All Time Classic - Rout in the Big House | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

All Time Classic - Rout in the Big House

Spot on. When I attended a grad school conference at Michigan, I drove by the stadium and was really surprised by how non-descript it is from the ground level. It looks like a one story building--you'd never know it is the big house.

Compared to other collegiate stadiums that are enormous and impressive as you approach them, it was very deceptive looking. Once you walk inside, the place is sprawling / massive.

Tennessee and Auburn from the outside look like they rise up to the clouds. It's intimidating as you approach from the tailgate. Good thing I was intoxicated.

Spot on. When I attended a grad school conference at Michigan, I drove by the stadium and was really surprised by how non-descript it is from the ground level. It looks like a one story building--you'd never know it is the big house.

I'm curious as to what the pros and cons are of digging a giant hole vs. building from the ground level up.

There weren't any yet.

Inside the stadium
offensive-linemen-michael-schofield-kyle-kalis-graham-glasglow-and-picture-id183727877
[/QUOTE]

Great find.

I "watched" the first half of this game on a scrambled tv since it wasn't carried locally.

Is that a picture from our game?

Looks to be. You can see an orange contingent on the far endzone. That looks similar to what it looked like in the video.

Looks to be. You can see an orange contingent on the far endzone. That looks similar to what it looked like in the video.

Yeah, that's why I was curious, wondered if that was our group, or if it was just taken from an Illinois game.

One of my favorite games ever. Great road trip even greater game. Tailgated on the golf course there with my brother, cuseguy, SUBarney and Joe (forget his handle). Sat in the SU end zone section you can see in that one pic and had a blast, especially that first half. When the game ended, Kevin Rogers ran down to our section pumping his fists. Loved that guy as a OC/QB coach.

Is that a picture from our game?

I've never been to that stadium (was still a little too much just-out-of-college poor in 1998). Would have helped if I just graduated in 4 years like normal people. Anyhow, what always amazes me is how underground that stadium is. I would always expect to see this grand structure, but if you're standing on the pavement outside, you can practically touch the top of the place.

Arrowhead Stadium in KC is the same way. Walked up and said wow looks a lot bigger on TV. Then you get inside and realize yeah...

Yep, that's of our game. I was about 2/3 of the way up in the corner to the left of the SU section. That was the rededication game for the stadium after an expansion (and the dumbass "halo" that they added around the perimeter of the top that you can see in the picture that was removed shortly thereafter). I was always amazed by the same thing. It looked 20 feet tall from the outside and then you walk in and it was a sea of people.

That game was fantastic. Every UofM fan I know remembers it and remembers how badly SU kicked their ass. I remember how furious I was after the Tennessee game (first game freshman year), and then we had the Labor Day storm right after. Just awesome walking in there against the defending national champions and giving them a thorough and complete beating.

Bought this flag the week before the game and flew it over our tailgate on the Michigan golf course. It still flies over our house every Syracuse football game day.

10639676_10202452054725205_5152324634484189014_n.jpg

Last edited:
That was a tough game for me, I am a Syracuse/Michigan fan for football, I rooted for cuse, but it was tough.

Tennessee and Auburn from the outside look like they rise up to the clouds. It's intimidating as you approach from the tailgate. Good thing I was intoxicated.

Hell Bowling Greens stadium looks more imposing from the outside then the Big House.

LOVE this game. We were one questionable pass interference call the week before from possibly being in the Top 5 after this win.

Still blame P and D for calling SU final offensive possession like complete p@$$*'s

ND 03. How could I forget that destruction? The Irish were a couple lucky bounces from 38-12 being about 45-3.

If I remember correctly, Reyes went nuts that game.

I was on a flight from NY to Vegas while this game was being played. I was so happy when I found out the final score, and then ticked off that I missed seeing us crush them. And even angrier than I already was about the Tennessee game, we were a legit top 5 if we had won that game and this one as another poster mentioned.

If I remember correctly, Reyes went nuts that game.

Reyes and the OL were incredible. On D, both DTs, Ferrara and Gachelin were literally unstoppable.

Thing is, I recall RJ not having such a great game, in an otherwise pretty good senior year (at least the road opener and all the other home games). Missed a few wide open passes, one for a TD. It could have been an all timer on NDs rout list.

That was a fun watch... first time that I'd seen it, as I was living across the pond at the time. Too bad about the garbage time scores.

Hopefully, Dino will get us back to that level of play... at least on an occasional basis (every 3-4 years) while consistently winning 7-9 games each year.

Reyes and the OL were incredible. On D, both DTs, Ferrara and Gachelin were literally unstoppable.

Thing is, I recall RJ not having such a great game, in an otherwise pretty good senior year (at least the road opener and all the other home games). Missed a few wide open passes, one for a TD. It could have been an all timer on NDs rout list.

That Notre Dame team had some good players, Justin Tuck,Brady Quinn, Julius Jones.

We'd lost to the eventual 1998 national champions by point after a controversial call at home, then defeated defending national champion Michigan at their own place, then scored 70 points on poor Rutgers. We were going to run the table, win the national championship, (maybe a rematch with the Vols?) and McNabb was going to win the Heisman Trophy.

Then came the trip to Raleigh...

I remember we were up 38-7 on the Wolverines and the game was looking like it could win up 52-7 or something like that when Coach P sent in the reserves and the home team ran off three quick scores. It looked like a record comeback might be in progress but we held the line there to win 38-28, a great win. I expected the headlines to be all about SU. Instead they were all about NC State, who had upset Florida State. I've always thought if we'd left the starters in, we'd have won by a huge score and gotten all the headlines. Of course, that's not the thing to do up 38-7 in the fourth quarter. But this was against Michigan, a powerful team, and maybe a bit more ruthlessness might have been in order.

Last edited:
We'd lost to the eventual 1998 national champions by point after a controversial call at home, then defeated defending national champion Michigan at their own place, then scored 70 points on poor Rutgers. We were going to run the table, win the national championship, (maybe a rematch with the Vols?) and McNabb was going to win the Heisman Trophy.

Then came the trip to Raleigh...

I remember we were up 38-7 on the Wolverines and the game was looking like it could win up 52-7 or something like that when Coach P sent in the reserves and the home team ran off three quick scores. It looked like a record comeback might be in progress but we held the line there to win 38-28, a great win. I expected the headlines to be all about SU. Instead they were all about NC State, who had upset Florida State. I've always thought if we'd left the starters in, we'd have won by a huge score and gotten all the headlines. Of course, that's not the thing to do up 38-7 in the fourth quarter. But this was against Michigan, a powerful team, and maybe a bit more ruthlessness might have been in order.

That team should have won a national title. ugh.

'97 underachieved
'98 truly was a disappointment in terms of expectations.

to think there was not one 10 win season during the McNabb years shows just how incompetent P was as a gameday coach

They had more talent than nearly EVERY team they faced ... and even the depth excuse is lame, as our 2nd and 3rd had future NFLers on it.

BTW I loved that WR corp ... KJ, Spot, Woodcock, Daryl Daniels, Mo Jackson, Lowe

TE - Brominski

Konrad, McNabb, McIntosh, Brown, Mungro, Sudano, Kyle Johnson, Madei Williams (should have been solo starter after McNabb)

This doesnt even mention the D standouts -- so proud and so sad at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom