Anyone else shocked | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else shocked

Not really - it was the smart thing to do if you're the underdog. We had trouble stopping them on 3rd and short all night long. Why not go for it and try to get 2 1/2 yards?

Nah. Robertson routinely converted a ridiculous number of 3rd downs. Perhaps a little gutsy but we weren't stopping him before.

I was shocked. Everyone I was watching with was surprised. We were playing so poorly I would think Nova could just keep matching our score until we messed up.

Then again, nova was banking on our being unprepared for the two point conversion and not being able to stop their QB. Two solid assumptions there.

Nah. Robertson routinely converted a ridiculous number of 3rd downs. Perhaps a little gutsy but we weren't stopping him before.
It was more or less the only time we actually stopped him in the backfield on a designed run on 3 rd and short

They ran that same play and gained 5+ yards all night. Why stop?

Not shocked. That play they ran for 2 had worked all night, might as well go to the well one more time and try and grab a win

Not shocked, but surprised. They were playing better. But I also agree with bballbeadle, much to be admired about the play call.

I called it before they even scored the TD. It's one of those things that major underdogs tend to do.

that Nova went for 2 in the 2nd OT?

I was more surprised that we stopped them. It was a high risk/high reward choice that underdogs have to make to win games. Syracuse made a play at the right time.

We hadn't stopped their QB running left outside the tackle all game. The coach figured if our coordinators were too stupid to adjust all game , it would work one more time. That 2 pt play was the only one our defense stopped all night.

Anyone else shocked that Nova went for 2 in the 2nd OT?

I know underdogs playing away from home do it a lot but I don't think it was the right decision. Kicking the PAT and extending the game would've given them a better chance of winning because they were moving the ball better than SU and had a greater chance of scoring. Going for two meant SU's defense just had to stop them for ONE PLAY as opposed to having to stop them for several plays on a drive - something the defense was having trouble doing.

The last 5 times Nova had possession of the ball the result was: TD, FG, missed FG, FG, TD. Going for two put an end to their offensive production.

wasn't surprised after the kicker blew the chip shot winner in regulation and how we blew it in ot 1 with 1st and goal at the 1 and settling for fg there coach probably thought as the underdog as time goes on talent usually prevails so why not take a shot at the win right here

not surprised just that they went with that play and not the same play that had worked all day. that was designed Qb draw not the normal wildcat fake handoff and roll with the wash play that was working over and over

Agree with what everyone above said. We were not able to stop him all night. Odds were greatly in their favor. That said, I think our coach and his decision with the fake field goal played into the Nova coach's decision. Sort of a who had more guts moment.

Is it in the 3rd OT or after it when teams are forced to go for two? Assuming the former, may as well take a crack at the win when it's sitting there. They'd have to do it the next time around anyway (if they make it to the end zone) and even then it might only be enough to tie the score and force another OT period.

Is it in the 3rd OT or after it when teams are forced to go for two? Assuming the former, may as well take a crack at the win when it's sitting there. They'd have to do it the next time around anyway (if they make it to the end zone) and even then it might only be enough to tie the score and force another OT period.
Yes, 3rd OT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom