Are we recruiting any blue chip PGs for 2017? | Syracusefan.com

Are we recruiting any blue chip PGs for 2017?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I don't want to go over who we have lost but are there any prospects who handle the ball we are pursuing?
If so do we have a good chance at any of them.
I don't care about the two big men we got this cycle they aren't contributing next year.

I don't want to go over who we have lost but are there any prospects who handle the ball we are pursuing?
I don't care about the two big men we got this cycle they aren't contributing next year.

Brissett is not a big, hes a combo forward. There's no elite PG's left. We are trying to get Ayala to reclass. He is a combo. Quinerly is the best hope for an elite PG in the next two years, problem is he is 2018.

Brissett is not a big, hes a combo forward. There's no elite PG's left. We are trying to get Ayala to reclass. He is a combo. Quinerly is the best hope for an elite PG in the next two years, problem is he is 2018.
So we are looking at Howard as the only PG on the roster unless Battle stays? As I don't get excited for grad transfers right now.
Listen I call it the way I see it. This staff has botched the program up and the lost scholarships are killing us now.

So we are looking at Howard as the only PG on the roster unless Battle stays? As I don't get excited for grad transfers right now.
Listen I call it the way I see it. This staff has botched the program up and the lost scholarships are killing us now.

Where's Battle going? He's not a PG anyway and has looked as bad as FH against major competition.

Where's Battle going? He's not a PG anyway and has looked as bad as FH against major competition.
Richardson had a good preseason and then a couple of good conference games at UVA and then a good NCAAT.
If this team is going to have a winning record Battle is the guy to be the 3rd option with White and Lydon.

Correct.

Best case scenario is that Battle comes back, and Frank improves a lot for next year. But behind them, there is zero depth in the backcourt. So if Frank DOESN'T improve or transfers, and Battle declares or whatever, we're in dire straits at the wing positions.

Part of the issue is that there isn't anybody left for them to go after--certainly not any blue chippers. We burned bridges with Coleman, etc. and took ourselves out of the running.

That doesn't mean that there isn't some capable prospects out there we might try get involved with at the 11th hour, but blue chippers--no.

Correct.
If this is true then I believe JB is done after this year.
He shouldn't want to come back for a lame duck year with that roster. He himself said he doesn't want a farewell tour but that is what he would get.

He really botched recruiting if we are this thin for 2017 already.

Richardson had a good preseason and then a couple of good conference games at UVA and then a good NCAAT.
If this team is going to have a winning record Battle is the guy to be the 3rd option with White and Lydon.

Malachi averaged nearly 14 points a game in the non-conference. Battle is averaging 6 and has been a catch and shoot player. I just don't think it's going to click for him this year, which is problematic for the team.

If this is true then I believe JB is done after this year.
He shouldn't want to come back for a lame duck year with that roster. He himself said he doesn't want a farewell tour but that is what he would get.

He really botched recruiting if we are this thin for 2017 already.

Yup. We could be looking at having to fill as many as 7 scholarships this offseason, if Lydon / Battle leave, or if we have an unexpected transfer from a disgruntled player. Going all in on Green was really a bad move. There was room for Green and a player like Washington [who ended up at Minnesota] in such a large class. At least then we wouldn't be left holding the bag.

And for the record, I really like the two recruits we have lined up. The problem is, frontcourt looks pretty good for next year even without those two factoring in. It's the backcourt / wing where we needed to replenish, and so far we haven't done that in the class of 2017. Really poor roster management, IMO.

Richardson shot 41.5% from 3 in conference on nearly 6 attempts per game. That's really good. He had NBA size and an NBA stroke. If people think he wasn't on the NBA radar before he played VA in the tourney, they're deluding themselves.

ETA: Battle may be on the radar, too, but he's got a pretty lengthy injury history and hasn't shown the skill that Malachi has. So I think scouts will likely view him with a more critical eye. Although, he can blow up in conference and that would be it. All he has to do is show that he can hang with the best in conference. He's the 2nd best player on this year's squad to Lydon.

Maybe see if Lucas Woodhouse (Stony Brook) is interested in being a grad transfer to SU next season.

Richardson shot 41.5% from 3 in conference on nearly 6 attempts per game. That's really good. He had NBA size and an NBA stroke. If people think he wasn't on the NBA radar before he played VA in the tourney, they're deluding themselves.

ETA: Battle may be on the radar, too, but he's got a pretty lengthy injury history and hasn't shown the skill that Malachi has. So I think scouts will likely view him with a more critical eye. Although, he can blow up in conference and that would be it. All he has to do is show that he can hang with the best in conference. He's the 2nd best player on this year's squad to Lydon.

The stats don't suggest he's the second best player, in fact the stats suggest he's been worse than Howard or Gillon.

The stats don't suggest he's the second best player, in fact the stats suggest he's been worse than Howard or Gillon.
They are, but neither FH or Gillon have much of a chance to be NBA players. I think the only two NBA players are Lydon and Battle. Thompson is probably 3rd, but he's got work to do before he can be an NBA 4.

If Lydon leaves this year, Brissett will play a lot next year. Maybe starts. That's how thin we'll be if we don't find a suitable replacement via the transfer route.

Why would Brissett start? Well, Thompson would move to the 5 because Chukwu certainly isn't capable of starting and Sidibe isn't ready (although I'd expect him to get minutes).

Moyer starts at the 3 or 4 depending on how they see Brissett.

Backcourt is Howard and Battle (he'll be back).

The only change in that lineup would be because of the addition of a stud grad transfer.

I think we'll go after two again -- a guard and a forward. Ayala could be in the mix here. But even with him, would be wise to go after another guard the minute we get word on transfers.

So next year's roster:

PG Howard
SG Battle
PF Brissett or Moyer
SF Moyer or Brissett
C Thompson

PG Ayala/grad transfer
SG Ayala/grad transfer
F grad transfer
C Sidibe
C Chukwu

Again, that's not using all of our available scholarships. Perhaps there's a high school sleeper or maybe we go after three grad transfers (unlikely).

Just don't see many other scenarios.

If Lydon leaves this year, Brissett will play a lot next year. Maybe starts. That's how thin we'll be if we don't find a suitable replacement via the transfer route.

Why would Brissett start? Well, Thompson would move to the 5 because Chukwu certainly isn't capable of starting and Sidibe isn't ready (although I'd expect him to get minutes).

Moyer starts at the 3 or 4 depending on how they see Brissett.

Backcourt is Howard and Battle (he'll be back).

The only change in that lineup would be because of the addition of a stud grad transfer.

I think we'll go after two again -- a guard and a forward. Ayala could be in the mix here. But even with him, would be wise to go after another guard the minute we get word on transfers.

So next year's roster:

PG Howard
SG Battle
PF Brissett or Moyer
SF Moyer or Brissett
C Thompson

PG Ayala/grad transfer
SG Ayala/grad transfer
F grad transfer
C Sidibe
C Chukwu

Again, that's not using all of our available scholarships. Perhaps there's a high school sleeper or maybe we go after three grad transfers (unlikely).

Just don't see many other scenarios.

Hope TL really likes college.

Yup. We could be looking at having to fill as many as 7 scholarships this offseason, if Lydon / Battle leave, or if we have an unexpected transfer from a disgruntled player. Going all in on Green was really a bad move. There was room for Green and a player like Washington [who ended up at Minnesota] in such a large class. At least then we wouldn't be left holding the bag.

And for the record, I really like the two recruits we have lined up. The problem is, frontcourt looks pretty good for next year even without those two factoring in. It's the backcourt / wing where we needed to replenish, and so far we haven't done that in the class of 2017. Really poor roster management, IMO.

Imagine if we had Kevin Huerter for next year. The sanctions and lost scholarships, as you have said, really messed with how the staff went after kids. They went strong after their top choices, got Battle, lost Green, and then when the early departures happened, there wasn't the talent on the roster to develop. Being concerned about bringing in players that might not work, and having those kids take up precious scholarships has to be a factor in their thinking. With 13 spots, you can take a total plan b kid, and sit him for 2-3 years. The NCAA got us, despite the FF run. We are hindered severely and on top of that missed on recruits we needed to get. The kids we have got that haven't panned out, have complicated the situation tremendously.

Imagine if we had Kevin Huerter for next year. The sanctions and lost scholarships, as you have said, really messed with how the staff went after kids. They went strong after their top choices, got Battle, lost Green, and then when the early departures happened, there wasn't the talent on the roster to develop. Being concerned about bringing in players that might not work, and having those kids take up precious scholarships has to be a factor in their thinking. With 13 spots, you can take a total plan b kid, and sit him for 2-3 years. The NCAA got us, despite the FF run. We are hindered severely and on top of that missed on recruits we needed to get. The kids we have got that haven't panned out, have complicated the situation tremendously.

Would have LOVED to land Huerter. The issue was the scholarship limitations, which ended up eventually getting walked back by the NCAA. Had we known we'd get that relief, I'm sure that the coaches would have taken Huerter. Instead, it didn't look like we'd have that extra scholarship, so they tried to talk him into going prep / reclassifying when the kid had other options. No thanks.

Battle was the top priority over Huerter--right or wrong--and we have to now hope that Battle pans out. But Huerter's versatility / shooting would have been a nice asset for this team, let alone his size for the zone.

Great post, BTW.

Huerter might be better than Battle now.

Huerter might be better than Battle now.
Battle had missed a bunch of time in HS due to injuries. He was relatively healthy his senior year, but his foot issues, which seem to be back, were always a concern. The kid is definitely a great player, but the bad luck Cuse is having across the board is amazing. Huerter will definitely be a solid player for probably four years at UMD. Battle has the talent to be a top 15 pick, and I hope he develops that talent for us in the next year or two. Crazy to think how of all years and all positions to have a kid in our backyard, it happened while our scholarship numbers are down, and we had been after another regional/NJ handpicked kid for years. Tough to walk away from years of recruitment, when there is a solid shot at a kid, as we saw with Quade.

All is not lost. Every season there are a couple of late bloomers who can ball. The trick will be to try and identify them relatively early & get on top of them before other high majors jump on the bandwagon. IMHO, we need to find a kid who is smart,athletic, & a gamer & produces on the court even if he is a bit short in ideal length - no pun intended.

Ayala looks good if all works out, but he isn't the only one out there.

All is not lost. Every season there are a couple of late bloomers who can ball. The trick will be to try and identify them relatively early & get on top of them before other high majors jump on the bandwagon. IMHO, we need to find a kid who is smart,athletic, & a gamer & produces on the court even if he is a bit short in ideal length - no pun intended.

Ayala looks good if all works out, but he isn't the only one out there.

I really like the look of Curtis Haywood from Brewster. Francis has a thread about him on the recruiting board. Kid would be a terrific pickup as a 3.

Doesn't sound like we're showing any interest, however.

Not sure how the coaching staff rebounds from this. Especially if we don't land Ayala.

I'm not convinced FH is a PG. His ball handling is weak for the position, he turns it over or makes horrible decisions far too often and he really can't beat a quality defender off the bounce. I think he's more a SG and it's too bad we don't have a legit PG here now or coming any time soon.

Maybe see if Lucas Woodhouse (Stony Brook) is interested in being a grad transfer to SU next season.
This is his 4th year of playing ball. Two at Longwood, two at Stony Brook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom