AJ Long will redshirt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AJ Long will redshirt

I don't agree with this at all. I'm not sold this o-line can keep any of our QB's healthy and to redshirt him might be a recipe for disaster of Hunt goes down

They can always burn the red-shirt like they did last year as was the original plan before Hunt went down.

They can always burn the red-shirt like they did last year as was the original plan before Hunt went down.

True. But I would rather start Hunt and sprinkle in AJ here and there as I think he could be a nice change of pace for the offense, have a package of plays that utilize his skill set and could help the offense. Mix things up once in a while. I'm not sure having him set an entire season is wise. I would rather have him play a little as I think that is a better way to "learn"

True. But I would rather start Hunt and sprinkle in AJ here and there as I think he could be a nice change of pace for the offense, have a package of plays that utilize his skill set and could help the offense. Mix things up once in a while. I'm not sure having him set an entire season is wise. I would rather have him play a little as I think that is a better way to "learn"
Agree with you 100%, if AJ was physically ready, which I don't think he is. He has been here for a year and a half so I wonder if he ever will be. At this point the best thing for AJ is to be hidden away and work on his body IMO.

He'll probably run the scout team offense all year while getting bigger. As always, in case of emergency, break the glass is an option.

I don't disagree about red shirting AJ but to announce it, and this early, is bizarre. Why tip your hand? Especially if your this staff who is basically going covert ops and not letting many details or any practice video be released?

I agree except I'm not sure what in AJ's skill set separates him from Hunt. Would it really be a change of pace?

Based on their videos and if they develop accordingly, I think both Dungey and Womack have far, far more upside than AJ. I wouldn't be surprised if AJ doesn't crack the 2-deep again.

I wonder if the plan is to redshirt Womack as well. My understanding is they brought him in as a QB.

Oh, and then there's Dungey.

I know the story regarding freshman QB's, but you never know.

If they get a verbal from the QB from Jersey, might they move AJ. If so - to where?
im falling behind on recruiting info.. whos the jersey qb?

He'll probably run the scout team offense all year while getting bigger. As always, in case of emergency, break the glass is an option.

I don't disagree about red shirting AJ but to announce it, and this early, is bizarre. Why tip your hand? Especially if your this staff who is basically going covert ops and not letting many details or any practice video be released?

Something tells me that AJ went a little off script in that interview. He was also talking about not getting as many reps and sitting and watching...which sounded pretty odd.

I didn't listen to the interview, but the idea of a redshirt like this is typically a hope, not a decision.

He's clearly not the starter, so ideally, Hunt stays healthy, Long doesn't play, and therefore you use the redshirt.

If Hunt gets hurt, and Long needs to play, he will.

I wonder if it is related to his injuries / nerve damage issue. That might explain why they are announcing it this early. Could be that in addition to the physical maturity benefit, that redshirting would give him additional time to fully recuperate.

Wilson throws a good deep ball, has a strong arm, and is pretty accurate. Good for this type of offense. My only beef with him is that he throws picks that makes no sense, and he cant extend plays when things break down. I think hewill be a solid back up and in position to start the following to years, but I think the last 3 QB's recruited will pass him up by his red shirt jr. year.

Wilson throws a good deep ball, has a strong arm, and is pretty accurate. Good for this type of offense. My only beef with him is that he throws picks that makes no sense, and he cant extend plays when things break down. I think hewill be a solid back up and in position to start the following to years, but I think the last 3 QB's recruited will pass him up by his red shirt jr. year.

It will be interesting to see how "system fit" factors into Wilson's career. Lester's system might play to his strengths.

AJ mentioned in a recent tweet being excited to work with Madei Williams again. Sounds like his plan is to stay with the QB position. I agree with someone above who mentioned this may have been off script.

I am very curious to see how that plays into recruiting as the NJ kid (Brown) is also being trained/coached by Madei. I agree that AJ needs more physical growth and S&C, but I am not sure how this ultimately helps him especially given the two we have coming in, and the prospect of two more coming in behind them. The worst part is that you have 2016 with little game experience and this does not help improve that. Do you really give the scout team reps to AJ, or does Wilson need that work more since he might actually be forced into playing this season? Not really sure how that practice rotation works.

There was a reason that the staff went with Wilson when Hunt was tossed out of the Villanova game. It was because they felt he gave us the best chance to win. Wilson is a work in progress for sure but i think that he will do very well in the new O

Something tells me that AJ went a little off script in that interview. He was also talking about not getting as many reps and sitting and watching...which sounded pretty odd.

I inititally thought he may still be banged up from last year and might not be 100% for a few months. He took a beating last year at times.

There was a reason that the staff went with Wilson when Hunt was tossed out of the Villanova game. It was because they felt he gave us the best chance to win. Wilson is a work in progress for sure but i think that he will do very well in the new O

They went with Wilson against Nova because they still planned on redshirting Long.

I wonder if it is related to his injuries / nerve damage issue. That might explain why they are announcing it this early. Could be that in addition to the physical maturity benefit, that redshirting would give him additional time to fully recuperate.

I have to think this is the case. It can take a long time of for nerve damage to recuperate, sometimes a few years.

They went with Wilson against Nova because they still planned on redshirting Long.

Not to mention, it was the first half of the first game. Wilson had at least been in the program for a year; Long had at that point been in the program for a much shorter duration of time.

if wilson doesnt get hurt i think it would have been a long time before we saw long in a game if at all last year.

if wilson doesnt get hurt i think it would have been a long time before we saw long in a game if at all last year.
Wilson, and AJ split the 1st half against Florida St, and AJ got most of the reps the 2nd half, don't know what you are talking about. Do you mean if Hunt doesn't get hurt? We all have said AJ was going to redshirt, until Hunt went down.

kcsu said:

Wrong. They were trying to preserve AJ'a redshirt against an inferior (on paper) opponent. He rose to #2 when Hunt got injured.

I have to think this is the case. It can take a long time of for nerve damage to recuperate, sometimes a few years.
that's why you don't put undersized 18 year olds out there. especially when you're going to lose anyway

why he was in there throwing 25 yard hail mary's at the end of the year was crazy

sounds like they were still working under the f*ckit plan

I wouldn't be so sure about him running the scout team if he is still dealing with nerve damage... and there is always Mahoney.

what about the kid from oregon????anyone know what he can do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom