All Time Classic - Rout in the Big House | Syracusefan.com

All Time Classic - Rout in the Big House

I was there and it was glorious. Surreal since I was at the last game played there before it, the 1997 Ohio State game that Woodson returned the punt on his way to the Heisman and a national title.

Spent the night with some high school buddies that were also freshmen at UofM, wearing Syracuse stuff jumping from party to party on the Michigan campus. Amazing that I didn't get jumped.

I'll have to watch that Michigan game. I've never seen anything except highlights due to the awesomeness of ABC regional broadcasts.

Wow I forgot Musburger called this one. I'm not even sure I was able to watch the game with sound on. It was the weekend after the Labor Day Storm and we still didn't have power at our house. I was only 12, but I made sure my dad took me somewhere where I could watch this one.

1:01:42 mark for one of the best plays in McNabb's career
Good things happen when SU players lose a shoe

635947056584660664-eng-20160327-jla-aw6-062.jpg

I know what I'm going to watch the rest of the day at work. Wait, where's the Go Big Blue banner??

Michigan 98, Miami 98, Clemson 95, Wisconsin 97, VT 96. Some of the best performances I ever saw by Coach P teams against talented opponents.

Outside of 87, West Virginia games don't usually hit the best we've played radar, but each of 95 thru 97 (combined score of 92-17 I think?) were dominant SU performances against good WVU teams, a school who dominated us in 93 and 94 and looked to be passing us by.

I know what I'm going to watch the rest of the day at work. Wait, where's the Go Big Blue banner??

Michigan 98, Miami 98, Clemson 95, Wisconsin 97, VT 96. Some of the best performances I ever saw by Coach P teams against talented opponents.
Good list; Florida 92 would be up there as well. For the late Pasqualoni era, I would add Auburn 01 and Boston College 04.

ND 03. How could I forget that destruction? The Irish were a couple lucky bounces from 38-12 being about 45-3.
It's a good thing that we used the Dome's wind effects (by opening some of the doors) to help blow the Irish off of field.

And Babers has a chance to "get the band back together". Looking at recruiting Kevin Johnson, another WR from NJ, and an athlete from Chesire.

How great would that be.

The size, speed, and talent on those rosters was awesome. Need to get that back.

Those were the days, man.

To me the best thing about 90s SU football was that on any given Saturday we could beat anyone in the country. Our ever-present depth challenges kept us from national title run-type seasons, but when we were healthy and clicking we were so incredibly dangerous. Having that kind of hope every game was something I took for granted. The past 15 years have curb-stomped that out of me.

Those were the days, man.

To me the best thing about 90s SU football was that on any given Saturday we could beat anyone in the country. Our ever-present depth challenges kept us from national title run-type seasons, but when we were healthy and clicking we were so incredibly dangerous. Having that kind of hope every game was something I took for granted. The past 15 years have curb-stomped that out of me.

That stretch was awesome. We were one of the few programs that could count on having a good football and basketball season to look forward to. I took it for granted also.

And Babers has a chance to "get the band back together". Looking at recruiting Kevin Johnson, another WR from NJ, and an athlete from Chesire.

How great would that be.

The size, speed, and talent on those rosters was awesome. Need to get that back.

Unfortunately, there are more competitors. But hopefully Babers offense (and the new Dome) can be the X factor that Deleone's offense and the old Dome once were.

As a Patriots fan it is amazing to see Tom Brady play in this game. That Michigan coaching staff screwing him over co-QBing with Drew Henson is truly laughable nowadays.

Also, you could tell Musberger bet on Syracuse laughing at the double digit underdog status SU had.

There weren't any yet.

Is that a picture from our game?

I've never been to that stadium (was still a little too much just-out-of-college poor in 1998). Would have helped if I just graduated in 4 years like normal people. Anyhow, what always amazes me is how underground that stadium is. I would always expect to see this grand structure, but if you're standing on the pavement outside, you can practically touch the top of the place.

Arrowhead Stadium in KC is the same way. Walked up and said wow looks a lot bigger on TV. Then you get inside and realize yeah...

Is that a picture from our game?

I've never been to that stadium (was still a little too much just-out-of-college poor in 1998). Would have helped if I just graduated in 4 years like normal people. Anyhow, what always amazes me is how underground that stadium is. I would always expect to see this grand structure, but if you're standing on the pavement outside, you can practically touch the top of the place.

Arrowhead Stadium in KC is the same way. Walked up and said wow looks a lot bigger on TV. Then you get inside and realize yeah...

Spot on. When I attended a grad school conference at Michigan, I drove by the stadium and was really surprised by how non-descript it is from the ground level. It looks like a one story building--you'd never know it is the big house.

Compared to other collegiate stadiums that are enormous and impressive as you approach them, it was very deceptive looking. Once you walk inside, the place is sprawling / massive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom