And i always thought Kentucky was a red conservative state | Syracusefan.com

And i always thought Kentucky was a red conservative state

well, the program more than pays for these costs with its revenues. not like they are charging tax payers

Funny how the Kentucky AD explains how Cal needs to charter to balance recruiting and practices, and then it goes on to say that July was the month he used them the most. I mean if UK wants to spend their money that way, that's their choice, but love how college admins constantly get themselves tripped up by their own statements.

Seems to be capitalism at its "finest." The college basketball's version of the 1%!

No one can say that we do not know what we need to do in order to compete. Hop would have the energy to be a private jet fly boy. Given the ridiculous player turnover in contemporary college BB, recruiting and marketing are far and away the most important responsibility of every coach. Is Kentucky the only school that comprehends reality and takes appropriate action?

We sit around smugly convinced that Cal is paying his recruits when: 1) he is outworking other coaches, and 2) he has administrative support to finance the requisite travel expenses.

Last edited:
No one can say that we do not know what we need to do in order to compete. Hop would have the energy to be a private jet fly boy. Given the ridiculous player turnover in contemporary college BB, recruiting and marketing are far and away the most important responsibility of every coach. Is Kentucky the only school that comprehends reality and takes appropriate action?

We sit around smugly convinced that Cal is paying his recruits when: 1) he is outworking other coaches, and 2) he has administrative support to finance the requisite travel expenses.
Issues you cite are reasons some of us don't like what's going on with college athletics.
And they point to the ever-increasing likelihood that players will have to be paid.
The "game" is becoming more and more a "business" in every sense of the word.

Keeping up with Calipari is the trend.
Do whatever you have to do to win.
"College" is just the stage on which you're doing it.

To some extent, perhaps it's always been that way.
But the balance is shifting...radically.
Sad and disturbing in my opinion.
But that's where things are heading.

It's not a game. It's big business (really big business) and until the people involved in the business accept that fact, things won't get better.

I mean AD's and conference commissioners making high six/seven figures a year stand up and say paying athletes would destroy minor sports, ruin the experience, etc. Give me a break. If they cared about those students and their academics, they wouldn't join a conference where they are hundreds of miles away from their closest conference partner, they wouldn't let tv dictate game schedules, they wouldn't require Final 4 teams to arrive 4 days early just to meet corporate obligations.

NCAA and the institutions need to adapt and come up with common sense solutions. Support students, but connect it with academic success. Loosen some of the archaic rules and encourage schools to support students in their education- not just sticking them in an "easy major".

I'm sure the private jet, palatial athletic facilities, etc. are paid for with private money supplied by boosters, not KY taxpayer money.

well, the program more than pays for these costs with its revenues. not like they are charging tax payers

they still collect about $750,000 in student fees so maybe the state taxpayers do chip in for the recruiting budget.

in another article it sites that KY'S big blue midnight madness costs the university about the same amount of money as the whole years football recruiting budget...$300,000 big ones

I'm sure the private jet, palatial athletic facilities, etc. are paid for with private money supplied by boosters, not KY taxpayer money.
The jet money comes out of the football and basketball programs' recruiting budgets, although Calipari's has to "maintain some flexibility," given how wide a net he can cast in a given year. And he gets what he needs.

That kind of tells me that most comes out of state funds.....

Issues you cite are reasons some of us don't like what's going on with college athletics.
And they point to the ever-increasing likelihood that players will have to be paid.
The "game" is becoming more and more a "business" in every sense of the word.

Keeping up with Calipari is the trend.
Do whatever you have to do to win.
"College" is just the stage on which you're doing it.

To some extent, perhaps it's always been that way.
But the balance is shifting...radically.
Sad and disturbing in my opinion.
But that's where things are heading.
I agree. I don't like whats happening. Its now a money game. If you can't afford private jets you are at a disadvantage. The changes in college basketball suk. The trend is towards having success based on financial strength. If that happens, college BB will be worse than the NBA.

Legacy programs are still competitive, and there are still upsets, but when the old guard coaches retire, success will be increasingly correlated to the recruiting budget.

Do you guys honestly think other major D1 coaches are flying coach to Augusta, flying out coach with 2 connections to Vegas, missing out on games there because they have to catch their flight to Minnesota, before flying down to Dallas during AAU season?

The jet money comes out of the football and basketball programs' recruiting budgets, although Calipari's has to "maintain some flexibility," given how wide a net he can cast in a given year. And he gets what he needs.

That kind of tells me that most comes out of state funds...
While I have no love for Kentucky or Calipari, I really doubt that any state funds are used. Given the seating capacity of Rupp Arena, and the giving levels required just to be eligible for season tickets (not to mention the SEC's television contract money), I suspect that Kentucky's basketball budget is funded entirely from student fees, private donations, and ticket sales. I know that that is the case at Virginia. The legislature would go ballistic if they thought tax revenues were being used. (In fact, UVa and William & Mary receive very little in the way of state funds for academic expenses these days, the result of a compromise that keeps dumb-ass state legislators from meddling with curricula.) Furthermore, the article didn't clarify, to my satisfaction, if the sums mentioned were the value of those flights or an actual amount paid by KY AD's office. I imagine that Kentucky, like Virginia, has more than a few alumni with the wherewithal to donate the use of private jets when they are required. The value of those flights get recorded on a balance sheet somewhere (and are probably inflated for the IRS), but the school didn't actually spend any money. And, that's been going on for a long time at lots of schools. It's nothing new.

Last edited:
they still collect about $750,000 in student fees so maybe the state taxpayers do chip in for the recruiting budget.

in another article it sites that KY'S big blue midnight madness costs the university about the same amount of money as the whole years football recruiting budget...$300,000 big ones
Student fees

UK student fees that goes to athletics is $38, it gives students access to $5 basketball and football tickets. Students get use of the Seaton Center which has basketball courts, a volleyball court, badminton, jogging, squash, table tennis, and racquetball. The Johnson Center which has the same things as the Seaton Center but also has a gym/weight room, an aerobics studio, and rock climbing wall. Students also get access to the Lancaster Aquatic Center which is obviously a pool with 10 lanes for lap swimming and a pool for recreation.

UK Athletics now donates $3 million yearly back to the academics side, up from the old yearly $1.7 million donation a from a few years ago, and pays $15+ million a year in tuition which a lot of athletics departments don't. Implying they collect student fees and use them for recruiting is more than misleading.

Student fees

UK student fees that goes to athletics is $38, it gives students access to $5 basketball and football tickets. Students get use of the Seaton Center which has basketball courts, a volleyball court, badminton, jogging, squash, table tennis, and racquetball. The Johnson Center which has the same things as the Seaton Center but also has a gym/weight room, an aerobics studio, and rock climbing wall. Students also get access to the Lancaster Aquatic Center which is obviously a pool with 10 lanes for lap swimming and a pool for recreation.

UK Athletics now donates $3 million yearly back to the academics side, up from the old yearly $1.7 million donation a from a few years ago, and pays $15+ million a year in tuition which a lot of athletics departments don't. Implying they collect student fees and use them for recruiting is more than misleading.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/
even though they were in the black they still took a subsidy of $800,000 plus

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/
even though they were in the black they still took a subsidy of $800,000 plus
Subsidy? I'm sure the athletics department would trade that $38 per student $800K total for someone else to be in charge of upkeep and management of student athletic facilities, the $3 million dollar donation, and ability to charge market value on thousands of tix. The number of athletic programs that pay for its student athletes tuition and still donate millions back to the school is tiny, implying the fee is a subsidy or has anything to do with a recruiting budget is utterly ridiculous.

Subsidy? I'm sure the athletics department would trade that $38 per student $800K total for someone else to be in charge of upkeep and management of student athletic facilities, the $3 million dollar donation, and ability to charge market value on thousands of tix. The number of athletic programs that pay for its student athletes tuition and still donate millions back to the school is tiny, implying the fee is a subsidy or has anything to do with a recruiting budget is utterly ridiculous.

Just for you I will email the author of the article that used the word "subsidy" that was used in his report is wrong. He stuck that dam word in,not me

And if you really want to get technical, Kentucky is a state university and any funds they collect technically belongs to the state and taxpayers in which the state uses to help fund the university. Really, if you really think about it,this is just about the only function of any state Gov't that keeps this a dedicated fund.

Ohio St. uses a lot of excess money in other school depts. and if the athletics surplus doesn't cover the expenses there then the taxpayers will. Kentucky has done the same n a much smaller scale, but their new marketing contract is a big upgrade and there is now talk of a new basketball arena possibly on campus or upgrades at Rupp arena that the taxpayers could be off the hook now.

The state is now cutting funding by $20 million to the university and an A.D. spokesperson they will need to adjust the athletic budget like every other dept. to keep on par

So if are you saying their recruiting budget is funded by private donations only ? I find that utterly ridiculous.

Read the report...

Last edited:
And if you really want to get technical, Kentucky is a state university and any funds they collect technically belongs to the state and taxpayers in which the state uses to help fund the university.

It is a conservative state after all: They privatize the profit and socialize the expense.

Even if it was at the taxpayers expense, I wonder how much The taxpayers would really object. It is Kentucky basketball.

Even if it was at the taxpayers expense, I wonder how much The taxpayers would really object. It is Kentucky basketball.
NONE...But a state representative wants a better accounting system put in place. Probably a Louisville rep.

NONE...But a state representative wants a better accounting system put in place. Probably a Louisville rep.
If you're assuming he is a UL fan a better accounting system would be the last thing he wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom