Another reason to hate Klinsmann | Syracusefan.com

Another reason to hate Klinsmann

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
Alienating himself further from MLS. Encouraging academy players in the US to go to Europe to play. Very short sighted. If the US is to become a contender for a WC it will be in part because of the continued improvement of MLS. I am certain of that. In the meantime he can continue his recruitment of Bundesliga 2nd , 3rd and 4th division players. Let me be clear that I have no problem with a player that goes to Europe to play in one of the top leagues in the world and the money that goes with it. ( Dempsey, Howard, Bradley ect...)

Alienating himself further from MLS. Encouraging academy players in the US to go to Europe to play. Very short sighted. If the US is to become a contender for a WC it will be in part because of the continued improvement of MLS. I am certain of that. In the meantime he can continue his recruitment of Bundesliga 2nd , 3rd and 4th division players. Let me be clear that I have no problem with a player that goes to Europe to play in one of the top leagues in the world and the money that goes with it. ( Dempsey, Howard, Bradley ect...)

I have to disagree with this. If the USA is going to contend then its players have to play against the best quality they can. That will not happen in the USA, ever. You don't have to have an elite national soccer league to be an elite team. If you did England and Spain would be better than all the other countries and that simply is not the case. Brazil and Argentina, for example, do just fine sending all their best players over to European teams.

I have to disagree with this. If the USA is going to contend then its players have to play against the best quality they can. That will not happen in the USA, ever. You don't have to have an elite national soccer league to be an elite team. If you did England and Spain would be better than all the other countries and that simply is not the case. Brazil and Argentina, for example, do just fine sending all their best players over to European teams.
Completely different scenarios with Argentina and Brazil where soccer is religion.

The MLS is never going to be a top flight league, there is too much history and tradition in Europe to change that (along with the popularity). If the US wants to get better than shipping their young players to Europe is the best route because that is where the toughest competition is.

The MLS is never going to be a top flight league, there is too much history and tradition in Europe to change that (along with the popularity). If the US wants to get better than shipping their young players to Europe is the best route because that is where the toughest competition is.
I love this word "never" is anyone here aware of how much the racial and ethnic demographics are going to change in the US by 2040. Saying never is just not looking forward. I would agree its not going to happen in the next 10 years and probably not 20.

100% agreed. People in other nations understand that their best talent has to leave to play in certain European leagues. Klinsmann is only stating the obvious. The MLS people in control of the league's "brand" (and their egos) can not handle the fact that Klinsmann is placing execution and likely results in the talent development process over marketing and likely ticket sales on the business side. The USMNT is not getting anyone close to the quality of Klinsmann if/when he leaves. We'll get a mercenary, a college coach or someone's dad -- like always. We're in a dream situation with Klinsmann and everyone wants to kill the goose. Comes with the territory, I suppose.

PS -- It's true demographics are changing in the US but if demographics were destiny in football, China would hold the last 6 world cups.

I'm in the middle on this.

I agree that guys should go overseas to better leagues than MLS, if they can.

But the most important thing is to be playing 90 minutes on a regular basis.

Going overseas and sitting the bench, or not even dressing, is not the answer.

I'll be interested to see If Yedlin sees the field for Spurs.

His positioning is not the greatest and the Premiership will punish you harshly for that.

His speed is obviously intriguing but will Pochettino take that risk?

I'm in the middle on this.

I agree that guys should go overseas to better leagues than MLS, if they can.

But the most important thing is to be playing 90 minutes on a regular basis.

Going overseas and sitting the bench, or not even dressing, is not the answer.

I'll be interested to see If Yedlin sees the field for Spurs.

His positioning is not the greatest and the Premiership will punish you harshly for that.

His speed is obviously intriguing but will Pochettino take that risk?
I said to my daughter today that I bet Yedlin is playing on loan in the championship league next year. ( and that's fine if hes playing regularly)

I said to my daughter today that I bet Yedlin is playing on loan in the championship league next year. ( and that's fine if hes playing regularly)

Yeah. With only three subs, coaches don't get to give guys some run to see how they do.

That is why guys tend to disappear.

A year or two ago, Jermaine Jones made some very candid, and interesting, comments about the lack of tactical sophistication shown by many of his
US teammates when he first joined the US national team.

Yedlin would be better served going to a lesser league and really learning the game before trying to break into the EPL.

Not necessarily true. What the US needs is (a) no salary cap and designated players; (b) relegation and promotion, so teams are at risk for underperforming. TV money rose by 500% under the new deal. Also, we have to eliminate "pay for play" academies, so that we aren't only getting the best players only from upper middle class suburbs. We have to get quality coaching to inner city players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom