And bringing up the rear...Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

And bringing up the rear...Syracuse

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
Of some interest, perhaps:

ACC reports $100 million increase in total revenue in 2015

Does anyone who has some competence in this area care to speculate as to why Syracuse is low man on the totem pole in the ACC? I am incompetent, therefore I would imagine my suspicion that the ACC MBB Tourney omission has something to do with it is off base. Other ideas?

Does anyone who has some competence in this area care to speculate as to why Syracuse is low man on the totem pole in the ACC? I am incompetent, therefore I would imagine my suspicion that the ACC MBB Tourney omission has something to do with it is off base. Other ideas?

No share of 2015 MBB ACC tourney and NCAA tourney credits?

Hmmm. Wonder if we didn't get NCAA hoops share because of being banned.

NCAA hoops credits are paid over the following 6 years. SU's credits earned while in the Big East stayed with the conference. It wouldn't surprise me if SU only gets a share of the ACC hoops credits for years in which it was in the conference. The same would then also apply to Pitt, Louisville & ND.

i thought that bowl revenue was equally shared less expenses except for a few of the big games where you get an extra cut.

It would be nice if we saw the amounts for each school.
For the previous year there was (not including championship reimbursement):
  1. Clemson $21.3M
  2. Duke $20.2M
  3. FSU $20.2M
  4. UNC $19.8M
  5. Miami $19.5M
  6. BCU $19.4M
  7. VPI $19.3M
  8. SU $19.2M
  9. GA Tech $19.2M
  10. Pitt $18.9M
  11. UVA $18.3M
  12. Maryland $18M - retained by conference for future split, may have happened by now
  13. Wake $17.9M
  14. ND $4.9M

I see Chris Carlson has no idea why Syracuse is the laggard in the group either.

It's not like it's a huge difference from first to last. $3M over 14 teams.

Next round, we'll have a final 4, so our rank will improve.

And once Coach Dino starts his bowl streak, we'll be in the top half of the money.

Biggest thing to me is going from $19M to $24M. The one year increase alone was more than we received in the Big East.

In the DoE reporting SU is 5th in total revenue behind FSU, ND, Lville, and just behind Duke.

Bowl game revenue is split evenly no matter if you are bowl eligible or not.
ACC with held basketball revenue from SU because we self imposed a postseason ban so we shouldn't profit from the ACC money for 1 year.
Clemson got a little extra for travel reimbursement for them reaching the CFB playoff. Conferences give extra to those teams as a reward for the high expenses and as a reward for the extra money it gets the conference.

... and I think the original article is wrong in that the reimbursements from the ACC to the schools are included in the overall payout, causing the difference in payouts - no bowl game and no NCAA tournament means no travel cost, etc. reimbursements. Everything else, bowl, TV, NCAA $$$ are added together and divided equally.

Another reason the NCAA ban hurt even though the national media take is we weren't punished at all because we made the final four. The difference here has to be all basketball revenue lost from the then record breaking payout ACC teams earned in 2015. We will be missing our share of that for five more years.

The plus side is that while making the final four does not help us, the ACC broke the tournament revenue record again this year and we will get our share of that. But we will be in second to last place on this list for another couple years, one would assume (Louisville will occupy last place because of missing the 2016 payout).

In the DoE reporting SU is 5th in total revenue behind FSU, ND, Lville, and just behind Duke.
Revenue and distributions are different things.

Depends on how they account for it, but I'm assuming ACC distributions are a subset of Total Revenues.

Here is a David Teel Article that shows the breakdown by member.

ACC tax return shows commitment to channel project, 33-percent revenue increase

You'll see Syracuse, Louisville, and Pittsburgh at roughly the same number. Notre Dame is much less due to no football. I don't know why these are less, but I can only speculate that these members did not receive a cut of the Maryland exit fee. Maryland announced their departure before these four members were officially members. The ACC has never officially announced how Maryland's share was divided. It's a guess, but I don't think Syracuse was penalized from basketball money.

I believe that this article supports my theory.

It shows the NCAA credits earned by the ACC before the latest conference transitions, as well as the annual distribution of those credits over the coming years. The ACC was due to receive 46 of those credits this year. At approximately $245,000 per credit, that comes out to $11,270,000. Divide that by 10 (the number of current ACC schools that were also conference members when those credits were earned) and you get $1,127,000. If you were to add that amount to the payouts of SU, Pitt & Louisville then they'd be more in line with the rest of the conference.

The 2017 payout for those prior credits is 33. Going with the same math as before, this yields:
33 * $245,000 = $8,085,000.
As a result, the differential for those 10 schools will be $808,500.

2018's 21 credits would give those 10 schools a boost of $514,000.

2019's 10 credits would give those 10 schools an extra $245,000.

Note: It's possible that the above payouts are shifted by a year. Were the "2016 credits" to be paid during the 2015-16 fiscal year, or the 2016-17 fiscal year? If the latter, then the previous math would indicate that this year's differential would be $1,470,000 for those 10 schools due to a distribution of 60 credits.

Last edited:
It's not like it's a huge difference from first to last. $3M over 14 teams.

Next round, we'll have a final 4, so our rank will improve.

And once Coach Dino starts his bowl streak, we'll be in the top half of the money.

Biggest thing to me is going from $19M to $24M. The one year increase alone was more than we received in the Big East.
i think people get too caught up in relative standing. it assumes that schools can efficiently pay players with perks and facilities. I think SU's problem was in absolute dollars and not relative dollar ranking. it's tempting to think of everything as an arms race but good enough doesn't suffice in a true arms race and i think it does here (provided that we aren't spending like idiots)

Millhouse said:
i think people get too caught up in relative standing. it assumes that schools can efficiently pay players with perks and facilities. I think SU's problem was in absolute dollars and not relative dollar ranking. it's tempting to think of everything as an arms race but good enough doesn't suffice in a true arms race and i think it does here (provided that we aren't spending like idiots)

Exactly. Highlighted by the gap between B1G schools financial numbers and their relative standing in just about every sport.

I believe that this article supports my theory.

It shows the NCAA credits earned by the ACC before the latest conference transitions, as well as the annual distribution of those credits over the coming years. The ACC was due to receive 46 of those credits this year. At approximately $245,000 per credit, that comes out to $11,270,000. Divide that by 10 (the number of current ACC schools that were also conference members when those credits were earned) and you get $1,127,000. If you were to add that amount to the payouts of SU, Pitt & Louisville then they'd be more in line with the rest of the conference.

The 2017 payout for those prior credits is 33. Going with the same math as before, this yields:
33 * $245,000 = $8,085,000.
As a result, the differential for those 10 schools will be $808,500.

2018's 21 credits would give those 10 schools a boost of $514,000.

2019's 10 credits would give those 10 schools an extra $245,000.

Note: It's possible that the above payouts are shifted by a year. Were the "2016 credits" to be paid during the 2015-16 fiscal year, or the 2016-17 fiscal year? If the latter, then the previous math would indicate that this year's differential would be $1,470,000 for those 10 schools due to a distribution of 60 credits.
Really hope the lost credits we aren't getting from the BE were factored into our exit fee.

Really hope the lost credits we aren't getting from the BE were factored into our exit fee.
Hopeful, but I doubt it.

I believe the BE kept the TV & other monies and applied them to the $5M exit fee.
So, maybe 1 year's worth of NCAA tournament revenue would've been applied, the rest were forfeited to the NNBE/AAC.

Just be thankful that SU wasn't held to the 2-year departure clause.