Anyone a member of "First Row Sports"? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone a member of "First Row Sports"?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I've had several years of frustration trying to watch our Orange. Couple of years ago I got Orange All Access (or whatever it was called), but they only streamed home games that were not broadcast on TV - total waste of money. Last year I paid for ESPN Full Court hoping to get the eight games that were not on my dish, but got blacked-out on six of them - very expensive lesson learned.

Streaming seems to be my only alternative, although the clarity sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. To register for "First Row Sports" they want my credit card. Their disclaimer indicates nothing will be charged to it as it is only a means of confirming my address or to buy something.

Has anyone had a problem with them regarding your credit card? Appreciate it.

I'm not necessarily sure what a premium membership (or whatever signing up to FRS does). You can access all of their content (from what I know) without signing up to anything. It may remove the ads, but you can already do that with AdBlock and just familiarizing yourself with how to get the video to play.

Also, just from knowing a little bit about their website, sometimes they do not carry the Syracuse game. It really just boils down to whether or not someone has the ability/want to share. It isn't a terribly difficult process to set up, but sometimes those that do it are busy doing other things.

Anyhow, FRS is fine to use, but I would only use it if you have AdBlock and you're familiar with how to not click/download random malware that is littered all over the website. If you try to use it without knowing how to watch videos on websites similar to these, then you're going to have a bad time

I wouldn't give them anything. Firstrow links are supposed to be free. They get away with what they do because they don't actually host the video content themselves, they aggregate links to other sites that actually host the content.

My guess is that's a third party that hosts streams for firstrow, trying to pass themselves off as firstrow and trying to make money off people that aren't entirely sure how the process work or are just trying it out for the first time.

I've had several years of frustration trying to watch our Orange. Couple of years ago I got Orange All Access (or whatever it was called), but they only streamed home games that were not broadcast on TV - total waste of money. Last year I paid for ESPN Full Court hoping to get the eight games that were not on my dish, but got blacked-out on six of them - very expensive lesson learned.

Streaming seems to be my only alternative, although the clarity sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. To register for "First Row Sports" they want my credit card. Their disclaimer indicates nothing will be charged to it as it is only a means of confirming my address or to buy something.

Credit card? Most of the stuff on there you can get for free. You just have to deal with the annoying ads and pop ups.

What Scotty Nguyen said...never ever ever ever EVER give firstrowsports (or someone pretending to be firstrow) a credit card. Also, when in doubt, always trust a wsop champion(...baby).

Is this the one you are referring to Syracusian?

I am obviously very leary about using a credit card which is why I wanted to get some feedback first.

Over the past few years I have used First Row on occasion. More times than not you can get rid of the ads by "waiting them out" or clicking the "X" over and over again. However, this year there is no way I can get rid of them at all regardless of what I am trying to watch (testing all various sports). Seems all the streaming sites have similar problems. Furthermore, ESPN3 is not available where I live.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it could be another frustrating season for me.

One option with the early games and the ACC network affiliate games you cannot get is to simply watch the replays on ESPN3. (free with DT account login) They are almost always on there and even the blacked out games are good to go on replay. Yes you won't see them live but lets face it none of the games that aren't on one of the ESPN's or a national network are marquee matchups.

Last edited:

I am obviously very leary about using a credit card which is why I wanted to get some feedback first.

Over the past few years I have used First Row on occasion. More times than not you can get rid of the ads by "waiting them out" or clicking the "X" over and over again. However, this year there is no way I can get rid of them at all regardless of what I am trying to watch (testing all various sports). Seems all the streaming sites have similar problems. Furthermore, ESPN3 is not available where I live.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it could be another frustrating season for me.

Hey again Don,

Yeah, that AdBlock Plus is what I was talking about. You can use NoScript in conjunction with ABP if you want as well. Texas describes in a post below this one. I would download that and should work for most of what you're going to encounter. Even if you do get a pop-up or two, it isn't the end of the world. In the worst case scenario, you just ctrl+alt+delete out of it. However, when you go back and load up your browser, often times it will just reload what you shut down (because they think you want it, but this can be disabled, I believe). Actually, the worst case scenario would be that you had malware/trojans on your computer, which are easy enough to remove and I can walk you through it if needed. You have the potential of the information on your computer being compromised though.

I agree that it does get harder and harder to just watch the videos. They design the website/video player to be as annoying and filled with malware as possible. That's how they generate money unfortunately. I haven't used FRS in a while now, but perhaps you can link me something that you're having an issue with and I'll see if I can get the video to play. I'll then post instructions or try to walk you through it.

The best options that you have for viewing/listening to games are probably the following:
  • Internet based: ESPN3, FRS, ACC's website, Orange All Access, etc. I know you said that ESPN3 isn't available where you live, but you can just use someone else's account if needed. Lots of people share information, and I'm guessing lots of people on our own friendly forum are using someone else's HBOGO, ESPN3, NetFlix, etc. I believe that Amazon Prime now allows for one other user (non-household to use it, and I'm sure others have some variation of that policy as well). You may be worried about IP addresses, and this is a concern, but I've never once heard a story about someone getting suspended, banned, or sued over this. I also know people that just buy one NFL Sunday Ticket and then share the online version of it and split costs. Again, rules/laws are probably being broken here.
  • Going to a local bar/large establishment: Buffalo Wild Wings or a Miller's Ale House type place. These guys usually have most sport packages and in most circumstances, they can get just about anything. It will be more difficult to get our lower-end games though.
  • Cable packages: In most circumstances, you should be able to get all of the major games. But as you said, you were interested in the ~8 or so that you're going to have a hard time with. I remember the news when TWC/Syracuse agreed to the contract that would broadcast all of our non-televised games on TWCS. This still posed a problem for out of towners (I believe) because TWCS is based upon where you live. More silliness.
  • If you have any interest in just getting the audio of a Colgate game, then that might be a good option too. I'm guessing that TK99 has a TuneIn. After typing this, I Googled it, and they do.
  • Audio: Here's a Solvay link for TK99: http://tunein.com/radio/TK99-991-s11592/ and here's a link for Syracuse Orange on TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/stations/Syracuse-Orange-a37790/
  • One last option, for funniness, would be to move back to Syracuse. I know this is probably very difficult, and you probably live somewhere sunny! But, hopefully, as internet streaming becomes even more popular, they'll eventually just carry everything online. This would obviously be the way to go and will eventually happen.
You can often find Syracuse links on Justin.TV and other streaming websites too. If I can, this year, I'll try to post links to the games. Usually you can find out whether or not they're going to be available relatively early on the day of the game.

Ah yes, I would strongly suggest not to sign up for FRS or any other streaming website like that. You would have a lot of fraudulent activity within a day or so.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited:
If you do use FRS, and I have on numerous occasions, use it with Firefox and NoScript. Now, here's the catch: because NoScript automatically disables all of the scripts and popups and other malware, you will need to go through the list of disables scripts and manually activate the ones that will provide the video stream. These usually end in .tv or something similar. This may seem cumbersome, but it works and you will quickly learn what sites are malware/ads and which provide the actual stream.

Oh, one more thing, make sure to look over ACC list of affiliates. I know they expanded them last year.

If you do use FRS, and I have on numerous occasions, use it with Firefox and NoScript. Now, here's the catch: because NoScript automatically disables all of the scripts and popups and other malware, you will need to go through the list of disables scripts and manually activate the ones that will provide the video stream. These usually end in .tv or something similar. This may seem cumbersome, but it works and you will quickly learn what sites are malware/ads and which provide the actual stream.

Oh, one more thing, make sure to look over ACC list of affiliates. I know they expanded them last year.
Yeah, what Texas said about NoScript is great. My brother got me into using NoScript a long time ago. It is definitely very helpful. I haven't used it in over 6-7 years now though. I would vouch for NoScript too. I also always use Mozilla.

I have used them occasionally, but whatever you do, don't download the players they are constantly trying to get you to download. Just say no.

Man, all this technical mumbo-jumbo may be too much for this old brain to handle. It should not be this difficult to watch your favourite team. Thanks for the further input and help guys.

Syracusian - sending you a message.

I would like to say thanks to Syracusian and Deano for their help and providing some streaming links. With Adblock Plus I can now watch streaming sports without difficulty. Hopefully those sites will be carrying the Cuse games as that is all I really want streaming for.

Man, all this technical mumbo-jumbo may be too much for this old brain to handle. It should not be this difficult to watch your favourite team. Thanks for the further input and help guys.

Syracusian - sending you a message.

Thank the cable monopolies and dumb game rights.

Install adblock plus, most games will be on front row you just have to close out some additional popups. If it's asking something it's not them but the third party hosting the content. There are no premium accounts there, everything is free.

I watched every 'Cuse game, every Cleveland Cavs game (save a handful) for free last season on First Row. There must've been at least a dozen free streams of the Mayweather-Pacquiao $89.95 plus ppv on First Row.

As for dealing with the pop-ups, I take care of that by using Firefox for First Row streams.

One more thing Don... where do you live?

I live in Virginia and have DirecTV (I know you said you had satellite, wasn't sure whether it's Dish or DirecTV). With DirecTV I get the sports package, and between that and watchespn.com I end up getting every SU basketball game. It has worked for me for the last five years. When the season is finished, I just cancel the sports package. Typically with the sports package, the game will be blacked out on some of the providers but not all. Worth a try if you're interested.

One more thing Don... where do you live?

I live in Virginia and have DirecTV (I know you said you had satellite, wasn't sure whether it's Dish or DirecTV). With DirecTV I get the sports package, and between that and watchespn.com I end up getting every SU basketball game. It has worked for me for the last five years. When the season is finished, I just cancel the sports package. Typically with the sports package, the game will be blacked out on some of the providers but not all. Worth a try if you're interested.
If he lives close, can he just come to your house?

If he lives close, can he just come to your house?
Don seems like a good dude, I wouldn't have a problem with that!

To clarify, the reason I asked was because if he lived in CNY they may black out home games on ESPN Full Court, but they don't do that out of market. Part of the whole Time Warner sports thing I think.

Thanks for the invite "A Clockwork Orange". A little too far to travel I'm afraid. I'm sending you a private message.

How about using a VPN to disguise the fact you're a Canuck?

Problem I've run into using VPNs for such reasons is that it is it can be soooooo slow that the game has a tough time loading up and making it through the entire thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom