Are we recruiting any blue chip PGs for 2017? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Are we recruiting any blue chip PGs for 2017?

That's why I don't understand how Brewster Academy currently has a PG and shooter available but we have spent zero time on their campus to evaluate those players. Especially when both would fit a huge need.

Francis, I hope somebody can put in a good word with JB for you. We need YOU on staff.

FWIW we look to be in the lead for Robby Carmody who is a top 10 SG. Problem is he is 2018.
So Kentucky and Duke are on record saying they don't want him?

FWIW we look to be in the lead for Robby Carmody who is a top 10 SG. Problem is he is 2018.
I would like to get this kid @ sg and add Sam Rautins @ the pg. I bet you would have a excellent guard combo. I do know this , you would have one of the best hustling guard combo there is.

That is the whole point. They could play guard but they can not recruit and for sure can't close. I have been keeping hush on saying this for a long time. We put to much stock in these ex player for SU that they can bring in some top talent. The truth is they can't and it is and has prove this. The other is JB, either he has lost his touch or he doesn't put the effort in that he has in the past because he is leaving soon. Point being he spent all that time with the Olympic team when he could have been on Greens door step so Cal Pal would have had less wooing time with Quade. I also say the ex players are not the best guys to work with the new players coming in. I say get rid of some if not all are them and and start fresh and bring in some top recruiters and someone who can work with the bigs and teach them how to play. We have had some bigs over the last few years and they can't get out of their own way. We get hammered on the boards where we should be over powering the opponents. If JB leaves, bring in a real good coach "and there are some real good coaches who would love to take over the coaching job here",and start fresh with a whole new staff and do this and do it right. We need to get a coach that will recruit
anywhere in the states. Look what Arizona has done. With the way we finish last year and with what we had coming back and with all the "ship" we have available for the next two years , we should have 3- 4 players locked up. I know I am going to get beat down with this big time but oh well, just the way I feel. jmo

I don't understand all the "these assistant coaches can't recruit and can't close talk". Pretty sure Hopkins and Autry have been around plenty long enough and the recruiting has been just fine until this cycle. Was anyone complaining that we couldn't close when we landed McCullough well in advance of his signing window? Was everyone saying we couldn't recruit when we landed that 2015 class that was ranked #8 in the country and will ultimately lead to two 1st round draft picks and was a large component of last year's final four run (despite the NCAA taking away 25% of that class from us with Diagne's ruling)?

Look - the 2017 class has not (and it looks like ultimately will not) go our way. It's going to be a down year. But all in all, this staff lands top 10-20 classes far more often than not, so I think they're doing just fine.

I think the more likely culprit here is that the NCAA sanctions, which we all may have been thinking maybe we were going to evade without too much damage, have finally come home to roost. Less scholarships, Less time with recruits = Less Results. That combined with some defections due to transfers / eligibility issues / early draft entries has left the cupboard bare.

At the end of the day, as these sanctions roll off and we get back up and fully running on the recruiting circuit, I think you will start to see business as usual with the 2018 and 2019 classes.

This thread will be bumped after every game. And it should be.

I don't understand all the "these assistant coaches can't recruit and can't close talk". Pretty sure Hopkins and Autry have been around plenty long enough and the recruiting has been just fine until this cycle. Was anyone complaining that we couldn't close when we landed McCullough well in advance of his signing window? Was everyone saying we couldn't recruit when we landed that 2015 class that was ranked #8 in the country and will ultimately lead to two 1st round draft picks and was a large component of last year's final four run (despite the NCAA taking away 25% of that class from us with Diagne's ruling)?

Look - the 2017 class has not (and it looks like ultimately will not) go our way. It's going to be a down year. But all in all, this staff lands top 10-20 classes far more often than not, so I think they're doing just fine.

I think the more likely culprit here is that the NCAA sanctions, which we all may have been thinking maybe we were going to evade without too much damage, have finally come home to roost. Less scholarships, Less time with recruits = Less Results. That combined with some defections due to transfers / eligibility issues / early draft entries has left the cupboard bare.

At the end of the day, as these sanctions roll off and we get back up and fully running on the recruiting circuit, I think you will start to see business as usual with the 2018 and 2019 classes.
Bottom line recruiting was ok and it was mainly do to Coach JB but without him these guys are not getting it done. They need to clean house and get the best qualified coaches in and get this top basketball program back on its feet. jmo

Bottom line recruiting was ok and it was mainly do to Coach JB but without him these guys are not getting it done. They need to clean house and get the best qualified coaches in and get this top basketball program back on its feet. jmo
JB has hardly recruited over the past few years. Hop hiring somebody that can make a Troy Weaver type of impact will ultimately determine our success on the recruiting grounds in the future.

JB has hardly recruited over the past few years. Hop hiring somebody that can make a Troy Weaver type of impact will ultimately determine our success on the recruiting grounds in the future.
Who would you recommend if you were Hop?

If you think recruiting was just ok and has fallen off recently, I'd really like to know what your realistic expectations are for how well we should be recruiting.

Since 2010, they've had 1 top 5 class, 2 additional top 10 classes, a top 15 class, a top 20 class, and two classes in the 30s. I bet that stacks up pretty favorably with anyone outside of most elite of the elite (Duke, uk, zone). I'll take those results everyday of the week - and the 2 final fours and elite eight that came with them.

Are they having a very poor 2017 class? Absolutely, no arguing that. But I don't think it's a sign of some systemic failure that requires overhauling the entire staff or showing Hopkins the door before he even gets his career started.

They'll bounce back in 2018/2019 just fine.

Hopkins career has been going on as long as he has been with JB so he isn't just starting it. I hope your right about bouncing back but I don't see it. If they didn't pull anything out of this year recruiting I don't see it much better in next year. I don't see this staff doing the job whatsoever. Without JB at the helm and we know he is on his way out these guys will not do it. We need proven coaches and assistants to get us where we need to be. jmo

Not. Even. Close.

The assistant coaches go out and find the players. The head coach gives final thumbs up on if they want them or not.

The amount of initial legwork performed by JB in the past 15 years is almost nil.

It's a system that's worked well for us.

You might be too young to remember the James Thues / Greg Davis class - the last one before JB essentially fired Louie Orr and took Bernie off the road and hired Weaver and promoted Hop.

Not. Even. Close.

The assistant coaches go out and find the players. The head coach gives final thumbs up on if they want them or not.

The amount of initial legwork performed by JB in the past 15 years is almost nil.

You might be too young to remember the James Thues / Greg Davis class - the last one before JB essentially fired Louie Orr and took Bernie off the road and hired Weaver and promoted Hop.
I think it's great we hire all former players as assistants but having an ace recruiter again like Weaver would be really helpful right about now.

Not. Even. Close.

I remember then and I will also remember when next year comes and our recruiting still is a funk and when out team still doesn't play as a team, I will say Jake, do you remember "when" .....

Not. Even. Close.

I'd take James Theus right about now.

image.jpg

If you think recruiting was just ok and has fallen off recently, I'd really like to know what your realistic expectations are for how well we should be recruiting.

Since 2010, they've had 1 top 5 class, 2 additional top 10 classes, a top 15 class, a top 20 class, and two classes in the 30s. I bet that stacks up pretty favorably with anyone outside of most elite of the elite (Duke, uk, zone). I'll take those results everyday of the week - and the 2 final fours and elite eight that came with them.

Are they having a very poor 2017 class? Absolutely, no arguing that. But I don't think it's a sign of some systemic failure that requires overhauling the entire staff or showing Hopkins the door before he even gets his career started.

They'll bounce back in 2018/2019 just fine.
you can't just talk about class rankings in a vacuum without looking at how the classes have panned out. and the bottom line is that at least 1 or 2 of those classes were washouts and that is why were are in the predicament we are in now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom