AJ Long will redshirt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

AJ Long will redshirt

True. But I would rather start Hunt and sprinkle in AJ here and there as I think he could be a nice change of pace for the offense, have a package of plays that utilize his skill set and could help the offense. Mix things up once in a while. I'm not sure having him set an entire season is wise. I would rather have him play a little as I think that is a better way to "learn"

My guess is that Dungey and Womack both will pass AJ shortly in their careers at SU. No need to sprinklee anyone in when the sprinkle gets beat out.

My guess is that Dungey and Womack both will pass AJ shortly in their careers at SU. No need to sprinklee anyone in when the sprinkle gets beat out.

Well why don't we see what they can do against an ACC defense first before they are vaulted ahead on the depth chart of a kid that threw 2 TD's vs the #1 team in the country as a freshman who should have never been playing to begin with.

Well why don't we see what they can do against an ACC defense first before they are vaulted ahead on the depth chart of a kid that threw 2 TD's vs the #1 team in the country as a freshman who should have never been playing to begin with.

I didn't vault anybody or anoint anybody, I said "my guess" as in my expectation. Both also seem to have better physical tools before they even arrive.

If I am wrong, I will happily admit it.

I was nervous every time I saw a lineman chasing him down

No AJ wasnt and isnt. He has a very weak arm and just doesnt have the strength to play at this level right now. Given a year to watch learn and get stronger i believe that he has a good upside but in this O you dont need to scramble you need to be in position to deliver the ball and Wilson has an arm that is better than of the QB's

i agree. Not sure how anyone could have watched Long and say he is "clearly" better than anyone. Give me Wilson, but its close.

I agree except I'm not sure what in AJ's skill set separates him from Hunt. Would it really be a change of pace?

Based on their videos and if they develop accordingly, I think both Dungey and Womack have far, far more upside than AJ. I wouldn't be surprised if AJ doesn't crack the 2-deep again.

yeah... i dont think we will ever see AJ on the field as a QB here again... which is a good thing. It means we added depth.

No AJ wasnt and isnt. He has a very weak arm and just doesnt have the strength to play at this level right now. Given a year to watch learn and get stronger i believe that he has a good upside but in this O you dont need to scramble you need to be in position to deliver the ball and Wilson has an arm that is better than of the QB's

No question AJ lacks Wilson's arm strength but arm strength is vastly overrated as a QB skill AND Wilson looked absolutely abysmal in all other areas. Now, can experience and development make this slow down for Wilson and make him a solid backup by this fall? Sure, I suppose so. But the reasons AJ was playing had nothing to do with arm strength. My wife could have seen the difference there. The differences were in basically every other relevant area of being the QB of a football team.

yeah... i dont think we will ever see AJ on the field as a QB here again... which is a good thing. It means we added depth.

Not seeing AJ at QB b/c we have a better option is fine with me, but I'm not sure what people saw in Wilson last year (not saying it couldn't happen this year) to suggest he was even close to as effective as AJ at QB. His adjusted QBR was half as much, he made nothing happen with his legs and while he had a higher completion percentage, he basically looked completely lost.

Willson has a stronger arm, yes. The idea that he is a better QB is absolutely insane based on what we saw. Maybe he develops in other areas and that arm he has becomes a better asset -- that's not a crazy supposition. But suggesting he was even close to as good as Long last year is utter nonsense ... at least if you value any statistical evaluation whatsoever.

I didn't listen to the interview, but the idea of a redshirt like this is typically a hope, not a decision.

He's clearly not the starter, so ideally, Hunt stays healthy, Long doesn't play, and therefore you use the redshirt.

If Hunt gets hurt, and Long needs to play, he will.

Yeah, and let's not rule out the idea that Hunt, who has shown judgment we'll generously call 'questionable' in the past, remains a bit of wild card in terms of conduct.

All of those kids were thrown to the wolves last year. I dont think that it is fair to judge any of them. They had an OC who was horrible, Injuries, unreal schedule, it was a complete cluster for all of them. I believe that the reason AJ is the one chosen to RS is multiple. A he does need to get stronger. He looks like a child out there makes Hunt look like a lineman. B he has talent and i believe that he is being groomed to start when Hunt graduates. C and this is a wild card he and Hunt seem to clash. It is clear that the staff is going to ride Hunt this year and i believe that AJ being out of the picture helps team unity. As to Wilson you can tell that he can throw the ball. Does he need to improve a ton yes of course but when it comes to a pure throwing motion and arm strength i believe he is head and shoulders above the rest.

the flaw in this is that throwing motion and arm strength are great, but only when the total package includes a ton of other attributes. Right now Wilson looks great throwing the ball on the sidelines. I'm not knocking him or that general assessment, but merely pointing out that as much physical development as AJ needs, Wilson's need for development in those other areas is at the very least equal to AJ's.

So AJ will try to redshirt again, but if, god forbid, Hunt and Wilson go down again Long will be back in action? I'd almost prefer they have an alternate plan. I mean hopefully we don't burn through our 1st and 2nd string qb's again, but if that happens I would hope they would go with Womack, or Dungey to preserve Long's redshirt, otherwise he would have wasted 2 seasons where he was just thrown in mid-season.

So AJ will try to redshirt again, but if, god forbid, Hunt and Wilson go down again Long will be back in action? I'd almost prefer they have an alternate plan. I mean hopefully we don't burn through our 1st and 2nd string qb's again, but if that happens I would hope they would go with Womack, or Dungey to preserve Long's redshirt, otherwise he would have wasted 2 seasons where he was just thrown in mid-season.
Would rather they burn another year with AJ instead of Womack or Dungey.

I liked what Aj did not sure why people down on him. Yea clemson game was rough but the kid can be good he was a freshmen kid wasn't fully ready to play. Think he might be our starter in 16. Am interested to see dungey and Womack tho.

If Hunt were to get hurt again, god forbid, Shafer will go with whatever QB he thinks gives us the best chance of winning. He has to win some games or he won't be here.

I am just glad everyone on the board has not bashed AJ. Constructive criticism is and will be a motivator for this kid. He has been a big supporter of the program since day 1. What kid gets "Syracuse" tattooed on the inside of his right arm that isn't completely dedicated.

I saw some good things and some bad things last year, but like we have all said he was just a Freshman. I hope he get the chance to redshirt this year and takes the reigns next year. He seems to have a lot of heart after watching some of the shots he took last year, while continuing to take more snaps afterward. Like the rest of the board, I would love to see this kid succeed.

I am just glad everyone on the board has not bashed AJ. Constructive criticism is and will be a motivator for this kid. He has been a big supporter of the program since day 1. What kid gets "Syracuse" tattooed on the inside of his right arm that isn't completely dedicated.

I saw some good things and some bad things last year, but like we have all said he was just a Freshman. I hope he get the chance to redshirt this year and takes the reigns next year. He seems to have a lot of heart after watching some of the shots he took last year, while continuing to take more snaps afterward. Like the rest of the board, I would love to see this kid succeed.

I'm not sure how anyone can make a fair critical assessment of him based on last year, outside of him having to improve his strength in general and his arm strength (imagine that, a true freshman that should have been redshirting is weaker than he should be - wow groundbreaking stuff there). He had the nerve issue in his arm, which definitely affected his performance. He had a swiss cheese line due to injuries which definitely affected his performance. And he had a change in OC's and the general confusion that comes along with that which definitely affected his performance. And with the line issues, he had inconsistent, at best, help from the run game. Way too many variables there to expect a true freshman to rise above.

I for one will reserve judgement until I see him playing when he's healthy, physically ready to play and has a healthy line in front of him so he doesn't have to look like he's holding a hand grenade everytime he drops back. He may or may not end up being "the guy" but he deserves a fair shake.

I'm just going to throw this out there - He wants to be great. He's showing desire and a work effort like few kids we've seen/ heard.

Let me just recap:
1. His persistent positive attitude towards the school/ program
2. His early arrival - graduating high school early and foregoing social aspects of being a senior in HS
3. His desire now to redshirt (give him the most time to be a great player). The opposite of many high school basketball players looking to get to the NBA ASAP
4. Taking the investment to go to NJ and pay for private training with Madei Williams
5. Spending his spring break training with Williams, not on a beach having fun

- I hope this kid loves football, because his dedication and drive is inspiring. He is spending a lot of time on it

https://instagram.com/p/0B1xHLytAa/

I'm not sure how anyone can make a fair critical assessment of him based on last year, outside of him having to improve his strength in general and his arm strength (imagine that, a true freshman that should have been redshirting is weaker than he should be - wow groundbreaking stuff there). He had the nerve issue in his arm, which definitely affected his performance. He had a swiss cheese line due to injuries which definitely affected his performance. And he had a change in OC's and the general confusion that comes along with that which definitely affected his performance. And with the line issues, he had inconsistent, at best, help from the run game. Way too many variables there to expect a true freshman to rise above.

I for one will reserve judgement until I see him playing when he's healthy, physically ready to play and has a healthy line in front of him so he doesn't have to look like he's holding a hand grenade everytime he drops back. He may or may not end up being "the guy" but he deserves a fair shake.

Thank god, someone with a little sense. Aj did well, considering. We never had the pleasure of seeing Hunt play as a freshman but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been pretty.

Not seeing AJ at QB b/c we have a better option is fine with me, but I'm not sure what people saw in Wilson last year (not saying it couldn't happen this year) to suggest he was even close to as effective as AJ at QB. His adjusted QBR was half as much, he made nothing happen with his legs and while he had a higher completion percentage, he basically looked completely lost.

Willson has a stronger arm, yes. The idea that he is a better QB is absolutely insane based on what we saw. Maybe he develops in other areas and that arm he has becomes a better asset -- that's not a crazy supposition. But suggesting he was even close to as good as Long last year is utter nonsense ... at least if you value any statistical evaluation whatsoever.
GM O was not suited to Wilsons strength. Lesters is. I do think you will see a him do well this year. AJ can also do well but he needs to get stronger which this rs season will allow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom