AD search firm | Syracusefan.com

AD search firm

tipphill

All Conference
i read the article on syracuse.com re the firm su hired for the search. the positive thing that caught my attention was, the ad from rice going to tcu. i think that was a great hire. rice is an outstanding academic university, and a private.i would like to see that kind of hire at su. i wouldn't mind looking at the harvard ad.

Last edited:
Well Jim Fiore from Stony Brook is available and from the way things have been going on here at Syracuse he might just be the perfect fit here.He might have to take a pay cut though;)

Well Jim Fiore from Stony Brook is available and from the way things have been going on here at Syracuse he might just be the perfect fit here.He might have to take a pay cut though;)
believe it or not, given s.b. history ---that would be a possibility hire except for his history. that is not good

believe it or not, given s.b. history ---that would be a possibility hire except for his history. that is not good
actually I was being sarcastic on him.:noidea:

What does anyone think of Tim Pernetti? His resume is not just good, it's great, especially when we talk of wanting bigger TV money, better fundraising, football centric, strong NY/NJ ties, an understanding of our past, etc. He got Rutgers in the B1G. I know, I know, he's a Rutgers guy and affiliated with plenty of scandle (Mike Rice) as well as Schiano, but he inhereted Schiano. He's been out of the AD business for about 2 years, maybe the time is right?

I have no problem with either Carparelli or Manhertz getting the job.

What does anyone think of Tim Pernetti? His resume is not just good, it's great, especially when we talk of wanting bigger TV money, better fundraising, football centric, strong NY/NJ ties, an understanding of our past, etc. He got Rutgers in the B1G. I know, I know, he's a Rutgers guy and affiliated with plenty of scandle (Mike Rice) as well as Schiano, but he inhereted Schiano. He's been out of the AD business for about 2 years, maybe the time is right?
Not sure I would go as far as to say he got them into the B1G. As soon as he saw the caller ID, he picked up the phone and said, "We accept!"

He was forced to resign. No thanks. We have to run a very clean ship from now on.

No

i agree and if mulcahy is not to old i would talk with him

That would be a no. Besides the fact that his past is checkered in scandal, he probably doesn't even know how to pump his own gas at a self-serve station.

IMO, it should be someone who knows the University and the culture of SU athletics. Full disclosure, since I've been friends of both of these guys for years and are in the tank with both of them, but it should be either Nick Carparelli or John Hardt.

I like the idea of Nick Carparelli too, but I wanted to offer an alternative thought.

For the record, Pernetti was considered a leading candidate to replace Tranghese as BE commissioner. He is currently the President of IMG college, which means he has a hand currently in representing SU. He played football in the Big East and was in the same position at another school albeit Rutgers and proceeded to make them relevant. For those who want to say all he had to do was answer the phone when the B1G came calling need only look at Cincy or UConn, two schools who didn't put themselves in a postition to get a call. For the record, none of that was an NCAA violation. He made a bad hire. We've never had an AD do that, I know.

Ease off the NJ bashing, we are recruiting there pretty heavily, like we did when we had great on field success in football. I think the guy is an interesting option, but I am not crazy about the checkered past.

Doug Logan has a better shot of being the next AD than Pernetti. He failed to address a major coach abusing his players. Not someone who is going to appeal to the direction SU is heading.

No idea who the next AD is but can't we all assume he or she will have to have an absolutely spotless background with the NCAA?
I don't know. Emmert's more-than-spotty record with the NCAA didn't keep him from getting a job with the NCAA.

longtimefan said:
I don't know. Emmert's more-than-spotty record with the NCAA didn't keep him from getting a job with the NCAA.

I kind of assumed that's why he got hired.

I like the idea of Nick Carparelli too, but I wanted to offer an alternative thought.

For the record, Pernetti was considered a leading candidate to replace Tranghese as BE commissioner. He is currently the President of IMG college, which means he has a hand currently in representing SU. He played football in the Big East and was in the same position at another school albeit Rutgers and proceeded to make them relevant. For those who want to say all he had to do was answer the phone when the B1G came calling need only look at Cincy or UConn, two schools who didn't put themselves in a postition to get a call. For the record, none of that was an NCAA violation. He made a bad hire. We've never had an AD do that, I know.

Ease off the NJ bashing, we are recruiting there pretty heavily, like we did when we had great on field success in football. I think the guy is an interesting option, but I am not crazy about the checkered past.
the power behind the ru rise was mulcahy--that said --pernetti would be a good front man---he has media experience, ad experience albiet, a school new to big time, n.e. connections etc. he was new to a school that had a horrible ad dept and got a new pres to boot!---he would be worth an interview --at least

the power behind the ru rise was mulcahy--that said --pernetti would be a good front man---he has media experience, ad experience albiet, a school new to big time, n.e. connections etc. he was new to a school that had a horrible ad dept and got a new pres to boot!---he would be worth an interview --at least

Need someone who for one thing knows how to stay within a budget.

GoSU96 said:

I don't think that will go unchecked this time around.

Why exactly? Are you saying that because the educational purpose of the institution is more important than sports? Or do you truly believe that spending less will HELP the Athdept?

I, for one, hope we get an AD that pushes for
appropriate expenditures that will keep us competitive. I'd much prefer someone creative and efficient and who can stretch a dollar over someone who can simply balance a check book. But I'm interested to hear why you believe that will strengthen SU's athletics.

GoSU96 said:

Why exactly? Are you saying that because the educational purpose of the institution is more important than sports? Or do you truly believe that spending less will HELP the Athdept?

appropriate expenditures that will keep us competitive. I'd much prefer someone creative and efficient and who can stretch a dollar over someone who can simply balance a check book. But I'm interested to hear why you believe that will strengthen SU's athletics.

SU has plenty of money to spend.

The point is that anyone from Rutgers came from an environment where they were underwritten by the State of New Jersey.

You are right that the next AD needs to be efficient. Spending wisely has been a problem and needs to be corrected this time around.

I care less about the budget and more about getting someone who will shake up this place to get a winning football program.