Class of 2017 - An Early Look at the Best Players in the Class of 2017 for New York State | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 An Early Look at the Best Players in the Class of 2017 for New York State

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NYS HS Football 2017.png

It looks like a very good class of players in NYS for the class of 2017. Hopefully the staff will take a bunch of these players. A brief description of some of the top players follow.

I should point out that the rankings are almost arbitrary...the differences between many of the players is very small. A number of these players surely have grade problems that will prevent them from attending college, a common problem that has ended many great careers almost before they were started.

Jack Coan 6'3 190 QB will be nationally recruited, he already has a ton of offers, including one from Syracuse. He reminds me a lot of Greg Paulus. Great touch on his throws, his strength is his accuracy. Surprising agility, can run if need be. Don't see a really powerful arm but he has good arm strength, definitely improved it his junior year. Would be a really good fit for the Babers offense.

Isaiah McDuffie 6'1 200 LB great athlete who can really run and hit. Could play a number of positions in college, on offense and defense. I think he ultimately will be a WILL. Verbal commit to Syracuse.

Ethan Wiederkehr 6'4 260 DE From Long Island. His dad played football for SU (Hans). Big, has excellent speed and athletic ability. Another player who could play a number of positions but I think he ends up at DE.

Blake Haubell 6'3 210 P/K Is from Canisius in the Buffalo area. Is ranked the 3rd best placekicker in the class of 2017. He has a great leg. Kicked a 61 yard FG this season. Currently verballed to Ohio State.

Isaiah Wilson 6'7 320 OT is a huge lineman from Poly Prep. Strong, agile, athletic. Another national recruit, he is one of the top OL prospects in the country and has offers from Ohio St, Bama, etc.

Romello Martin 6'4 290 DT is the best defensive tackle prospect in the state. Attends Lincoln in Brooklyn. Should have 10-20 scholarship offers by the time he is a senior.

Shameen Jones 6'3 175 WR There always seems to be a top notch WR coming out of NYC and Shameen looks like the top one in the class of 2017. Caught 48 passes for 1061 yards and 7 TDs as a junior, has size, great hands and some speed too.

Jordan Bryan 6'2 215 RB is one of the top athletes in the state. Also plays basketball, where he is a D1 prospect. But he has a blend of size and speed that make him an exciting prospect for football. Could play RB or LB and be a star on either side of the field.

Jarrell Chaney 6'2 185 WR The top prospect out of the Capital District for the class of 2017 is probably Jarrell, who has speed, excellent technique catching the ball and the smoothest stride in the state.

Dan Kubik 6'7 295 OL is another huge offensive lineman with excellent power. He comes from Orchard Park, one of the best programs in the state. Still a little raw but he has outstanding potential.

Cameron Jordan 6'4 190 WR is the top WR on Long Island in this class. From the same HS as HHH West as Devante McFarland. 29 catches, 854 yards 14 TDs as a junior. Big, strong guy, projects as a solid possession WR at the college level. Huge strides.

Jason Martin 6'3 263 ATH Is an intriguing prospect who played QB for South Shore HS as a junior. Passed for 1400 yards and ran for 762. One of those players who is huge and can really run...could play many positions. Will probably play DE at the college level.

Desmond Stephens 6'4 235 DE is a prototypical DE from Bishop Timon-St Jude in the Buffalo area. Has size and a knack for getting to the QB. Runs a 4.79 40. Made a major jump from his sophomore to his junior year.

Ramell Redd 6'1 226 RB is a big kid with speed, first team all state, from Eagle Academy in the NYC PSAL, not a traditional power like so many of these players. Could be a power RB or a solid LB at the college level.

Connor Kelly 6'3 210 LB A tackling machine from Williamsville North (Buffalo area), has great technique and tenacity. Surprising quickness, excellent at blitzing, I think he could be a fine MIKE at a P5 school.

Latrell Horton 5'11 250 LB Small in stature but not in heart. Runs really well for 250 pounds, great hitter on defense, if he was 4 inches taller he would be an AA candidate.

Dejean McCullough 6'0 180 DB is one of the fastest football players in the state, 2nd team all state as a junior, from Burgard (Buffalo inner city).

Angus Edmundson 6'2 185 WR From a small HS in the Hudson Valley area near the Connecticut border, this kid has excellent hands and catching technique. One of my favorites, really enjoyed watching his film. Not a burner but a good athlete, and a true football player, much in the mold of SU WR Ben Lewis.

Noah Jordan-Willams 6'1 185 WR Probably the best prospect from CNY in 2017, Noah is a wide receiver from CBA. Has speed and size and SU has been courting him from some time. Not sure if the interest the old staff had will translate into interest from the new staff. I hope so. Noah has good size and speed and catches the ball well. He does nothing spectacular but everything well.

Great post, it looks great that we have a player that is rated higher than Ohio St.

Noah Jordan Williams still hasn't been contacted by the new staff yet.

Great list. I have been a huge fan of McDuffie since first watching his highlights. It was extremely satisfying to see the current staff renew their interest. I think this kid is an absolute stud, and has a chance to be a highly rated prospect. Assuming he stays at LBer, he has a great frame to put on an additional 25-30lbs without missing a beat. Our future LB corp will have some legit ACC size in the very near future. I do have a feeling that we will be fighting off numerous suitors for McDuffie (PSU, ND, Michigan, Michigan St).

Lots of kids from the Buffalo area on that list - think McDuffie will be valuable in helping to land some of these kids if the new staff is interested

Was this list put together for other schools?

qdawgg said:
Was this list put together for other schools?
No, I am a long time proponent of high school football in New York. This is something I have been doing for years to try and give the NYS kids a little publicity and love.

I hope it might help in some small way help a player or two get interest from colleges.

While a handful of players will always get scholarships from P5 programs,I am convinced NYS is under appreciated and under recruited and a lot of solid prospects end up playing at a level below where they belong. Or playing another sport in college.

Will put up a 2018 article this weekend.

No, I am a long time proponent of high school football in New York. This is something I have been doing for years to try and give the NYS kids a little publicity and love.

I hope it might help in some small way help a player or two get interest from colleges.

While a handful of players will always get scholarships from P5 programs,I am convinced NYS is under appreciated and under recruited and a lot of solid prospects end up playing at a level below where they belong. Or playing another sport in college.

Will put up a 2018 article this weekend.

I was just making a joke, based on recent events. I want us to get NYS players too.

let's see what happens after this cycle is over. People need to understand that this staff has ties mostly to the Midwest and Florida, not NY. they have a few weeks to scramble and close out this class, which is more challenging when they have had to clear out a bunch of Shafer recruits. That means they will hit up the kids and areas they know. If they ignore NYS when it comes time to really start working on 2017 then people can complain. In the meantime, the jokes are always fun anyway :)

View attachment 54905

It looks like a very good class of players in NYS for the class of 2017. Hopefully the staff will take a bunch of these players. A brief description of some of the top players follow.

I should point out that the rankings are almost arbitrary...the differences between many of the players is very small. A number of these players surely have grade problems that will prevent them from attending college, a common problem that has ended many great careers almost before they were started.

Jack Coan 6'3 190 QB will be nationally recruited, he already has a ton of offers, including one from Syracuse. He reminds me a lot of Greg Paulus. Great touch on his throws, his strength is his accuracy. Surprising agility, can run if need be. Don't see a really powerful arm but he has good arm strength, definitely improved it his junior year. Would be a really good fit for the Babers offense.

Isaiah McDuffie 6'1 200 LB great athlete who can really run and hit. Could play a number of positions in college, on offense and defense. I think he ultimately will be a WILL. Verbal commit to Syracuse.

Ethan Wiederkehr 6'4 260 DE From Long Island. His dad played football for SU (Hans). Big, has excellent speed and athletic ability. Another player who could play a number of positions but I think he ends up at DE.

Blake Haubell 6'3 210 P/K Is from Canisius in the Buffalo area. Is ranked the 3rd best placekicker in the class of 2017. He has a great leg. Kicked a 61 yard FG this season. Currently verballed to Ohio State.

Isaiah Wilson 6'7 320 OT is a huge lineman from Poly Prep. Strong, agile, athletic. Another national recruit, he is one of the top OL prospects in the country and has offers from Ohio St, Bama, etc.

Romello Martin 6'4 290 DT is the best defensive tackle prospect in the state. Attends Lincoln in Brooklyn. Should have 10-20 scholarship offers by the time he is a senior.

Shameen Jones 6'3 175 WR There always seems to be a top notch WR coming out of NYC and Shameen looks like the top one in the class of 2017. Caught 48 passes for 1061 yards and 7 TDs as a junior, has size, great hands and some speed too.

Jordan Bryan 6'2 215 RB is one of the top athletes in the state. Also plays basketball, where he is a D1 prospect. But he has a blend of size and speed that make him an exciting prospect for football. Could play RB or LB and be a star on either side of the field.

Jarrell Chaney 6'2 185 WR The top prospect out of the Capital District for the class of 2017 is probably Jarrell, who has speed, excellent technique catching the ball and the smoothest stride in the state.

Dan Kubik 6'7 295 OL is another huge offensive lineman with excellent power. He comes from Orchard Park, one of the best programs in the state. Still a little raw but he has outstanding potential.

Cameron Jordan 6'4 190 WR is the top WR on Long Island in this class. From the same HS as HHH West as Devante McFarland. 29 catches, 854 yards 14 TDs as a junior. Big, strong guy, projects as a solid possession WR at the college level. Huge strides.

Jason Martin 6'3 263 ATH Is an intriguing prospect who played QB for South Shore HS as a junior. Passed for 1400 yards and ran for 762. One of those players who is huge and can really run...could play many positions. Will probably play DE at the college level.

Desmond Stephens 6'4 235 DE is a prototypical DE from Bishop Timon-St Jude in the Buffalo area. Has size and a knack for getting to the QB. Runs a 4.79 40. Made a major jump from his sophomore to his junior year.

Ramell Redd 6'1 226 RB is a big kid with speed, first team all state, from Eagle Academy in the NYC PSAL, not a traditional power like so many of these players. Could be a power RB or a solid LB at the college level.

Connor Kelly 6'3 210 LB A tackling machine from Williamsville North (Buffalo area), has great technique and tenacity. Surprising quickness, excellent at blitzing, I think he could be a fine MIKE at a P5 school.

Latrell Horton 5'11 250 LB Small in stature but not in heart. Runs really well for 250 pounds, great hitter on defense, if he was 4 inches taller he would be an AA candidate.

Dejean McCullough 6'0 180 DB is one of the fastest football players in the state, 2nd team all state as a junior, from Burgard (Buffalo inner city).

Angus Edmundson 6'2 185 WR From a small HS in the Hudson Valley area near the Connecticut border, this kid has excellent hands and catching technique. One of my favorites, really enjoyed watching his film. Not a burner but a good athlete, and a true football player, much in the mold of SU WR Ben Lewis.

Noah Jordan-Willams 6'1 185 WR Probably the best prospect from CNY in 2017, Noah is a wide receiver from CBA. Has speed and size and SU has been courting him from some time. Not sure if the interest the old staff had will translate into interest from the new staff. I hope so. Noah has good size and speed and catches the ball well. He does nothing spectacular but everything well.
Good stuff my man.

let's see what happens after this cycle is over. People need to understand that this staff has ties mostly to the Midwest and Florida, not NY. they have a few weeks to scramble and close out this class, which is more challenging when they have had to clear out a bunch of Shafer recruits. That means they will hit up the kids and areas they know. If they ignore NYS when it comes time to really start working on 2017 then people can complain. In the meantime, the jokes are always fun anyway :)

If you remember this is pretty much what Shafer did his 1st year. They hit the regions where they had connections, and then moved more towards our natural recruiting grounds once they had a chance to recruit the region for a whole cycle. I bet we could see something similar with Babers, and this staff.

If you remember this is pretty much what Shafer did his 1st year. They hit the regions where they had connections, and then moved more towards our natural recruiting grounds once they had a chance to recruit the region for a whole cycle. I bet we could see something similar with Babers, and this staff.
I think we will see something similar but I still think the majority of offers for 2017 will still be for the Midwest and FL...as I slowly work to add all those offers into the database. ;)

I agree CL, as we have seen in the last week or so the staff has offered many many recruits in FL & NY and mid west already for the 2017 and 2018.

I said before hiring a Mike Hart who played in High School here, even though he went to Michigan, should help recruiting NYS.

Bump due to the Coan thread. How many of these guys go P5? Wilson, Coan, Romello Martin, McDuffie, Haubeil, Jordan-Williams, Wiederkehr, Jones?

Seems like a good group of kids this year.

I cant see all the names that well but is CJ Turner on that list?

I don't see his name.
His name is not there. I relied greatly on the all region teams for the different areas of NYS to compile this list.

Missed CJ's name on the AGR team. My bad. He has been added.

Last edited:
Here is the same info just copied and pasted. It won't look as good but clearly people are having trouble reading the list, so this is probably a better approach. I also added CJ Turner, who clearly belongs on it.

Top Prospects in NYS for 2017

This list is actually ordered by region. I added links to video for some of my favorite prospects. Will add more as time permits.

Name Pos Year High School Height Weight Comments
Jack Owens LB 2017 Aquinas Institute 6'4 210 3rd team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Ta'Von Granison DB 2017 Greece Athena 6'0 185 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Earl English LB 2017 Wilson (Rochester) 6'0 210 5th team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Anthony Finucane OL 2017 Greece Arcadia 6'2 310 4th team All NYS class A offense as a junior
CJ Turner ATH 2017 Eastridge 5'8 165 Extremely fast and explosive
Kyle Schreiner OL 2017 Fairport 6'5 305 Very strong, needs to improve physical conditioning
Stephan Parker WR 2017 Cheektowaga 6'3 185 1st team All Western NY, 1st team NYS all state class B offense as a junior
Jeremy Bush DL 2017 Jamestown 6'1 270 1st team All Western NY as a junior
Isaiah McDuffie LB 2017 Bennett 6'1 200 1st team All Western NY, 1st team NYS all state defense class C as a junior
Blake Haubeil P/K 2017 Canisius 6'3 210 1st team All Western NY, 2nd team USA TODAY All State as a junior
Mason Hoose LB 2017 Canisius 6'0 200 Fourth team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Connor Kelly LB 2017 Williamsville-North 6'3 210 3rd team All NYS class A defense as a junior, 4.75 40, good blitzer, quick, excellent tackler
Tyler White DL 2017 Kenmore West 6'3 202 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Mason Hoose LB 2017 Canisius 6'1 220 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Jamel Lofton LB 2017 Lackawanna 6'2 190 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Dejean McCullough DB 2017 Burgard (Buffalo) 6'0 180 2nd team All WNY, 2nd team NYS all state class b defense as a junior, one of fastest players in the state
Dan Kubik OL 2017 Orchard Park 6'7 295 2nd team All WNY, 2nd team USA TODAY All State, 1st team All NYS Class AA offense as a junior
Jerry Hickson QB 2017 St Francis 6'2 200 2nd team All WNY, 3rd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior
Leguim Castillo WR 2017 Lancaster 6'2 201 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Jeremy Crafts OL 2017 St Francis (Buffalo) 6'3 285 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Louis Surace P/K 2017 St Joseph's (Buffalo) 5'11 160 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Desmond Stephens DE 2017 Bishop Timon-St Jude (Buffalo) 6'4 235 1st team All NYS class AA defense as a junior, 4.79 40
Dillon Janca ATH 2017 Orchard Park 5'11 185 2nd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior
Anthony Maniscalco S 2017 Williamsville-North 6'3 180 5th team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Nick Emer OL 2017 Iroquois (Buffalo) 6'4 250 4th team All NYS class A offense as a junior
Ian Baker ATH 2017 Springville (Buffalo area) 5'10 185 2nd team NYS all state class b offense as a junior
Jamir Lynch ATH 2017 Kenmore West 6'0 176 Caught 11 passes in sectional final, good athlete, has speed and hands
Andy Hinds OL 2017 Guiderland 6'2 225 1st team all Capital Region as a junior
Jarrell Chaney WR 2017 Albany 6'2 185 1st team all Capital Region as a junior, speed, hands, smooth
Ky'ere Tillery RB 2017 Albany 5'10 180 1st team all Capital Region as a junior, excellent speed and cutting ability
Angus Edmundson WR 2017 Dover 6'2 185 1st team Section 1, 2nd team NYS all state class B offense as a junior; Ben Lewis type
Isiah Daubon ATH 2017 Highland 5'11 180 1st team Section 1 as a junior
Antonio Rogliano DL 2017 Eastchester 6'3 245 1st team All Hudson Valley, 2nd team All NYS class A defense, 14 sacks as a junior
Jordan Bryan RB 2017 Middletown 6'2 215 2nd team All Hudson Valley offense, 3rd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior, great athlete
Delvin Wood ATH 2017 Millbrook 5'11 185 2nd team All Hudson Valley offense, 1401 yards, 28 TDs as a junior
Winston Britton ATH 2017 Hackley 5'10 168 2nd team All Hudson Valley defense as a junior
Mat Bruno ATH 2017 Rye 6'1 180 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Jaleel Berry DT 2017 Nottingham HS, Syracuse, NY 6'2 283 1st team All CNY as a junior
Dan Damico OLB 2017 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'2 225 1st team All CNY, 4th team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Noah Jordan-Williams WR 2017 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'1 185 1st team All CNY, fifth team All NYS Class AA offense as a junior
Casey Rogers DE 2017 Westhill 6'3 230 2nd team NYS all state class B as a junior
Cameron Jordan WR 2017 Half Hollow Hills West 6'4 190 2nd team All Long Island, 3rd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior
Kyle Nunez DT 2017 East Islip 6'3 308 2nd team All Long Island as a junior
Danny Roell DB 2017 Seaford 5'9 165 2nd team All Long Island as a junior
Jack Coan QB 2017 Sayville 6'3 190 1st team All Long Island, 2nd team USA TODAY All State as a junior
Ed Munoz ATH 2017 Sayville 5'11 185 1st team All Long Island as a junior
Latrell Horton LB 2017 Longwood 5'11 250 1st team All Long Island, All NYS Class AA defense as a junior, good speed for size….
Jordan McLune ATH 2017 Farmingdale 5'8 180 1st team All Long Island as a junior
Ryan O'Shea OL 2017 MacArthur 6'1 235 1st team All Long Island, 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Ethan Wiederkehr DE 2017 Shoreham-Wading River 6'5 260 1st team All LI 1st team USA TODAY All State, 1st team All NYS class A D as a jr, dad SU football alum
Jason Intermesoli PK 2017 Sayville 5'8 155 1st team All NYC offense class A as a junior
Bobby Wing ATH 2017 St Peters 5'10 170 All NYC 2nd team offense, fourth team All NYS class AA O as a junior, ran for 1356 yards and 11 TDs
Isaiah Wilson OT 2017 Poly Prep 6'7 320 1st team USA TODAY All State, 1st team All NYS class AA O as junior, offers from OSU, UM, Bama, etc.
Romello Martin DT 2017 Abraham Lincoln (Brooklyn) 6'4 290 2nd team USA TODAY All State, 3rd team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Jason Martin ATH 2017 South Shore 6'3 263 All NYC 2nd team offense as a junior, passed for 1400 yards, ran for 762
Michael Marinelli DE 2017 Xavierian 6'4 250 All NYC 2nd team defense as a junior, 82 tackles, 10 sacks
Troy Booker RB 2017 Fort Hamilton 5'9 170 All NYC 1st team offense, ran for 1256 yards and 20 TDs as a junior
Shameen Jones WR 2017 Cardinal Hayes 6'3 175 All NYC 1st team offense, caught 48 passes for 1061 yards and 7 TDs as a junior
Jeavon Lessey DE 2017 Abraham Lincoln (Brooklyn) 6'3 235 All NYC 1st team defense, 6 sacks as a junior
Ramell Redd RB 2017 Eagle Academy II-PSAL 6'1 226 1st team All NYS class B offense as a junior
Ramon Jefferson ATH 2017 Harry Truman (PSAL) 5'9 175 1st team All NYS class A offense as a junior
Malik Lawrie ATH 2017 Jamaica-PSAL 5'10 152 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Ryan Ehrets C 2017 Chenango Forks 6'3 250 1st team NYS all state class c offense as a junior, 98 GPA. Very quick; Mackey-like.
LJ Watson ATH 2017 Chenango Forks 6'0 190 1st team NYS all state class c defense as a junior
Devin Young ATH 2017 Binghamton 5'9 170 1st team Elite 24 offense, 2nd team All NYS class AA offense, almost 2000 all purpose yards as a junior
Andrew Clark WR 2017 Horseheads 6'3 178 Elmira All Offense as a junior
Ryan Pruitt ATH 2017 Watkins Glen 5'9 175 Elmira All Offense as a junior
Tyler Rogan LB 2017 Horseheads 6'3 201 Elmira All Offense as a junior

I also have shorter lists for 2018 and 2019.

Top Prospects in NYS for 2018:

Cory Gross
DB 2018 Brockport 6'0 180 First team AGR, 4th team All NYS Class A defense as a sophomore. 3.8 GPA
Jeremiah Sanders OL 2018 South Park 6'2 265 First team All Western NY, first team USA Today All State as a sophomore
Khalil Horton UTL 2018 Lackawanna 5'7 170 Second team All Western NY as a sophomore
Matt Myers UTL 2018 Bishop Timon-St Jude 6'4 205 Second team All Western NY as a sophomore
Alex Benson ATH 2018 Kennedy Catholic, Somers, NY 5'11 175 2nd team All Hudson Valley special teams as a sophomore, very fast
SirVocea Dennis ATH 2018 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'0 175 1st team All CNY as a sophomore
Stevie Scott III RB 2018 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'1 220 1st team All CNY as a sophomore
Logan Wilcox QB 2018 Utica Proctor 6'1 185 1st team All CNY as a sophomore
Dylan Laube DB 2018 Westhampton 5'11 170 2nd team All Long Island as a sophomore
Jeremy Ruckert ATH 2018 Lindenhurst 6'6 215 1st team All Long Island, 2nd team USA TODAY All State as a sophomore
Matt Valecce ATH 2018 Fordham Prep 6'4 185 All NYC 2nd team offense as a sophomore, 2416 yards 27 TDs passing
Amad Anderson WR 2018 Curtis 6'1 170 All NYC 2nd team offense as a junior, 46 catches for 697 yards and 8 TDs
Matthew Jones DL 2018 Erasmus Hall 6'4 290 First team USA TODAY All State, 2nd team All NYS class AA def as soph, offers from PSU, Neb, Ga, etc.
Dan Fedor OL 2018 Elmira 6'6 260 Elmira All Offense as a sophomore
Jason Rodriguez DB 2018 Corning 6'1 160 Elmira All Defense as a sophomore

Top Prospects for NYS for 2019

Dhyquem Lewinson
RB 2019 Spackenkill 5'7 215 1st team Section 1 as a freshman; has strength and speed, wears 44

This kid is the ultimate man-child. If he grows a few inches, he will be something else...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom