All this team really needs is a few playmakers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

All this team really needs is a few playmakers

Just to simplify it do you really think there are 5 ACC teams with the combo of those positions that are better? Sure there are better Individuals at each position, But the combo of quality QB, outside #1 WR, inside #1 WR, and TE is easily matched.

If you think it is so easy to dispel provide the examples.

You replied to someone who was talking about the P5 overall and then later stated few teams have our combo of #1 players. Potentially in the ACC, even then I would say we aren’t quite unique in talent yet but I was replying to the idea we have some of the best #1’s in the entire country.

If that’s not what you meant then I misinterpreted. If that is what you meant, technically you made the statement originally so you should be proving the details.

He has definitely taken his game up a level.

I'm not sure how good he is, really though.

I don't think he's as good as Kevin Johnson was, for example.

Right.

He is very solid but does not have Kevin Johnson speed and that will be a problem at the next level.

Understood. But if a unit has a lot of underclassmen (like our DEs, or the OL), the improvement comes as the group matures. Or if a unit has seniors (Ishmael & Phillips; or our LB group), you start over. Our defense is an example -- way too young in 2015, medium young in 2016, very experienced core group in 2017, augmented by grad transfers & jucos.

I don’t disagree and you’re definitely right. I think I disagree with the idea we will be better next year solely because the players will get better. That doesn’t take into account the other teams also getting better or that players unfortunately regress as well, or don’t have the ceiling to improve significantly.

But with more talented players I believe we are bringing in, the last part should be largely a moot issue.

Well duh KJ was the 32nd pick in the draft. Ish is a very good college WR.

Eh, not really. OL play improves and the inside zone running game gets better, the guys on the outside will really look like playmakers. Better talent obviously helps, but this volume pass offense will really take off if the defense has to respect the run between the tackles.

Robinson is a superstar in the making. Next year, if the LB unit can step up and Slayton returns, our D could be really, really good.

Offensively, Ishmael is good but in my opinion he's replaceable. Best thing about him is his hands. Hopefully Butler/Custis step up or one/two of the RFr./Fr. is the real deal.

Biggest loss is Erv IMO. Not convinced with Riley or Johnson as WRs yet.

Robinson is a superstar in the making. Next year, if the LB unit can step up and Slayton returns, our D could be really, really good.

Offensively, Ishmael is good but in my opinion he's replaceable. Best thing about him is his hands. Hopefully Butler/Custis step up or one/two of the RFr./Fr. is the real deal.

I think Neal could be Erv-esque.

We can win with our QB-WR-TE combo. The system will work with a sub standard RB or a sub standard OL but it can not work with both being sub standard. You can get away with one but not both. Once one of those pick up we will be good. With a good line Strickland would be fine as he can run straight ahead for 3-5 yards a play and thus offense will work at a high level.

Wow, we are gonna miss erv and ISH next year. Still such ybe bias that they can't be legitimate losses bc dino didnt recruit them. Best thing about ish is his hands? That's like saying the best thing about altuve is his hitting. And we are gonna wait for custis to step up like we have for 4 years? I agree robinson is gonna be good off tbe edge.

Wow, we are gonna miss erv and ISH next year. Still such ybe bias that they can't be legitimate losses bc dino didnt recruit them. Best thing about ish is his hands? That's like saying the best thing about altuve is his hitting. And we are gonna wait for custis to step up like we have for 4 years? I agree robinson is gonna be good off tbe edge.

It has nothing to do with bias. Ishmael has had a great year and obviously improved. Just think we can find players to replace him and actually be better, with time.

It has nothing to do with bias. Ishmael has had a great year and obviously improved. Just think we can find players to replace him and actually be better, with time.

Ok, i hope we do, but good luck with that. He was a stud 2 years ago before AET last year. People on this board have short memories and only care about the latest and greatest.

I think Dungey is emerging as something in between a very good and an elite QB.

That said, most good defenses can take away both Erv and Ish in a given game.

It's why we need other weapons to emerge. Pierce basically arrived yesterday. Butler also broke through. Elmore had his moments, and Strick had one of his best games in Orange.

But all that came against a poor defense and may be fool's gold, or Orange if you like.

We need the other options to show sustainable danger as threats.

We have a roster that isn’t great nor bad but it’s lacking a few NFL talent playmakers. It’s bottom of the P5 in playmakers.

Dino’s scheme has helped.
The offense has sucked for 2 quarters pretty much every game but the opener and we have scored 23, 41, 26, 25, 27 points.

So it’s a lot better than the previous staff and the fact the coaches cleaned up the defense is huge.

This Robinson kid at DE could become a stud. He injured the Pitt QB.

We need a few playmakers and Dino will get this done. Especially with our schedule being softer the next 2 years.
We're basically a Delone Carter and/or Etta away from being pretty good.

Either of those added to the puzzle could very well give us another 2 wins.

Add in a Art/Chandler Jones and/or Jameel McClean, and I think we're undefeated.

We're not far away.

We're basically a Delone Carter and/or Etta away from being pretty good.

Either of those added to the puzzle could very well give us another 2 wins.

Add in a Art/Chandler Jones and/or Jameel McClean, and I think we're undefeated.

We're not far away.

I’d trade any one of those players for Justin Pugh and an experienced C.

From my recollection of Kevin Johnson he (Ish) is a way better blocker. Kick returns, no comparison.

The problem is the other teams have better OL and RBs.

If this team had Gus Edwards the offense we have would be awesome.

Dino’s system on offense works. Our problem is top end talent. Dino’s system is working with 3 star talent in Ishmael and Philips. If he starts getting 4 star WRs a la Baylor we could have Terrence Williams, Corey Coleman, Kendall Wright, Josh Gordon level playmakers in recruiting.
Miami can go jump in a freaking lake.

Big nervous crybabies. I hope we beat them and rough them up.