Gary, Boeheim just had his 1000th win

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
My friend Gary has carted a sign to every basketball game this year, counting off each game towards 1000 wins. The sign also has a beautifully painted screw, followed by " . . the NCAA." Many fans have enjoyed seeing that sign.

However, the university disagrees with Gary about how many wins Coach doesn't have. Gary counts Hop's four wins last year as Boeheim's, while the university counts them towards Hop's total. Gary has shown me an official-looking website that confirms his view - or at least it used to - and he is certain he is right. He is in Florida for the rest of the year, so his friend Bob has carried the sign the last couple games and he and the people around him were shouting and whooping when we won today.

But, alas, Boeheim doesn't have 996 wins, not 1000. I sure as hell hope that when 1000 doesn't come, we fans are going to do *something*! SU cannot acknowledge *something* that hasn't happened, but that doesn't mean we fans have to remain silent. Obviously, thousands of white signs with black 1000 on them would be satisfying, but I don't have that much money.

I wonder wonder wonder what we can do . . .

My friend Gary has carted a sign to every basketball game this year, counting off each game towards 1000 wins. The sign also has a beautifully painted screw, followed by " . . the NCAA." Many fans have enjoyed seeing that sign.

However, the university disagrees with Gary about how many wins Coach doesn't have. Gary counts Hop's four wins last year as Boeheim's, while the university counts them towards Hop's total. Gary has shown me an official-looking website that confirms his view - or at least it used to - and he is certain he is right. He is in Florida for the rest of the year, so his friend Bob has carried the sign the last couple games and he and the people around him were shouting and whooping when we won today.

But, alas, Boeheim doesn't have 996 wins, not 1000. I sure as hell hope that when 1000 doesn't come, we fans are going to do *something*! SU cannot acknowledge *something* that hasn't happened, but that doesn't mean we fans have to remain silent. Obviously, thousands of white signs with black 1000 on them would be satisfying, but I don't have that much money.

I saw his friend Bob carrying that sign today and it did have me wondering about that. Thanks for clearing it up!

We can do about anything. My jaded question is what will we do?

Maybe we'll go vacation in Florida like your faithful pal Gary! ;) I might book tickets within the hour, in all actuality, but I wont blame Gary(I have competitive blood testing in Daytona Beach, I'm not headed to some retirement community, no offense :p ) What I'm getting at, is I dont know how much faith I have in anything related to this university, even if it's not officially sponsored by them.

I hope you a$*cl0wns prove me wrong!!

I saw his friend Bob carrying that sign today and it did have me wondering about that. Thanks for clearing it up!
He was holding the sign over his head at the pee trough today! I kid you not. Guy was able to do his business with one hand and the other holding the sign. Amazing moment. haha

In the NCAA report, they said any wins accrued during JB's absence would NOT count as wins for JB. They belong to Hop, as do the losses.
I would much rather blame the NCAA for this atypical ruling than blame SU. So, curious, who gets Capel's wins during Coach K's absence? Hey, I might google that!

(Edit 5 min. later.) Okay, first, I found out that Coach K will be credited for Capel's wins and losses. Also, here is something straight from the NCAA rulebook. It is rather long. Scroll to the end for "Suspended Coaches." This seems to imply that the decision about who gets credit is completely at the discretion of the university.

HEAD COACH DETErMINATION
In order for a coach to be credited with wins, losses or ties, that individual must be designated as the
institution’s head coach or interim head coach� Individuals serving on an advisory or preseason basis
may not be credited with the wins, losses or ties� If the head coach is not present at a contest due to
illness or other unexpected circumstances, or otherwise is unable to complete the sport season, it is the
responsibility of the institution to determine, preferably prior to the contest, whether the win, loss or tie for
that contest shall be credited to the head coach or to an interim or assistant coach� If the decision is made
after the season is over, consider if the new coach influenced the team enough to make a difference in
how the team performed (such as style of play)� If a coach is no longer employed by the institution as the
head coach, that coach can no longer be credited with further wins or losses after the day the relationship
was terminated�
The following are examples from Division I men’s basketball teams that have been in the NCAA tournament�
The circumstances and institutions’ decisions are as follows:

In 1989, Rich Daly coached Missouri in the tournament after Norm Stewart became ill and was
hospitalized late in the season� Missouri credited Stewart for the entire season�
● Also in 1989, Steve Fisher coached Michigan in the tournament after Bill Frieder took a job at
Arizona State between the regular season and the postseason� Michigan split the won-lost record
NCAA STATISTICS POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
rOSTErS
and Fisher was credited with the tournament games and a national championship� NOTE: On
Fisher’s official record, he will be credited with one season coached and a 6-0 record.

In 1995, Mike Krzyzewski had coached Duke to a 9-3 record before having back surgery and
missing the remainder of the season� As determined by Duke before interim coach Pete Gaudet
coached a game, Gaudet received all the wins and losses for the remainder of the season�
● In 2001, Rick Majerus coached Utah in its first game of the season and had to miss the rest of the
season because of his own health problems and concerns for his mother’s health� Utah credited
the rest of the season to interim head coach Dick Hunsaker

Also in 2001 at Arizona, the wife of Lute Olson passed away and Coach Olson took a leave of
absence for an undetermined amount of time� Since it was not known if Olson would return at
all that season, Arizona decided to credit the interim coach, assistant Jim Rosborough, with any
games played during Olson’s absence. Olson missed five games and Rosborough was credited
with a 3-2 record while Olson’s record was 25-6 for the games before and after his leave�
Generally, if a coach misses a game or limited amount of games due to a temporary illness, transportation
trouble, etc�, the wins or losses by the team in his or her absence will usually go to the head coach�
(Updated 5/1/2014)
SUSPENDED COACH
If a head coach is suspended for a game or more by the school or conference, he or she is still eligible
to receive the wins or losses in his or her absence, but some institutions have chosen to give the record
to the interim coach� If a head coach is suspended by the Committee on Infractions, he or she will not
receive credit for the wins or losses; those decisions will go toward the interim coach’s record� Other
unique circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis�
(Uom the NCAA rulebook:

Last edited:
Does Gary have a talk show? Maybe we can come up with a theme song for Gary's show.

Good find beadle. Looks like Gary was wrong.

Wrong according to the NCAA. F 'em. 4 wins last year were with JB's players playing his system in a program he was the face of. If health or a conference suspension doesn't definitively take wins away then this clown car doesn't get to either. I'm giving them to him.

JB 1000!!!!!

Does Gary have a talk show? Maybe we can come up with a theme song for Gary's show.
Well, the show could be Gary's Gang and maybe the theme song could be to "Jesse's Girl." I would come up with the lyrics but I'm watching the Packers. Touchdown!

I think all wins and losses should go to the head coach of record, not an assistant filling in for him.

Mike Hopkins career as a head coach hasn't begun yet. Does Bernie Fine have a coaching record?

Thanks for bringing this back to the forefront, bballbeadle. I've created a reminder thread for the t-shirt campaign that I plan to bump until the end of the campaign (thanks also, CaptainJ).

If any of you were unaware of the 1,000th win t-shirts we created, please go check out the stickied thread. And if you haven't ordered one yet, please consider it. The shirts are $20 and we went with the premium shirt option that I'm happy to report is a great feeling shirt. As beadle said, the school can't support this officially, so the campaign could use everybody's help to spread the word throughout Cuse Nation! All of the profits are going to charity.

DISCLAIMER: Please just be careful if you post the campaign anywhere online (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to avoid specific references to the program or anyone/thing connected to the program. Don't be discouraged from posting the campaign link and some details about the shirt, we just don't want there to be the appearance of any impermissible support for this fan-created campaign.

Thanks for bringing this back to the forefront, bballbeadle. I've created a reminder thread for the t-shirt campaign that I plan to bump until the end of the campaign (thanks also, CaptainJ).

If any of you were unaware of the 1,000th win t-shirts we created, please go check out the stickied thread. And if you haven't ordered one yet, please consider it. The shirts are $20 and we went with the premium shirt option that I'm happy to report is a great feeling shirt. As beadle said, the school can't support this officially, so the campaign could use everybody's help to spread the word throughout Cuse Nation! All of the profits are going to charity.

DISCLAIMER: Please just be careful if you post the campaign anywhere online (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to avoid specific references to the program or anyone/thing connected to the program. Don't be discouraged from posting the campaign link and some details about the shirt, we just don't want there to be the appearance of any impermissible support for this fan-created campaign.
I received two shirts and they are great!

I think all wins and losses should go to the head coach of record, not an assistant filling in for him.

Mike Hopkins career as a head coach hasn't begun yet. Does Bernie Fine have a coaching record?

In principle, yes.

But when the head coach is temporarily removed as a punishment, it wouldn't be fair to anyone for him to assume responsibility for wins and losses. This situation is a very reasonable exception to the general rule.

In principle, yes.

But when the head coach is temporarily removed as a punishment, it wouldn't be fair to anyone for him to assume responsibility for wins and losses. This situation is a very reasonable exception to the general rule.

Well in that case the 101 "vacated" wins should not count. Logic assumes punishment was warranted and consistent.

In the NCAA report, they said any wins accrued during JB's absence would NOT count as wins for JB. They belong to Hop, as do the losses.

I seem to recall that when Coach K had his first back surgery a decade or two ago, and Duke did poorly (maybe even missed the tournament that year ...) that K had to petition the NCAA to get those losses off his record. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

So I guess the rules have changed since then? That would mean that Jeff Caple's games are his own, too, right?

In principle, yes.

Should Hopkins be charged with losses taking over someone else's team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom