Anthony Davis | Syracusefan.com

Anthony Davis

Wow - what is this guy's ceiling? He is currently 4th in scoring, 1st in rebounds and 1st in blocks in the league. Is he this generation's Olajuwon?

i don't watch much NBA but I thought he was one of the very best college players i've ever laid eyes on dating back to about 1983.

He'll be better than Lebron in the next couple years.

His ceiling is best player in the NBA for many years also its being one of the most skilled big men in almost forever. He's amazing right now but give him about 3 years. Although he's made big changes to his body he still hasn't worked on the type of post moves that will really allow his team to punish other teams. He has the skill and size to add a back to the basket game that along with his other skills will really set him apart from most big guys historically.

Wow - what is this guy's ceiling? He is currently 4th in scoring, 1st in rebounds and 1st in blocks in the league. Is he this generation's Olajuwon?

That's kinda funny you said that, I was talking a friend yesterday and I was saying maybe the KG comps for Davis were actually too low; maybe Hakeem would be a better one. Not only is he averaging 25/13/4 on 55% shooting, but in 7 games he's committed 10 turnovers and 10 personal fouls.

The sky is pretty much the limit for him at this point.

People have to remember that Davis only played one season in college so he is still maturing physically and still polishing his game, especially on the offensive end. Olajuwon came out of three years of college and averaged 20.9 ppg and 12 rbg his first year. He also shot 54% from the field which incidentally was his best year shooting the ball. Those are all amazing rookie numbers. Davis could become Olajuwon but to do that he would need to average 21.9 ppg and 11.2 rbg over an 18 year career.

Reactions: cto
People have to remember that Davis only played one season in college so he is still maturing physically and still polishing his game, especially on the offensive end. Olajuwon came out of three years of college and averaged 20.9 ppg and 12 rbg. He also shot 54% from the field which incidentally was his best year shooting the ball. Those are amazing rookie numbers. Davis could become Olajuwon but to do that he would need to average 21.9 ppg and 11.2 rbg over an 18 year career.

Which at the rate he is improving is really more a question of health and longevity IMO.

Hakeem is probably one of the 10 or 12 best players in the history of the league. That being said, I'm not putting anything past Davis at this point.

I thought David would be a solid player but didn't expect him to be star. I really blew that one from the looks of it. Trust me - not the first time I have been wrong about something! I've had a few predictions besides that go awry :)

That's actually a great comparison. Obviously, he needs to get a little stronger, but you can see the "good" size / weight he's added naturally just in the last two seasons. In two more years, his physical development will be at the same level as his athleticism, and he'll be practically unstoppable.

He is already the best in the History of the NBA already in terms of most disgusting eyebrow. Yes that was singular.

slide-anthonydavis.jpg

TIKI COULDA BEEN A CONTENDA
emanuelmaybenunibrow%5B1%5D.png

and, from what I hear, he's got the right coach. Everyone speaks very highly of Monty Williams.

other than that, though, I worry about him in New Orleans. This is where the KG comparison comes in - stuck in a basketball backwater that can never put a quality team around him

I have him on my fantasy bball team and I'm a huge NBA fan. I was way off in my prediction for him. He's still learning and barring any major injuries, he's going to be the most dominant force in the NBA in a few years.

Besides the obvious pts, boards and blocks, the guy also gets 2 steals and 2 assists per game. He makes his FTs and he shoots a high FG% for his volume.

He blocked a three pointer the other night! (http://deadspin.com/theres-no-such-thing-as-an-open-three-when-anthony-davi-1657561541)

I don't know what his ceiling is, but it sure feels like he's going to be in that KG/Duncan/Hakeem discussion. Those are some of the greatest players of all time, but what he is doing now is incredible.

If they could just get rid of that Eric Gordon contract, which may be the worst in basketball outside of the Kobe retirement fund, they would have some real flexibility. But there is no way he doesn't take the PO for next year at $15MM.

and, from what I hear, he's got the right coach. Everyone speaks very highly of Monty Williams.

other than that, though, I worry about him in New Orleans. This is where the KG comparison comes in - stuck in a basketball backwater that can never put a quality team around him

Interesting you say that about Monty; I'm not saying I disagree necessarily, but there's been some talk he might be on the hot seat if they don't make the playoffs.

Interesting you say that about Monty; I'm not saying I disagree necessarily, but there's been some talk he might be on the hot seat if they don't make the playoffs.
I can't even say myself how good Monty is, its just what I've heard and read from NBA-philes.

but if they do dump him, it might be part of what I worry about with basketball in New Orleans . . . it's not a franchise that has any history of being able to understand what they have in their hands.

IMHO he's not nearly as polished as Hakeem was offensively, nor as agile / mobile (frankly, can't think of anyone that size who was more mobile than Olajuwon). Bear in mind that the quality of big men in the league today is laughable compared to the comp Olajuwon went up against. Howard may be the best center in the league and has terrible footwork / non-existent post moves. Marc Gasol is very skilled but not a dominant / unstoppable force. Hakeem had to deal with Robinson (who he wrecked in the playoffs), a young Shaq (also destroyed), Ewing (took his lunch money in the '94 finals)... all of these guys were outstanding defenders. Shaq was probably 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier to boot (but hadn't yet become the Shaq).

While I like Davis a lot and am thrilled we have another outstanding, skilled big man (it's all about the guards now) he's got a ways to go before comparisons to Olajuwon are merited.

He will finish his career with better overall numbers. There's my far-too-early prediction.

Kid is 21 years old? Insane. For the next decade + (pending injury), this kid will be an all-star/all-nba/all-defensive team member with a legit shot every year at MVP/defensive POY.

He's that good.

i don't watch much NBA but I thought he was one of the very best college players i've ever laid eyes on dating back to about 1983.

Agreed. No question. I look for NO games on TV now to watch this kid. Special talent. Against the Cavs he caught the ball outside the 3-pt line on one play, took a couple of steps then dribbled through his legs and drilled a 20-footer. Sick.

Last edited:
IMHO he's not nearly as polished as Hakeem was offensively, nor as agile / mobile (frankly, can't think of anyone that size who was more mobile than Olajuwon). Bear in mind that the quality of big men in the league today is laughable compared to the comp Olajuwon went up against. Howard may be the best center in the league and has terrible footwork / non-existent post moves. Marc Gasol is very skilled but not a dominant / unstoppable force. Hakeem had to deal with Robinson (who he wrecked in the playoffs), a young Shaq (also destroyed), Ewing (took his lunch money in the '94 finals)... all of these guys were outstanding defenders. Shaq was probably 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier to boot (but hadn't yet become the Shaq).

While I like Davis a lot and am thrilled we have another outstanding, skilled big man (it's all about the guards now) he's got a ways to go before comparisons to Olajuwon are merited.

That is fair. Hakeem and McHale had the most diverse set of moves for big guys I have ever seen. Hakeem was way more graceful than McHale (and obviously a better player).

But I do think the KG/Duncan comparisons still fit. Duncan was obviously older when he got into the league and part of a better team than KG, but all are great players.

You are probably right on the agility thing; Hakeem was a freak like that. I don't think anyone is saying Davis is prime Hakeem yet; that would be insane. But Davis is only 21 years old and he's already killing the league. It's not hard to see him getting there is all

You are probably right on the agility thing; Hakeem was a freak like that. I don't think anyone is saying Davis is prime Hakeem yet; that would be insane. But Davis is only 21 years old and he's already killing the league. It's not hard to see him getting there is all

Is it fair to say that Ant has a better handle than Hakeem at this stage of their careers?

I dont think there will ever be another Hakeem. Power, refined post moves, agility. Davis is much more finesse and has a better outside game. I dont think their games are similar at all.

I was the other way, I thought he was the next Josh Boone or Sam Bowie or if he got real lucky Brad Daugherty. Not so by a long shot. He's REAL good and getting better.
That Lopez kid with Brooklyn has become quite solid also and I did not see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom