Andrew White thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically it's asking too much for you not to read or post in threads if you aren't interested in the discussion? That's weird - I manage to do that every day on here rather than go in and derail the discussion for those interested in it. The responsibility should be on us to wade through a bunch of nonsense posts with you guys circle jerking with each other even though we're the ones using the board for it's intended purpose to discuss Syracuse basketball?

Is there anything else we can do to accommodate you?

I wouldn't mind a nice cold Fresca.

If there a change in status, a new thread should be started.

Personally, I have no use for mega threads. I see the board stats daily. The mega thread views quickly become little more than the same few people talking to each other.

The most common "exit location" (when a person leaves the site) for new visitors, are the mega threads. They look at the first page, then leave.
People are going to come and go. I'm happy with your balanced, non-invasive approach ... monitoring, and occasional intervention, without censorship or micromanagement like the babies on HoyaSaxa. Those demanding hard news should check the PS. Personally, I think the freedom of expression we enjoy here is worth skipping over a few pages of drivel now and then.

It was just a suggestion. The mods disagree, and it is what it is. I don't micromanage any of the sites I'm involved with.

Here's why I mentioned it: I have been a member of several private boards for site administrators, and I closely follow the data discussed. The consensus is that mega threads lose 1/2 the number of followers after the first couple of days/pages, and 1/2 again every week or two after that, to a point where the threads end up being a few people talking to each other.

Boards that lock threads after a few days, with new posts made once there is new info, increase the number of views, and the number of visitors, a great deal.

Looking at our server logs, I'd have to agree with those numbers.

The one difference is the "bounce rate" here is a great deal lower than most sites, and the "loyalty" numbers here are a great deal more. (Visitors here come back more often, and stay longer compared to most sites).

Bottom line: I was bored, I couldn't sleep, and I posted a thought at 2 am. Most of my posts here are met with contempt. I got over that long ago. As for this one, it was just a thought. Not a big deal, and I put very little weight on how important it is to me, and whether or not it ever happens.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm ready to finally get to sleep. (Insomnia sucks)
I somewhat agree with you. I've posted before that threads should be locked after 44 posts although of course there should be some exceptions. Usually by that time it's taken a few tangents.

I somewhat agree with you. I've posted before that threads should be locked after 44 posts although of course there should be some exceptions. Usually by that time it's taken a few tangents.

I'm good with it either way. I'm kind of a data nut, and that's where I'm coming from. Here, fewer people read the mega threads, but they come back, and read other threads, and posts on other boards.

After all is said and done, once someone commits, the megathreads die off quickly anyway, and new threads spring up. That's when the number of users participating increase.

It depends on the thread. A recruit who takes a year to make a decision, especially one viewed as important, is going to generate a long thread because of the time horizon. That thread is likely to ebb and flow in quality depending on what's going on with the recruiting process, not any loss of control by the mod's.

If you're talking about a political thread, I guess I can see locking if it gets totally out of control (Bees does a great job over there and rarely has to lock a thread). Otherwise, unless someone's being abusive, this is a public forum where people come to express themselves. Read what you want. Skip the rest.

Last edited:
It was just a suggestion. The mods disagree, and it is what it is. I don't micromanage any of the sites I'm involved with.

Here's why I mentioned it: I have been a member of several private boards for site administrators, and I closely follow the data discussed. The consensus is that mega threads lose 1/2 the number of followers after the first couple of days/pages, and 1/2 again every week or two after that, to a point where the threads end up being a few people talking to each other.

Boards that lock threads after a few days, with new posts made once there is new info, increase the number of views, and the number of visitors, a great deal.

Looking at our server logs, I'd have to agree with those numbers.

The one difference is the "bounce rate" here is a great deal lower than most sites, and the "loyalty" numbers here are a great deal more. (Visitors here come back more often, and stay longer compared to most sites).

Bottom line: I was bored, I couldn't sleep, and I posted a thought at 2 am. Most of my posts here are met with contempt. I got over that long ago. As for this one, it was just a thought. Not a big deal, and I put very little weight on how important it is to me, and whether or not it ever happens.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm ready to finally get to sleep. (Insomnia sucks)

I didn't know that.. That's very interesting, as I've been a fan of mega threads.

As was eluded to before, with the exception of the "Dumpster Fire" thread, the other mega threads seem to build due to the time of year, length of recruitment, and lack of new information. People go to a thread hopeful to find something useful, but get bored when there is none, and take it upon themselves to try and alleviate the boredom by posting something entertaining. Some like it, some don't. The longer it goes with no new info, the larger the amount of nonsense in a thread. So, let's just blame the recruits for not committing to SU in a timely fashion!

I didn't know that.. That's very interesting, as I've been a fan of mega threads.

If I set it up right, you should now be able to see some thread stats at the top of each thread. The first is "Top Contributers." I'll look into adding others, if you are interested.

The best mega thread is the funny picture thread. 60,000 replies, and counting.

If I set it up right, you should now be able to see some thread stats at the top of each thread. The first is "Top Contributers." I'll look into adding others, if you are interested.

59,000 are Jarhead Jim's!

hmm. I don't see stats.

Same, Can't edit anything either.
Yah what happened to the edit and (more importantly) the "delete" option? Many times I have posted something and later thought better of it. Good to have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom