Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last of 25+ Rio trips was almost ten years ago. Wifi, even then, was better than "spotty."

If i were the Senior White and wanted a "face-to-face" to get confirmation of any types of arrangements before 'authorizing' a commitment, i'd prolly do it via Skype, and record the whole thing...

If he's waiting for something else — another type of thing that might be handled 'face to face,' i'd hope he would be waiting a long time. Like, infinity.

Whatever the reason/s, this is all ridiculous. It's not even such a critical decision for AWIII. KD took less time to commit to Golden State, and that was a matter of a lot of money and a professional reputation. If AWIII is good enough to be drafted by the NBA, he should be able to go to MSU, Miami, or SU without a guarantee, do his work, and make his mark. If he can't make a notable dent in those places, the location is pretty much irrelevant. I think, admittedly as a clueless outsider, that he should have had a better headstart on a firm plan before jumping. I recognize deadlines propelled his filing for transfer, but, it seems like he said, "i'm out" before knowing if his options would indeed be better than the status quo. Must have been a very bad situation in Nebraska. I would think that choosing a team now, sooner rather than at the last possible moment, would be in his best interests. Getting on campus, and solidifying his part of the team, and making positive impressions so that playing time isn't going to be decided based on guesswork/faith... that kind of thing seems as important as which school he chooses.

Was there any info on why he chose Nebraska to begin with? Coming out of Kansas, couldn't he have chosen a more 'resumé-friendly' destination, since that seems like such a critical factor for him now? Was Nebraska ever considered to be an NCAA team with potential?

Excellent points. It boils down to the fact that it's impossible to come up with a rational explanation because the entire situation on the face of it seems irrational. I have to give AW3 some props simply for keeping his cards close to his chest and not overtly sending out mixed messages or using twitter to post cryptic stuff which seems to be the norm these days. I also give him credit for what would appear to be a measured and well thought out weighing of the merits of various places which would have him. As has been pointed out here before, a kid who has already been involved with 2 programs which did not pan out as he had hoped would be wise to carefully undertake due diligence in selecting the program which would best serve as a platform for improving his game and his marketability as he works towards making it to the NBA.

I think there is no question that he would be a valuable addition to our roster or anyones for that matter. It's beginning to look like we are going to have to be patient and let this unfold on AW3's timetable and at best we get a definitive answer when JB returns from Rio or the other scenario being that things will be made public on or around the 29th. I feel optimistic on account of Orangeman13's continual reaffirmation of the fact that AW3 is in fact coming. For now, that's going to have to be good enough for me.

Yeah, I agree 100% with you in that this is definitely a head scratcher.

Let's take a slightly different tactic here for a moment... what could be the easiest explanation? Maybe Boeheim told him that when he returns from Rio, they will wrap this up and a decision can be announced. Maybe this really is a done deal already and the only people having anxiety over an announcement is us.
For all we know there is a logistical reason that JB would rather be in the country for the commitment. I don't know what that reason would be, but I'd say JB knows about this stuff more than any of us.

I’ve spent too much time thinking about AW3’s recruitment, and too much time reading this thread. It’s hard to figure out what’s going on, but I’ve come up with 4 scenarios, which I list here in order (and with percentage) of likelihood.

1. White decided back in early July that he’s coming to Syracuse. Because Boeheim has put no pressure on him for a quick decision, perhaps on a cue from Andrew or his father, White has taken his time, visited MSU and Miami out of courtesy/obligation/due diligence, and he’ll let Boeheim know after Rio - or he’ll just show up on campus without fanfare. He’s been through all the hype of recruiting before, and he’s been burned. He wants to keep it very low key. (80%)

2. He is considering professional options, like Europe or D-league. (10%)

3. AW3 has decided on Syracuse, but AW2 has not signed off on it. (10%) Seems kind of late, since he hasn’t been making other visits, but its possible that . . .

3a. He will stay home at VCU or Richmond. (5%)

3b. He is still considering Miami. (I trust O-13, but AW3 hasn’t publicly eliminated Miami. (3%)

3c. He is considering some darkhorse school we haven’t heard about. (2%)​

4. He has decided on Syracuse but is playing some kind of weird games with SU coaches and players. 1% tops, because from everything we know about him, he doesn’t seem to be the type.

My honest opinion is there is a very reasonable explanation for the delay, that we will probably never know because we aren't a party to much of any of what's going on. The kind of thing none of us have probably thought of, but if we heard it it'd just be a simple "Oh... that makes sense." I'm getting less anxious because one way or another, it'll be over in the next couple weeks.

Not sure why I never thought to look at this before... this just seems to be AW3's MO. When he transfered to Nebraska he announced August 18th, exactly 7 days before classes began for the fall. So if that happens again we can expect him to commit to cuse August 22nd.

Last edited:
Not sure why I never thought to look at this before... this just seems to be AW3's MO. When he transfered to Nebraska he announced August 18th, exactly 7 days before classes began for the fall. So if that happens again we can expect him to commit to cuse August 22nd.
Damn fine detective work.

Patience is a virtue. I am just as guilty as anyone of impatience, i wanted AW to commit weeks ago. But when you read over this forum its very comical, we seem to (collectively) truly believe that AW needs to hurry up and officially commit weeks ago for the primary reason of putting fans minds at ease! Lol

Nice find!

If he announces 7 days prior, then yes.
Lol really? So if he takes it to mid-August but commits 8 or 6 days before classes begin it's a TOTALLY different scenario??? Come on you're bright enough to get the point without being contrarian for it's own sake. Just in case let me explain... he likes to commit late and apparently enjoyed the experience last time he did it.

normaliswear said:
Not sure why I never thought to look at this before... this just seems to be AW3's MO. When he transfered to Nebraska he announced August 18th, exactly 7 days before classes began for the fall. So if that happens again we can expect him to commit to cuse August 22nd. 501442208726138881

Excellent work Mrs. Liswear.

Lol really? So if he takes it to mid-August but commits 8 or 6 days before classes begin it's a TOTALLY different scenario??? Come on you're bright enough to get the point without being contrarian for it's own sake. Just in case let me explain... he likes to commit late and apparently enjoyed the experience last time he did it.
Your post said expect him to announce on 8/22, based upon his MO of having previously announced a transfer 7 days prior to start of classes.
You picked the number of days and called it his MO, not me.

Your post said expect him to announce on 8/22, based upon his MO of having previously announced a transfer 7 days prior to start of classes.
You picked the number of days and called it his MO, not me.
OK seriously? Is your thing just trolling or do you not get this? I'll take the time to break it down simply if ya need. Maybe ya just had a long night, we've all had days like that. But if you're just trolling then I'd play along but White threads have been hammered for this crap lol.

OK seriously? Is your thing just trolling or do you not get this? I'll take the time to break it down simply if ya need. Maybe ya just had a long night, we've all had days like that. But if you're just trolling then I'd play along but White threads have been hammered for this crap lol.
Dude: words matter. You said expect a commitment on the 22nd, based upon his MO.
A simple he likes to committ late would have sufficed as his MO.
If you make a prediction, stick with it. You could be right.

Dude: words matter. You said expect a commitment on the 22nd, based upon his MO.
A simple he likes to committ late would have sufficed as his MO.
If you make a prediction, stick with it. You could be right.
If you don't grasp the significance of why the transfer, that the board has collectively lost it's mind wondering what's taking so long to commit, having committed as a transfer previously just a week before classes I'm just not in the mood to draw it out with a crayon. If you're just trolling because you have nothing to add to the conversation then I don't have the inclination to bother. But that's what ignore is for.

For what it's worth. I just read this thread, and didn't see anything about a quote by Jim Boeheim that I thought I saw recently. I went back and found this in JB in #3 journal from Rio: "Adrian (Autry), Gerry (McNamara) and Kip (Wellman) are back in Syracuse taking care of everything while we're gone. We've got all our recruiting done and the players will be finishing up summer school, so they'll be going home."

Jim Boeheim's Olympic report: China, Venezuela overmatched (but not Hopkins, Breanna)

Sounds about right to me. No one is recruiting White right now because it's known that he is going to SU. This whole thing is a mystery to us fans but not so much to the coaching staff.

For what it's worth. I just read this thread, and didn't see anything about a quote by Jim Boeheim that I thought I saw recently. I went back and found this in JB in #3 journal from Rio: "Adrian (Autry), Gerry (McNamara) and Kip (Wellman) are back in Syracuse taking care of everything while we're gone. We've got all our recruiting done and the players will be finishing up summer school, so they'll be going home."

Jim Boeheim's Olympic report: China, Venezuela overmatched (but not Hopkins, Breanna)
This was discussed in one of the locked threads IIRC. 'Recruiting done' is pretty ambiguous, it can mean:
1) Our current roster is locked in, no matter what, we're moving forward
2) Our sales pitch was made to AW3 and we're waiting for him to decide, but are done 'recruiting' (selling) him
3) AW3 committed to JB but didn't want a single soul to know

This was discussed in one of the locked threads IIRC. 'Recruiting done' is pretty ambiguous, it can mean:
1) Our current roster is locked in, no matter what, we're moving forward
2) Our sales pitch was made to AW3 and we're waiting for him to decide, but are done 'recruiting' (selling) him
3) AW3 committed to JB but didn't want a single soul to know
Perhaps I'm just being optimistic, but I'm drawn to number 3 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom