APR - Kentucky Perfect score | Syracusefan.com

APR - Kentucky Perfect score

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Kentucky earns a perfect APR score for 2013-14.

I don't remember exactly how APR is calculated, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me that the APR should be capable of being calculated in a fashion that would allow Kentucky to earn a perfect score. I say that not because I dislike Kentucky, but because Kentucky has become the standard bearer for the one and done student athlete. Should you be able to earn a perfect score if you have multiple guys leaving early every year?

If that is the case what is it actually measuring? When I think of APR in the abstract I think of it as a measurement of the school's ability to keep its student athletes progressing towards a degree, such that they are actually going to earn a degree within a reasonable amount of time. I guess I don't think of getting a bunch of freshman to make it through their freshman year academically and then leave as really achieving any goal worthy of a perfect score. Maybe there should be a higher level of APR that rewards the programs and teams that graduate athletes.

Again, I'm not saying penalize Kentucky. If they kept all of their currently enrolled athletes enrolled for the full academic year and they made the academic progress required to advance to the next class that is noteworthy. Just not in my mind worthy of being considered perfection in a measure that is supposed to be some form of proxy for measuring academic performance.

I believe it is based on successfully completing coursework for the year. So effectively Cal likely talks to his incoming freshmen and gets a commitment that they will complete their coursework even if they jump to the NBA. They set them up with the bare minimum classwork to make this easily achievable.

Hate him or not he is good at making his program work for him.

Its simply beating the system. The premise behind APR is something I agree with but they need to find a better way to track progress, it was not well thought out by the NCAA. One-and-doners simply take the minimum course loads required and the easiest classes available. Earning C's for 12 credit hours in a basketball sympathetic professor's basket weaving, coaching and correspondence class' is like JB's "dead man grabbing one rebound a game" analogy. Its very hard not to do.

Freshmen take much easier (basically high school 2.0) courses than upperclassmen. Kentucky has mostly Freshmen. Therefore, Kentucky gets a perfect score.
Q: But why do Kentucky players who are going pro stick around and finish their Spring coursework when dudes at Syracuse didn't?
A1: It's probably in the contract they sign with WWW and Cal during their illegal recruitment. :eek:
A2: When a player comes in knowing he'll only be there for a year or two and the coach is fasttracking him to the NBA, he probably feels obligated not to be a . We apparently recruited some d*ckheads.

I don't remember exactly how APR is calculated, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me that the APR should be capable of being calculated in a fashion that would allow Kentucky to earn a perfect score. I say that not because I dislike Kentucky, but because Kentucky has become the standard bearer for the one and done student athlete. Should you be able to earn a perfect score if you have multiple guys leaving early every year?

If that is the case what is it actually measuring? When I think of APR in the abstract I think of it as a measurement of the school's ability to keep its student athletes progressing towards a degree, such that they are actually going to earn a degree within a reasonable amount of time. I guess I don't think of getting a bunch of freshman to make it through their freshman year academically and then leave as really achieving any goal worthy of a perfect score. Maybe there should be a higher level of APR that rewards the programs and teams that graduate athletes.

Again, I'm not saying penalize Kentucky. If they kept all of their currently enrolled athletes enrolled for the full academic year and they made the academic progress required to advance to the next class that is noteworthy. Just not in my mind worthy of being considered perfection in a measure that is supposed to be some form of proxy for measuring academic performance.

As much as the initial feeling is this has to be wrong, I disagree with your premise. The APR is only measuring that athletes stayed in good academic standing, basically. I'm not sure that much more than that can really be assessed. If you make it where players have to graduate in order to get credit, schools would be punished for things that are outside of their control (the player decides to leave early). I could argue that the schools are already being punished for that because when a player decides to leave early and then doesn't stay in good academic standing for the second semester - how is the school supposed to force them to? Syracuse has been hurt by this very thing and we have no where near the number of early departures as UK.

This is just another one of those insane and morally/ethically squishy things you have to get comfortable with if you want to be a fan of college basketball.

As much as the initial feeling is this has to be wrong, I disagree with your premise. The APR is only measuring that athletes stayed in good academic standing, basically. I'm not sure that much more than that can really be assessed. If you make it where players have to graduate in order to get credit, schools would be punished for things that are outside of their control (the player decides to leave early). I could argue that the schools are already being punished for that because when a player decides to leave early and then doesn't stay in good academic standing for the second semester - how is the school supposed to force them to? Syracuse has been hurt by this very thing and we have no where near the number of early departures as UK.

This is just another one of those insane and morally/ethically squishy things you have to get comfortable with if you want to be a fan of college basketball.

The requirement that players who leave early have to finish the semester is what makes the APR entirely asinine. The sensible solution is to collect midterm grades for the players leaving early and use that in the APR calculation.

I have no problem with a rating system based on if the athlete is in good standing. If it is better for the player to leave after one year, why discourage it? Graduating players is great, but I don't think schools should be penalized if athletes decide to make the jump to the NBA as long as they are performing at a satisfactory level while still at school.

Perfect APR score...sure thing. The UK players pick up their final grades at registration. Just like in One on One. Now that's effective Basketball Services Administration in action.

Perfect APR score...sure thing. The UK players pick up their final grades at registration. Just like in One on One. Now that's effective Basketball Services Administration in action.
Honestly I'm just over here fist pumping at the reference to One on One. Man, Annette O'Toole was a stone cold fox in that movie. Michael McKean, you lucky dog.

Cal has a great relationship with his players. He supports them when they make the decision to go to the NBA (even shows up at the draft). Agree he is Cal and will always have that used car salesman rep, but when our guys leave we slam them and say they aren't ready on ESPN. Why come back and finish up your classwork at a place that is trying to sandbag you (right or wrong)?

Cal has a great relationship with his players. He supports them when they make the decision to go to the NBA (even shows up at the draft). Agree he is Cal and will always have that used car salesman rep, but when our guys leave we slam them and say they aren't ready on ESPN. Why come back and finish up your classwork at a place that is trying to sandbag you (right or wrong)?

Because Cal is a cheatar and if you disagree you're not a real Syracuse fan rabble rabble.

Who were all these 1 and dones in 2013-14?

Release related to the 4 year period ending 2013-14

Doing this a little bit by memory, but encompassed during that period should be:

2013-14; Julius Randle and James Young
2012-13: Nerlens Noel and Archie Goodwin
2011-12: Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marquis Teague (Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones were 2 and done)
2010-11: Brandon Knight (Darius Miller and DeAndre Liggins left after their Junior seasons)

A one and done has to complete 24 credits with a 1.8 to be eligible. Only 6 of those credits have to be in the Spring semester, so in theory it could go like this:
Summer School - 6 credits
Fall-12 credits
Spring - 6 credits

I won't blame Cal for working the system to his advantage, it's just that using APR to judge academic success is a complete joke. In contrast, a student who stays 5 years has to graduate or else they are a failure (even if they took on a major like Chem. Engineering or something)

This is not a first for Kentucky. I believe they have been either perfect or very close since Cal got there. However they do it, he makes sure the kids get their prescribed grades and GPA to be on course to graduate. That is all that is required. I even read somewhere that the majors most are enrolled in AREN'T like homemade dishware etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom