And then it happened | Syracusefan.com

And then it happened

Yegorange

Starter
... and will happen again.

Commentary is priceless: "the junior wide receiver wound up with the ball in the end zone and the Carrier Dome crowd went wild" (he did? they did? really?) ... "patience told the story" (it can talk apparently) ... "Syracuse had done the impossible" (yep, nobody has EVER upset a #1 ... EVER!) ... "the Orangemen in convincing style defeated a great Nebraska team ... 17-9!" (hyperbole much?)

Great memory anyway. Hope for more ...

Commentary is priceless: "the junior wide receiver wound up with the ball in the end zone and the Carrier Dome crowd went wild" (he did? they did? really?) ... "patience told the story" (it can talk apparently) ... "Syracuse had done the impossible" (yep, nobody has EVER upset a #1 ... EVER!) ... "the Orangemen in convincing style defeated a great Nebraska team ... 17-9!" (hyperbole much?)

SU was unranked. Lost to unranked Rutgers the week before. Loved the clip and found nothing wrong with the SU grad's commentary. It was not hyperbole to those who were there. Biggest SU football win in my lifetime and was a huge turning point for the program.

I was there, too. Pretty close to the way I felt. It was historic. Didn't they clobber us 63-7 or something the year before at their house?

I'd say Bob hit the nail on the head. Why would you think differently?

thanks for the memory.jpg

I was there, too. Pretty close to the way I felt. It was historic. Didn't they clobber us 63-7 or something the year before at their house?
Yes 63-7 . That upset was probably the greatest sports event I have witnessed in person, followed by 2 games from 1987. Beating the crap out of Penn St. after 17 years of frustration. ( I cried tears of joy) And the 2 point conversion vs. W. Virginia to remain unbeaten.

Last edited:
SU was unranked. Lost to unranked Rutgers the week before. Loved the clip and found nothing wrong with the SU grad's commentary. It was not hyperbole to those who were there. Biggest SU football win in my lifetime and was a huge turning point for the program.
This^^
Biggest memory of that game was RB Jaime Covington picking up a crucial 1st down as we ran out the clock late. You could feel the cloud of the losing Frank Maloney Era lift off the program on that one play!
SU Football was back, baby!!!!!

Yes 63-7 . That upset was probably the greatest sports event I have witnessed in person, followed by 2 games from 1987. Beating the crap out of Penn St. after 17 years of frustration. ( I cried tears of joy) And the 2 point conversion vs. W. Virginia to remain unbeaten.
The day of the 63-7 loss, Beano Cook said that running up the score would come back to haunt Nebraska. I Immediately became a Beano fan but never dreamed what would happen.

I was there. Was 14 at the time. Had a cousin on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom