Amazing How Bad Our Offense | Syracusefan.com

Amazing How Bad Our Offense

Cuse Action

2nd String
is. Any decent offensive team would be up by 15 at the half. BTW, does JB realize how bad he appears screaming at his kids with that crazed look on his face?

JB has been badly outcoached by Bennett twice now. At least this year you could say that UVA obviously had the better players, but our lack of ball movement was still inexcusable.

JB has been badly outcoached by Bennett twice now. At least this year you could say that UVA obviously had the better players, but our lack of ball movement was still inexcusable.
Take away Tyler and Roc and you have 9 for 30. Ball movement for much of the game was good. Nobody making shots.

Take away Tyler and Roc and you have 9 for 30. Ball movement for much of the game was good. Nobody making shots.

There were times when the ball never left the left side of the court. I agree that we missed some open shots and some bunnies but UVA was very good at defending our unstructured offense. What scares me is I'm not sure who our superstar is going to be that we can isolate next year. Without a guy who can create his own shot our offense stalls quickly.

This is a very flawed offensive team and at game 30 it isn't going to change this season.

When Cooney and Gbinije go 7-23 from the field (3-14 from 3 point range) and that's an improvement over 10-36 (3-17 from 3 point range) that is death for this offense. Good teams have no reason to defend Joseph or Patterson when they are in the game. Johnson isn't a consistent threat from the outside and Roberson will be allowed to shoot all the 15 foot jumpers he wants so they can double Rak before the catch.

The shame of the season is that Joseph couldn't develop to a point where he could put back to back decent games together. He had more opportunities to develop than most freshmen would have normally gotten based on his november/december production but just never seemed to improve. Hopefully a summer in the program getting stronger and working on his game can turn him into a productive contributor.

tbonezone said:
i'm not a fan of using your bench solely as a penalty box rather than as a weapon.
That is a great line

Conrad13 said:
There were times when the ball never left the left side of the court. I agree that we missed some open shots and some bunnies but UVA was very good at defending our unstructured offense. What scares me is I'm not sure who our superstar is going to be that we can isolate next year. Without a guy who can create his own shot our offense stalls quickly.

Was thinking the same. Some good returning players, but no superstar ISO player and anyone that can rebound against a good rebounding team.

Virginia was a good measuring stick of where we need to be.

This is a very flawed offensive team and at game 30 it isn't going to change this season.

When Cooney and Gbinije go 7-23 from the field (3-14 from 3 point range) and that's an improvement over 10-36 (3-17 from 3 point range) that is death for this offense. Good teams have no reason to defend Joseph or Patterson when they are in the game. Johnson isn't a consistent threat from the outside and Roberson will be allowed to shoot all the 15 foot jumpers he wants so they can double Rak before the catch.

The shame of the season is that Joseph couldn't develop to a point where he could put back to back decent games together. He had more opportunities to develop than most freshmen would have normally gotten based on his november/december production but just never seemed to improve. Hopefully a summer in the program getting stronger and working on his game can turn him into a productive contributor.

Maybe he really is a terrible 3 point shooter but I would have liked to see Joseph try a few open threes. It really was amazing to see teams sag off him by 6 feet (and then he would still pass the ball as soon as he could get rid of it!).

You can't put this loss on Boeheim being outcoached. He had a bad team with McCullough. It's a terrible team without him.

I wouldn't say Bennett outcoached him either year. Bennett just had the better team each year (combination of coaching and talent).

Was thinking the same. Some good returning players, but no superstar ISO player and anyone that can rebound against a good rebounding team.

Virginia was a good measuring stick of where we need to be.

McCullough can rebound really well from what we saw and Diagne is a really thick freshman. Rebounding shouldn't be any sort of problem next season. Roberson is a proven rebounder and Coleman is built for boxing out haha.

I think CMac could develop into a really nice iso player if he gets the right mentality.

McCullough can rebound really well from what we saw and Diagne is a really thick freshman. Rebounding shouldn't be any sort of problem next season. Roberson is a proven rebounder and Coleman is built for boxing out haha.

I think CMac could develop into a really nice iso player if he gets the right mentality.
If we get Bryant, then between he, Diagne, Roberson, Coleman, and McCullough I'm not going to be remotely worried about rebounding next season.

Love the optimism. CMac probably is our best bet. I hope that his rehab goes well. If he becomes the centerpiece of the offense he could score a few points next year.

Gbinije and Cooney - our two "best" shooters - have combined to hit 10 of their last 55 three pointers.

At this point, I think both are toast. G has been asked to do so much for this team this year, I don't blame him a bit for being tired. Run the point and cover the wing on the zone the way he does? That's a lot to ask of anyone.

I don't think Gbinije scores as well at point. Hes our second leading scorer for the second half of the season. It showed today.

is. Any decent offensive team would be up by 15 at the half. BTW, does JB realize how bad he appears screaming at his kids with that crazed look on his face?

Our offense as a team has generally spiralled downwards since that fateful night we lost to Lemoyne and Boeheim decided to go exclusively zone in games and practice. It didn't happen immediately but we have slowly devolved since then.

It was a rash decision made not without a smidgen of spite for his critics in the media and fanbase and the team's paid for it.

We just haven't looked comfortable attacking a competent d as a team (and not individuals) in some time. We should practice it more. Boeheim talks about his players not getting tired over the course of the season because he only makes them practice 12 hours a week. Maybe we need to practice as much as we're allowed?

Our offense as a team has generally spiralled downwards since that fateful night we lost to Lemoyne and Boeheim decided to go exclusively zone in games and practice. It didn't happen immediately but we have slowly devolved since then.

It was a rash decision made not without a smidgen of spite for his critics in the media and fanbase and the team's paid for it.

We just haven't looked comfortable attacking a competent d as a team (and not individuals) in some time. We should practice it more. Boeheim talks about his players not getting tired over the course of the season because he only makes them practice 12 hours a week. Maybe we need to practice as much as we're allowed?

We don't have the personnel this season to attack a junior varsity defense. But we were more than competent on offense last season and we were certainly doing pretty well for ourselves in the season prior to that.

Where's our offense coming from next year? We had no shooters this year and we have none again next year. We have totally unproven bigs coming back. CM just became a dad, so who knows if he'll be back. Coleman might be able to play 15 minutes a game. We still have no point guard on this team or next year's team. It's no given that Bryant will sign with SU. We have just as many questions for next year as this and we don't have Christmas. I don't like to be negative, but the Virginia team is all back and they kicked our butts two years in a row. We're going to be middle of the pack at best next year. I think it's obvious that in the ACC our zone is not good enough to beat good teams. They pick it apart. Duke, Virginia, NC, and Pitt all played with us on offense. Our only saving grace may be if they move the shot clock to 24 seconds.

Where's our offense coming from next year? We had no shooters this year and we have none again next year. We have totally unproven bigs coming back. CM just became a dad, so who knows if he'll be back. Coleman might be able to play 15 minutes a game. We still have no point guard on this team or next year's team. It's no given that Bryant will sign with SU. We have just as many questions for next year as this and we don't have Christmas. I don't like to be negative, but the Virginia team is all back and they kicked our butts two years in a row. We're going to be middle of the pack at best next year. I think it's obvious that in the ACC our zone is not good enough to beat good teams. They pick it apart. Duke, Virginia, NC, and Pitt all played with us on offense. Our only saving grace may be if they move the shot clock to 24 seconds.
Sadly I agree. Next year is going to be a struggle with what we have returning and the major question marks of the new additions and health of others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom