2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Giants getting some friendly officiating today.

Not a fan of either team FWIW.

NY Jets at 3-1 are looking good. Buffalo is still a playoff team but my god does Rex Ryan coach an undisciplined team.

Always has
The cheap shots the Bills defenders took at the end and the PFs they got called for just showed how a Ryan team is coached.
Buffalo is a 10 win team still as long as they don't implode.

The cheap shots the Bills defenders took at the end and the PFs they got called for just showed how a Ryan team is coached.
Buffalo is a 10 win team still as long as they don't implode.
Not sure I see 10 wins in their schedule, but I do think they could make the playoffs, if, as you say, they don't implode. Problem is, Rex's teams have a habit of imploding. Or shooting themselves in the foot (pun intended :D ).

Well, the Bills just scored more legitimate TDs than the Giants with their two stars out of the game so they have a shot.

I said it in another post: "Discipline" is such a ridiculous word...the Giants had 8 bad penalties that were un-disciplined, including like 4 delay of games.

The Bills had no personal fouls until the game was well-over, decided by completely biased officiating.

You'd be upset too, if you were a competitor.

A "chop-block" above the waist.

Honestly, are the officials reviewed?

Well, the Bills just scored more legitimate TDs than the Giants with their two stars out of the game so they have a shot.

I said it in another post: "Discipline" is such a ridiculous word...the Giants had 8 bad penalties that were un-disciplined, including like 4 delay of games.

The Bills had no personal fouls until the game was well-over, decided by completely biased officiating.

You'd be upset too, if you were a competitor.

A "chop-block" above the waist.

Honestly, are the officials reviewed?
I blame the awful penalty calls on Belichick. I mean the guy was the Defensive Coordinator for the Giants in the 1980's and early 1990's and we all know how much he loves the NYG organization. It is obvious Belichick had something to do with it.
Delay of games aren't undisciplined they are signs of a good crowd and a defense confusing the QB into checking into a new play.
The Giants D dominated the Buffalo O. The Bills D played okay but Eli and the NY OL played really well. Even if the Bills got that TD on the chop block to Clay their was 52 seconds left and the Giants had no business passing on 3rd down up 14 when Eli threw that pick. I bet Rex Ryan believes the NYG were trying to embarrass the Bills like he accused the Patriots of doing this week. I bet he will reference that during this week as well. Rex needs to stop overcharging his team and install some discipline.

The chop block, the non-existent holding penalty (on Syracuse's own Bromley) that happened right in front of two officials and the game announcers said wasn't close to a hold in slo mo or real time.

My personal favorite: the first down completion to Clay where they call Off PI. The replay of the call is hysterical. They show the D player engaged with Clay...the official clearly looks away to the line-action...Clay gets open, pass completed and the official turns back, sees Clay open and pulls his flag.

Truly unbelievable.

these were not discipline issues. They were examples of egregiously bad officiating that didn't occur to both sides.

The Bills need to learn that in this NFL you need to pass-first to set up the run. It's pretty clear.

And they are not going to get any benefit of the doubt from the league/officials, so they're going to have to play differently/cleaner than the opponent from here on out.

Seems like every week we keep hearing about how the Bills got robbed. Now I can definitely listen to when bad officiating occurs, but c'mon. The announcers I was listening to, said that game was one of the worst disciplined teams they've ever seen, and "you can't make this up". Now they did call out the bs chop block, but the Bills shot themselves in the foot many times. You can blame refs for one bad game, but this is becoming a pattern in blaming them.

I hear you but fwiw the reddit thread had quite a few "Bills getting the jobbed" comments from random/neutral fans. Like SU hoops I'm pretty much conditioned to not expect any marginal calls on the road but it is pretty infuriating they can't catch a break in their stadium. It's like they still call CJ for the charge in Cameron but also Christmas gets whistled for the block in the Dome.

Seems like every week we keep hearing about how the Bills got robbed. Now I can definitely listen to when bad officiating occurs, but c'mon. The announcers I was listening to, said that game was one of the worst disciplined teams they've ever seen, and "you can't make this up". Now they did call out the bs chop block, but the Bills shot themselves in the foot many times. You can blame refs for one bad game, but this is becoming a pattern in blaming them.

"Every week"? I must have missed the comments after last week's game or after the opener.

Let's face it - the chop block call on Incognito ( which wiped a Clay TD off the board) and the Clay OPI were horrible calls, and the hold on Urbik which negated a Taylor TD was marginal, at best.

To top that off, Randle was clearly down at the 1 on his "TD".

That said, the Bills were terrible today, and didn't deserve to win. Roman called a very poor game, Carpenter missed a chippie, and Rex's defensive scheme continues to neuter the team's biggest strength - the DL.

"Every week"? I must have missed the comments after last week's game or after the opener.

Let's face it - the chop block call on Incognito ( which wiped a Clay TD off the board) and the Clay OPI were horrible calls, and the hold on Urbik which negated a Taylor TD was marginal, at best.

To top that off, Randle was clearly down at the 1 on his "TD".

That said, the Bills were terrible today, and didn't deserve to win. Roman called a very poor game, Carpenter missed a chippie, and Rex's defensive scheme continues to neuter the team's biggest strength - the DL.
Well it "seems" that way to me. But c'mon, what 15 penalties today? Take away a few and it's still more than anyone can blame on getting beat by refs.

ssbriefcase said:
Well it "seems" that way to me. But c'mon, what 15 penalties today? Take away a few and it's still more than anyone can blame on getting beat by refs.

It was 17 and, um, the refs threw the flags. All of em.

And a significant number were a joke.

Unlike a normal game there were few false starts etc. these were all big-boy ref I'm gonna change the game calls

Orangeman said:
It was 17 and, um, the refs threw the flags. All of em.

And a significant number were a joke.

Unlike a normal game there were few false starts etc. these were all big-boy ref I'm gonna change the game calls

And the players caused them to be thrown, quit blaming the refs and look to the team itself.

Are bad calls made at times, sure, but no team loses solely on some premeditated ref agenda.

And the players caused them to be thrown, quit blaming the refs and look to the team itself.

Are bad calls made at times, sure, but no team loses solely on some premeditated ref agenda.

Has anyone in this thread actually blamed the loss on officiating?

Has anyone in this thread actually blamed the loss on officiating?
Does this count?

That was from post #107

Does this count?

That was from post #107

I didn't post that, so I don't want to put words into the poster's mouth, but I don't think that he meant that the sole cause for the loss was the officiating.

The chop block, the non-existent holding penalty (on Syracuse's own Bromley) that happened right in front of two officials and the game announcers said wasn't close to a hold in slo mo or real time.

My personal favorite: the first down completion to Clay where they call Off PI. The replay of the call is hysterical. They show the D player engaged with Clay...the official clearly looks away to the line-action...Clay gets open, pass completed and the official turns back, sees Clay open and pulls his flag.

Truly unbelievable.

these were not discipline issues. They were examples of egregiously bad officiating that didn't occur to both sides.

The Bills need to learn that in this NFL you need to pass-first to set up the run. It's pretty clear.

And they are not going to get any benefit of the doubt from the league/officials, so they're going to have to play differently/cleaner than the opponent from here on out.
THIS

If you watched the game, name one iffy call on the Giants...

I can name 3 on Buffalo.

-Clay Offensive PI
-Incognito chop block
-Holding that negated a 35 yard TT touchdown run

2 of those calls brought back Touchdowns.

Oh, and here's 2 iffy non-calls on the Giants.

-No roughing the passer on TT in the pocket
-No roughing the passer on TT on the sideline.

Last edited:
Fwiw, I don't blame the guys for losing their ish at the end of the game. As bad as we played , we could've won and the refs weren't about to let that happen. Kyle Williams of all people called out the refs, he literally never does that, ever, dude is the consummate gentleman.

Remember last season, when an official warned a Patriot defender that he was lined up over the center on a Field Goal attempt? Would have been nice if the Bills were warned, instead of flagged for this today - it wound up costing them 4 points.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-refs-conduct-on-jets-field-goal-not-unusual

Thanks for finding this. I was trying to remember this controversy.

Yes, we're used to selective application of the rules as fans of a small-market team. Clear bias in terms of how this is officiated depending on the desired outcome.

Reading between the lines, the Head of Officials seems to imply that this is a normal course of events, and since I've never seen a "Lining up Over the Center" penalty called (I have seen Hitting the Center called...apparently we didn't do that) I believe him.

There's no spinning this, warn one team, don't warn another. Gave the Giants 4 points here

As a kinda Bills fan (Tampa is unfortunately my favorite team, but I spent my childhood going to Bills training camp every day/my family are all Bills fans so I watch all of their games and root for them as long as they aren't facing the Bucs), I thought the hold on Tyrod's touchdown run and the chop block were both correct calls. It seemed that the hold was one that could have gone either way; Bromley surely tried to sell it to the ref and it worked. The chop block I thought was pretty obvious though.

As a kinda Bills fan (Tampa is unfortunately my favorite team, but I spent my childhood going to Bills training camp every day/my family are all Bills fans so I watch all of their games and root for them as long as they aren't facing the Bucs), I thought the hold on Tyrod's touchdown run and the chop block were both correct calls. It seemed that the hold was one that could have gone either way; Bromley surely tried to sell it to the ref and it worked. The chop block I thought was pretty obvious though.
The hold was awful imo, but I can understand the chop block call and at that point the TD would've only given us a glimmer of hope, down 7 with a minute left and 3 timeouts. However, the hold call on the Taylor TD run was one of those 50/50 calls that always seem to go against Buffalo. When announcers openly question a call, it usually shouldn't have been made and that one was hugely pivotal in the game. Nevermind the fact that our defensive line gets held on the reg and people like Kyle Williams are actually bringing up the refs which in his 10+ years in the league, he's never done.

I thought the refs were spiteful at the end as well. Honestly, no reason to not call at least one late hit on TT when there were two questionable ones in a row after the game got chippy but they sure as hell were ready to throw Personal Foul flags on us with the quickness.

Not sure I see 10 wins in their schedule, but I do think they could make the playoffs, if, as you say, they don't implode. Problem is, Rex's teams have a habit of imploding. Or shooting themselves in the foot (pun intended :D ).
I think 9 wins could get a WC but 10 should be a lock. Bills, Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, Raiders(?) and Chiefs will probably be vying for 2 spots with Indy (such a joke they get to play in the AFC South), NE, Denver and Cinci taking the divisions.