Analysis of 4th Quarter From 16-14 until Tying Goal | Syracusefan.com

Analysis of 4th Quarter From 16-14 until Tying Goal

Faegan

All Conference
Score 16-14 with 7:21 left in the 4th Qtr - Jake Stevens throws errant pass into the turf - rather than get in front of the ball, Hiltz tries to catch it to his left side and the ball goes out of bounds.

Cornell goes down the field, shot taken on goal, nice save by Will Mark, but CJ Kirst gets ground ball, continues possession, Cornell goal and now 16-15.

Next possession, Cornell gets FO, shoots on Will Mark, nice save (Around 4:05 left in 4th). Clearing pass from Nick Caccamo to Carter Rice, who moves it to Hiltz who drops a perfect pass. Turn over. Luckily, Cornell turns it over on the ensuing possession, and Cuse goes down field and calls time out. Coming out of the time out, we move the ball around until Mule dribbles a pass out of his cross straight to a defender at around 1:47 left in the 4th. Cornell goes fast break down the field, and Will Mark makes his insane kick save against Kirst. Ball flies out to midfield where a Cornell pole gets GB in front of Hiltz (I'll give Hiltz a pass here, we expect a pole to get that GB), but the pole throws an errant pass on the ground to Kirst, but unlike our player he fields the ball and prevents a turnover. Results in another save by Mark, but SU fails to clear and then Cornell ties it at 16-16 when Goldstein is left unopposed right in front of the goal.

7 turnovers in the 4th, 3 goals in the second half. We will never win these close games until some of our best players stop making mistakes that we wouldn't accept from a high school team. It is the staff's responsibility to address it because at least 3 of our 4 losses would have been wins if we were fundamentally sound at critical points in those games. Captain Obvious states that Will Mark is our MVP right now.

Score 16-14 with 7:21 left in the 4th Qtr - Jake Stevens throws errant pass into the turf - rather than get in front of the ball, Hiltz tries to catch it to his left side and the ball goes out of bounds.

Cornell goes down the field, shot taken on goal, nice save by Will Mark, but CJ Kirst gets ground ball, continues possession, Cornell goal and now 16-15.

Next possession, Cornell gets FO, shoots on Will Mark, nice save (Around 4:05 left in 4th). Clearing pass from Nick Caccamo to Carter Rice, who moves it to Hiltz who drops a perfect pass. Turn over. Luckily, Cornell turns it over on the ensuing possession, and Cuse goes down field and calls time out. Coming out of the time out, we move the ball around until Mule dribbles a pass out of his cross straight to a defender at around 1:47 left in the 4th. Cornell goes fast break down the field, and Will Mark makes his insane kick save against Kirst. Ball flies out to midfield where a Cornell pole gets GB in front of Hiltz (I'll give Hiltz a pass here, we expect a pole to get that GB), but the pole throws an errant pass on the ground to Kirst, but unlike our player he fields the ball and prevents a turnover. Results in another save by Mark, but SU fails to clear and then Cornell ties it at 16-16 when Goldstein is left unopposed right in front of the goal.

7 turnovers in the 4th, 3 goals in the second half. We will never win these close games until some of our best players stop making mistakes that we wouldn't accept from a high school team. It is the staff's responsibility to address it because at least 3 of our 4 losses would have been wins if we were fundamentally sound at critical points in those games. Captain Obvious states that Will Mark is our MVP right now.

That's an exercise in self-immolation.

They don’t seem to have the drive. All game one they play same way as in hustle way or lack of. Never going balls to walk for gbs or plays same effort given all game never upping the hustle it seems. Like most just out there to play lax n nothing more. This team needs more heart kinda miss rosa dude would go all out n player like that can instill it in others. The team offense works but when game on line need someone to say “i got this” n either score or get it to the scorer. They all seem to want someone else to take care of it. Even on guess call it our ride there isn’t urgency or running hard to create turnover kinda all just trot to spots. When we turn it over no one works or hustle to ride get it back again just kinda stroll n really need all 3 to go out at attack spot.

Also one last thing n this bugs me even tho i do get it. Is when our guy is in front of shooter n ducks or turns back scared of ball. Wright on one goal right in front of shooter n duck went right over him n in net. If he stayed true yes he prob eats the shoot but then it’s not a goal. I understand don’t wanna get hurt but sometimes need to eat a ball to body to save a goal. Need to start going all out putting bodies on line not reckless but selling out. Also we have to play offense all game never stop attacking that is how ya win the close games. Yes can use clock but be attacking n scoring while using clock. We seem to play not to lose rather than play to win.

We need to play some more lsms also. Use olexo and wright to much by end of each half you can see they’re tired. Give schmchit a try please. Try titus on more then man down maby then be use to or able to clear ball then. seems to do well on man down try him in game action not man down.

At work n feel like doing nothing but staying in bed after that lost

Let me just add that I'm still very optimistic about this team and think that we can still improve significantly this season. That's part of our frustration - I think this is completely fixable. We want the squad that annihilated Duke coming out of spring break. It's in that locker room, the staff just needs to get it out of them when it matters most in each game.

They don’t seem to have the drive. All game one they play same way as in hustle way or lack of. Never going balls to walk for gbs or plays same effort given all game never upping the hustle it seems. Like most just out there to play lax n nothing more. This team needs more heart kinda miss rosa dude would go all out n player like that can instill it in others. The team offense works but when game on line need someone to say “i got this” n either score or get it to the scorer. They all seem to want someone else to take care of it. Even on guess call it our ride there isn’t urgency or running hard to create turnover kinda all just trot to spots. When we turn it over no one works or hustle to ride get it back again just kinda stroll n really need all 3 to go out at attack spot.

Also one last thing n this bugs me even tho i do get it. Is when our guy is in front of shooter n ducks or turns back scared of ball. Wright on one goal right in front of shooter n duck went right over him n in net. If he stayed true yes he prob eats the shoot but then it’s not a goal. I understand don’t wanna get hurt but sometimes need to eat a ball to body to save a goal. Need to start going all out putting bodies on line not reckless but selling out. Also we have to play offense all game never stop attacking that is how ya win the close games. Yes can use clock but be attacking n scoring while using clock. We seem to play not to lose rather than play to win.

We need to play some more lsms also. Use olexo and wright to much by end of each half you can see they’re tired. Give schmchit a try please. Try titus on more then man down maby then be use to or able to clear ball then. seems to do well on man down try him in game action not man down.

At work n feel like doing nothing but staying in bed after that lost
Are guys really getting in front of balls like they do pucks in hockey? Sure guys get hit on occasion, but I don't see may actively trying to block shots with the body.

Are guys really getting in front of balls like they do pucks in hockey? Sure guys get hit on occasion, but I don't see may actively trying to block shots with the body.
It's funny you ask that... I think I'm hearing that more this season in terms of shots. not getting through, but I don't know if it's because guys are trying to block them intentionally. A lot less padding than in hockey, so I think it's a lot to ask someone other than the goalie to get in front of 100+ MPH shots.

Hiltz's inconsistency drives me nuts.

He was a demon in the first half - moving well, shooting well, making good decisions.

Completely invisible in the second half.

Not getting back to the Final Four if 2/3 of the starting attack disappear for long stretches and crunch time.

Hiltz's inconsistency drives me nuts.

He was a demon in the first half - moving well, shooting well, making good decisions.

Completely invisible in the second half.

Not getting back to the Final Four if 2/3 of the starting attack disappear for long stretches and crunch time.
Agreed. It’s become maddening. Had those 2 1Q rips plus he had that insane side-step/toe-drag dodge from up top to dust the defender in the 2Q, though his shot was saved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom