Anyone else leaving? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else leaving?

gilardino

Starter
Transferring or going to the NBA from this current cuse team? Right now we have 11 players heading into 2015-16. My gut is there is 1 more surprise

Transferring or going to the NBA from this current cuse team? Right now we have 11 players heading into 2015-16. My gut is there is 1 more surprise

That could be why we haven't seen a commitment from Bryant? It would take us down to 10 and might prevent us from deferring the scholarship penalty to next year based on a strict reading of one interpretation of the sanctions.

so if one more person leaves, bring us to 10 players then. My gut is one more person is leaving for the nba

That could be why we haven't seen a commitment from Bryant? It would take us down to 10 and might prevent us from deferring the scholarship penalty to next year based on a strict reading of one interpretation of the sanctions.

For what it's worth I think it's pretty clear that, because su has already signed 4 recruits, it is the schools option on whether to defer sanctions for a year regardless of what happens subsequent to issuance of sanctions.

so if one more person leaves, bring us to 10 players then. My gut is one more person is leaving for the nba

The only two candidates would be Gbinije or McCullough. Gbinije isn't going to be drafted by the NBA, so I'd expect him back. And McCullough might get drafted if he were to come out, but it would be a second round selection--which would make it a non-optimal financial decision on his part.

We could still have somebody leave, I suppose--but I doubt its for the NBA.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely, right? You could argue Obokoh has no real future with the team, but if he's close with Bryant...

if mcullogh goes to the NBA, (he previously said he was coming back), he will not even get drafted in the second round

if mcullogh goes to the NBA, (he previously said he was coming back), he will not even get drafted in the second round

He would for sure get drafted in the second round. He is first round talent going late due to injury, most every team would take him in the second, because the other guys left to choose from aren't first round talents. He won't go because the money isn't guaranteed for 2nd round contracts.

I agree. The way rumors work, we would have heard by now.
maybe G is weighing offers from europe or wherever and may take his degree and go.

Nobody would expect Roberson to leave for the NBA.

Therefore, it's Roberson.

upload_2015-3-27_9-52-19.jpeg

Just a thought on this, and I have zero inside information regarding any player, but all the returning guys and the coaches have been quite involved in volunteering around the community the past couple of weeks. Everyone who is supposed to come back has still been involved with the team.

Also our season has been over for 3 weeks. JB has already had his discussions regarding what he expects out of guys next year. Obviously this is what lead to Patterson/BJ transferring. With the exchange between players and coach already taken place, I highly doubt anyone else is going to leave. It would of already been announced.

I think there is still confusion about the penalties. The NCAA has never taken scholarships away from current or signed student-athletes. Syracuse should be allowed to carry more than 10 scholarship players under these parameters.

I have no idea how the appeal impacts the case of Bryant's potential scholarship.

For what it's worth I think it's pretty clear that, because su has already signed 4 recruits, it is the schools option on whether to defer sanctions for a year regardless of what happens subsequent to issuance of sanctions.

I don't think you are reading the sanctions correctly, if you believe there isn't a question here (the language is below). If we don't lost any more returning players; I agree, no question we can defer. In that case we have and will have 11 commitments that were made prior to the issuance of the sanctions ("11 already executed financial aid agreements") and we would be able to defer the penalty so that we don't have to revoke an award to get to the reduced number. In that case I agree with the interpretation that there is nothing that would prevent us from giving out additional scholarships up to 13 because the deferral means that next year is not a year subject to restriction.

However, if we lose one additional returning player the four incoming signed recruits would only put us at 10 committed scholarships for next year. Even if we added Bryant to get to 11 we would still only have 10 "already executed financial aid agreements" that were in existence at the time we became aware of the sanctions - because the other three (Patterson, Johnson and player X) will have gone away. Those commitments could be honored in an environment where we were forced to reduce to 10 without requiring us to revoke a commitment to anyone. I wouldn't be as certain that the NCAA would allow us to defer if it were an after awarded scholarship (which Bryant's would be) that pushed us to 11 because that issue can be avoided by not extending the offer.

Not sure how the appeal and people's suggestion that penalties are stayed plays into it as the appeal may or may not be decided before the Spring signing period wraps up. I don't think the NCAA would have as much difficulty screwing Bryant if we offered him and he accepted simply because they could say we were all on notice and chose to push ahead anyway.

Reduction in Athletics Awards.
The total number of athletically related financial aid awards in men's basketball shall be reduced by three awards during each of the 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 academic years.
If the institution has already executed athletically related financial aid agreements to prospective student - athletes for the 2015 - 16 academic year that would prevent the institution from meeting this penalty,
the institution has the option to begin the penalty with the 2016-17 academic year. If because of already executed financial aid agreements, the institution chooses to begin this penalty with the 2016-17 academic year,
the institution must provide documentation of the date that the agreement was signed by the prospective student-athletes that prevented the institution from beginning the penalty with the 2015-16 academic year.

I believe the roster for next yr is what we currently see now. McCullough has already said he would return as well as the others. BJ and Ron are out and the scholly hit doesn't take place until next season. While there is still a chance we could get Bryant, im in the camp that he signs w kentucky, hope im wrong. Many keep saying that hes good friends with Obokoh, which they may be, but he has been prepping in WV for 2 yrs and alot has changed. next yr alot could happen but things will work themselves out. I believe the staff feels that at least 1 or 2 underclassmen will be gone along with Srs Cooney and Gbinijie. McCullough and someone else, helping us get Battle along with Moyer. In guessing they feel pretty good about getting a scholly or 2 back as well. All just guesses, but ones that make the most sense to me currently. Im keeping my fingers crossed on a healthy enough DC to get 20-25 mins

Its certainly possible but if it happened I would think it would be another transfer not an early entry.

Anyone else leaving?

Yeah, I'm leaving shortly to go get some beer for the weekend, but I'll be back. ;)

I believe the roster for next yr is what we currently see now. McCullough has already said he would return as well as the others. BJ and Ron are out and the scholly hit doesn't take place until next season. While there is still a chance we could get Bryant, im in the camp that he signs w kentucky, hope im wrong. Many keep saying that hes good friends with Obokoh, which they may be, but he has been prepping in WV for 2 yrs and alot has changed. next yr alot could happen but things will work themselves out. I believe the staff feels that at least 1 or 2 underclassmen will be gone along with Srs Cooney and Gbinijie. McCullough and someone else, helping us get Battle along with Moyer. In guessing they feel pretty good about getting a scholly or 2 back as well. All just guesses, but ones that make the most sense to me currently. Im keeping my fingers crossed on a healthy enough DC to get 20-25 mins

I'm with you. I think Bryant is out of the picture. McCullough leaves after next year, which allows us to sign Battle. We already have a spot for Moyer now that BJ and Ron are moving on. If we were to sign Bryant for next year, then he would have to be a 1 and done. Maybe he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom