All time final four team | Syracusefan.com

All time final four team

dasher

Living Legend
Okay, we can only draw from our final four teams' And you must pick by the position they played when the game started.

PG Jim Bug Williams, Sherman Douglas, Laz Sims, Gerry McNamara, MCW my choice MCW Boy was that a tough decision.,
2 guard Jim Lee, Greg Monroe, jason Cipolla, Kueth Duany, Branson triche my choice Jim Lee
small forward, Chris Sease, Howard Triche, Todd Burgen, Melo, James Southerland, my choice jam...kidding Melo
power forward Rudy hackett, Derrick Coleman, John Wallace, Hak, Fair my choice John Wallace
center ernie siebert , Rony, Otis my man, Forth, Rak my choice Rony

PG: Sherman
2g: Jimmy Lee
SF: Carmelo
PF: Derrick Coleman
C: Rony Seikaly

2G looks like the weak link for us, historically. Too bad that 2012 team didn't make the Final Four, because he would top that group. But was he still coming off the bench by then?

dasher said:
Okay, we can only draw from our final four teams' And you must pick by the position they played when the game started. PG Jim Bug Williams, Sherman Douglas, Laz Sims, Gerry McNamara, MCW my choice MCW Boy was that a tough decision., 2 guard Jim Lee, Greg Monroe, jason Cipolla, Kueth Duany, Branson triche my choice Jim Lee small forward, Chris Sease, Howard Triche, Todd Burgen, Melo, James Southerland, my choice jam...kidding Melo power forward Rudy hackett, Derrick Coleman, John Wallace, Hak, Fair my choice John Wallace center ernie siebert , Rony, Otis my man, Forth, Rak my choice Rony

You forgot some guys

G
Cooney
Mali
Roberson
Coleman

2G looks like the weak link for us, historically. Too bad that 2012 team didn't make the Final Four, because he would top that group. But was he still coming off the bench by then?
At the 4, Hackett averaged 22 pts and 12 rebounds a game. DC, against a better schedule averaged 15 pts., and 8 rebounds a game. A sr Hackett beats a frosh Coleman for me.

You forgot some guys

G
Cooney
Mali
Roberson
Coleman
Sadly, I'm think What is he talking about for a couple of seconds. Why not throw in battle, mali, Lydon, PC and Roberson?
I'm saving that for the head to head match up of National championship teams

At the 4, Hackett averaged 22 pts and 12 rebounds a game. DC, against a better schedule averaged 15 pts., and 8 rebounds a game. A sr Hackett beats a frosh Coleman for me.

I'm not old enough to have watched Hackett play but the guy averaged 22 and 12 on a final four team and never seems to be named alongside the all time SU greats, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

Anybody old enough to remember him care to chime in on this?

Anyway, forcing you to choose guys based on the positions they played at the time changes things. Normally I like to pick a perfect team for the two-three zone, but this talent pool seems to mesh best with the '87 style of man to man D/high tempo O.

I'm not saying my choices are the best at each position, but I think the following guys would make up a well rounded team that would be very good and very fun to watch play a high tempo, man to man style.

Douglas
Duany
Southerland
Warrick (Would Warrick and Douglas be the all time most fun to watch SU pairing?)
Seikaly

Off the bench:
McNamara
Bergan
Rak

Okay, we can only draw from our final four teams' And you must pick by the position they played when the game started.

PG Jim Bug Williams, Sherman Douglas, Laz Sims, Gerry McNamara, MCW my choice MCW Boy was that a tough decision.,
2 guard Jim Lee, Greg Monroe, jason Cipolla, Kueth Duany, Branson triche my choice Jim Lee
small forward, Chris Sease, Howard Triche, Todd Burgen, Melo, James Southerland, my choice jam...kidding Melo
power forward Rudy hackett, Derrick Coleman, John Wallace, Hak, Fair my choice John Wallace

Note: I'm moving guys so I can pick them:

PG - Pearl
2G - GMAC
SF - Melo
PF - Wallace
C - Bouie

Backups:

PG - Sherm
2G -Thompson
SF - Addison
PF - Owens
C - DC

And...I just saw Final Four teams so I have placed myself in the penalty box...Carry on...

So, I said the he!! with it and just decided to list by 10 favorite players to have worn the orange (and white and blue and silver)...and shoehorned them in to positions to make them fit...Sorry.

Last edited:

Out of all the "dream lineups" posted on this board over the years, I don't think we've ever seen this combination. Yet it might be better than all of them.

Though I could imagine 19-year-old Carmelo and Derrick getting a little chippy with each other.

Billy Edelin says hello

Can anyone track down Hackett's final 4 stats? Coleman's 19 boards in the Final seal his selection IMO. I believe he was the leading rebounder for the entirety of the tourney.

PG Sherman
SG Lee
SF Anthony
PF Coleman
C Seikaly

UnderHisOwnPower said:
Billy Edelin says hello

Billy was playing the bench when the game started.

forwards i'd have to go with carmelo and john wallace. they both basically carried their teams to the F4 on their backs.
derrick coleman was perhaps the greatest player ever to wear orange but was just a frosh against indiana. jdub a senior.
for the guards i'd go with sherman point and jimmy lee at the 2. gerry was a true 2 and edelin ran the point better.
center is tough. i'd give the slight edge to rony over otis "my man"hill. otis had reafsnyder. and rony scored elsa benitez.

Elsa_Benitez_victoriassecret.filminspector.com_10.jpg

Forza Azzurri said:
Note: I'm moving guys so I can pick them: PG - Pearl 2G - GMAC SF - Wallace PF - DC C - Bouie Hardest pick for me was Pearl vs Sherm...If I can put one of them at the 2, I slide Sherm in and slide out GMAC... If Wallace has to be the four, then I slide him in over DC and bring in Addison who beats out Owens by a nose (a lip? ;)).. Regardless, that is my JB 7 man rotation with Owens coming in at #8 if JB decides to extend the bench... And...I just saw Final Four teams so I have placed myself in the penalty box...Carry on...

Man, you're lucky you called yourself out. This thread had potential.

Sadly, I'm think What is he talking about for a couple of seconds. Why not throw in battle, mali, Lydon, PC and Roberson?
I'm saving that for the head to head match up of National championship teams

Well Cooney is actually legit. He has played in a Final Four for us.

Man, you're lucky you called yourself out. This thread had potential.

Hey, when I'm an idiot, I have no problem admitting it...

Next up: Hooked on Phonics to help with board reading comprehension...

Sherm & GMac in the back court (starting positions be damned)
Melo, DC and Rony up front

full roster would include Billy E and Marty Byrnes at the end of the bench

Hey, when I'm an idiot, I have no problem admitting it...

Next up: Hooked on Phonics to help with board reading comprehension...

You had me thinking I was crazy for a minute. :) I was positive that Pearl had left in 1986 and missed the 1987 final four by one year.

Cool concept!

I'll go with Sherman Douglas at point.
Kueth Duany at 2
Melo at 3
Derrick Coleman at 4 [who I think would co-exist just fine with Carmelo on the court, as DC was a great passer who played unselfishly]
Rony in the post.

So why Duany? First of all, there's only one basketball, and I envision he'd be more of a 3 and D guy who would be wide open for the few shots he took in half court offensive sets, and not a guy who would need to score / shoot a lot in order to be effective. He'd be the role player in the bunch. Just play defense, hustle, and kite out on the fast break.

We'd give up some size with Sherman playing in the zone, if we went by today's system, but could also thrive in man. We'd kill teams on the boards with three of the top rebounders in program history, and get lots of easy scoring opportunities in transition with the General running the show. Imagine the shot blocking! Kind of like the 2012 team on steroids.

This team would make the 2016 Oklahoma team look like they play at a "slow" pace.

I'll second your selection, but not your comment. If the 3-point shot had existed, Jimmy would have been the best we ever had I think.

You had me thinking I was crazy for a minute. :) I was positive that Pearl had left in 1986 and missed the 1987 final four by one year.

Well...I'm not sure what the color of the sky is in your world but, in my world, we blew out Navy for the second time that season, absolutely annihilated Cleveland State and then squeaked by Duke to get to the Final Four...

This team would not lose... ever.

Fair point. Rudy Hackett remains a bit of a forgotten player in our history. It's tough to beat Coleman's game in the Finals against Indiana, though. That was a remarkable performance.

forwards i'd have to go with carmelo and john wallace. they both basically carried their teams to the F4 on their backs.
derrick coleman was perhaps the greatest player ever to wear orange but was just a frosh against indiana. jdub a senior.
for the guards i'd go with sherman point and jimmy lee at the 2. gerry was a true 2 and edelin ran the point better.
center is tough. i'd give the slight edge to rony over otis "my man"hill. otis had reafsnyder. and rony scored elsa benitez.

Elsa_Benitez_victoriassecret.filminspector.com_10.jpg

I'd like to take a closer look at those two moles and maybe give them an oral examination.

I'll second your selection, but not your comment. If the 3-point shot had existed, Jimmy would have been the best we ever had I think.

Well. Greg Kohls might argue with you on that point. And as I have watched Jimmy Lee video over the years (thank you, YouTube!), you will notice that he was not such a deep shooter. Most of his shots came from around the top of the key. Kohls' range was anywhere from Euclid Avenue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom