Anyone else feel too "old" for GA music festivals or concerts? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else feel too "old" for GA music festivals or concerts?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I'm in my mid 40s. I still love music. I still love live music. But I am long past the point of enjoying the sardine cramming experience of general admission "standing". I hate it.

I saw today that Boston Calling dropped its lineup and it looks amazing. But its expensive as hell, and I cannot justify traveling to Boston, getting a hotel for 3 nights, paying for parking and food and drink for 4 people, and paying $300 per person for the cheapest admission option considering i have bad knees and am going to miserable after a day never mind 3. And even the $1800 per person option (which I am not able to spring for anyway) still doesn't have a dedicated seating pavillion.

I pretty much only attend events where I have a dedicated seat. Even if I stand the whole time, the ability to sit at least between sets is critical.

I can't be alone in this, can I?

I'm in my mid 40s. I still love music. I still love live music. But I am long past the point of enjoying the sardine cramming experience of general admission "standing". I hate it.

I saw today that Boston Calling dropped its lineup and it looks amazing. But its expensive as hell, and I cannot justify traveling to Boston, getting a hotel for 3 nights, paying for parking and food and drink for 4 people, and paying $300 per person for the cheapest admission option considering i have bad knees and am going to miserable after a day never mind 3. And even the $1800 per person option (which I am not able to spring for anyway) still doesn't have a dedicated seating pavillion.

I pretty much only attend events where I have a dedicated seat. Even if I stand the whole time, the ability to sit at least between sets is critical.

You are not alone

I don’t attend shows anymore unless it is to see somebody about whom I am really excited.
It is a short list.

I don’t attend shows anymore unless it is to see somebody about whom I am really excited.
It is a short list.
Seeing the Foo Fighters first live performance back would have qualified as something I really excited about. But not at that financial and physical cost.

I rarely attend indoor shows anymore. I’m pretty content seeing a few shows a summer at Shelburne Museum on the grass, sitting in the lawn chair I brought.

I live in DC and go to shows about once a month, but increasingly once every other month. My body can’t handle the general admission shows like it once could and I prefer smaller venues more so than larger ones. Years ago I went to Coachella, Sasquatch, Osheaga. Good times. But I agree, festivals aren’t worth it now. If anyone wants to go to a show in DC, hit me up and we’ll get reserved seats with the rest of the old folks. ;)

Went to a small indoor show last summer.

Sat at the bar for the openers.

Got on my feet in the thick of things for the headliner. I wore my adidas Ultra Boosts - they help the feet feel better in such settings, lol.

It was a middle aged crowd - one of the younger openers made a “you all are gonna need icy hot tomorrow” joke, lol.

I rarely attend indoor shows anymore. I’m pretty content seeing a few shows a summer at Shelburne Museum on the grass, sitting in the lawn chair I brought.
That's how I do it. Big fan of amphitheater lawn seating. Put out a blanket and just hang.

You are not. In fact I’ve gotten to the point that I almost don’t go if it isn’t a bucket list band for me.

That said, I have NEVER been to a festival type concert cuz I just hate crowds that big, and my anxiety ugh. Weird that sports events don’t do it to me.

I'm definitely at the point where I want a dedicated seat. I did go to a show at a small NYC venue last year where I was standing. It was a bucket list type of thing, so I stood. Those are few and far between these days.

I did my time in Bruce's GA pit.

These days, if I don't have a seat, I'm not going.
1673476063209.gif