Army Game Thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game Thread...

JeremyCuse said:
I will always take the Win but a lot of questionable decisions today from the players and coaching staff. Brutal game to watch.

Trap game of sorts.

We came out flat.

Great that we escaped with a win but a lot to work on offensively.

I think the coaches and players thought everything was fine after 36 goals through two games. But they are a work in progress.

We're not making it to Final 4 weekend with that offense.

Trap game of sorts.

We came out flat.

Great that we escaped with a win but a lot to work on offensively.

I think the coaches and players thought everything was fine after 36 goals through two games. But they are a work in progress.

We're not making it to Final 4 weekend with that offense.

Were not making it out of the opening round with that offense. One thing that is obvious is that the recruiting misses in 2013 and 2104 are really starting to have an impact. Evans and Westin have been awful and everyone else from that class has either transferred or is buried on the bench. The four middies from the 2014 class who all-redshirted are all buried on the depth chart and have failed to make any sort of an impact at least to this point. Gotta wonder if at some point you have to see what Romano and or Hutchings can do, team desperately needs some scoring punch on the second mid line.

JeremyCuse said:
Agreed on everything, but not sure what Desko can really do to be honest. This team just doesn't have the elite level players like Rice, Staats, and Galasso. Getting Piroli back will help a lot but the third attack spot and midfield are still huge question marks. When Donahue struggles like this SU is going to struggle as the 3 frosh attack simply aren't read to takeover a game at this point. Though the midfield did what they could but Salcido and Lane aren't Galasso and Schoonmaker (when he was on). Getting Barber back there full time will be a help but right now SU really needs another elite scoring option.

I wasn't impressed with Lane today. Evans was a mess.

Army had a much better game plan than SU. We looked liked just a bunch of guys who had never played together.

I really think it will be April before Desko can determine who belongs on the field.

Hopefully Piroli returns soon and settles things.

Army had a much better game plan than SU. We looked liked just a bunch of guys who had never played together.

I really think it will be April before Desko can determine who belongs on the field.

Agreed on all counts. Lane disappeared today, Army had the perfect plan (and gave other teams a blueprint).

Fingers crossed on Piroli

Against Siena, Piroli and Evans were clicking together. Hopefully, Piroli's return will help Evans, and would also get Barber back to his position.

Agreed on all counts. Lane disappeared today, Army had the perfect plan (and gave other teams a blueprint).

Fingers crossed on Piroli

Thats the biggest concern, if Duke, ND, UNC, UVA, JHU etc can replicate this we are in big trouble. Big week of practice today that is shortened with a Friday game at UVA. Think were underdogs now in that game.

I think Lane has definitely taken that next step forward but he belongs on the second mid field line, he got exposed today. On the second line he can remain under the radar and continue to grow his game. Kid is still a redshirt sophmore who is still learning to play on the Div 1 level.

Agreed on Army, they have a really good staff and they were prepared today, with a better offense they probably win. Still gotta give it to the Army goalie, made some great saves, took away at least 3-4 sure goals. SU needed to adjust, to many times the past 6-7 years SU has had a goalie stand on its head against them, its not a coincidence.

Really need Piroli back by UVA, the attack really needs him. If hes still out, id look to maybe move Mariano to attack, we need a jolt there and Barber is not it, he belongs on the first mid line. I would also bump Dejoe to the first line or at least run him there once a quarter. Kid has been great so far this year and should be on the man up team as well, no idea why hes not out there.

This game was a step back for Lane after looking so great last week.

Agreed but not really surprised once he had a few good games teams took notice and game planned for him. He needs to adjust now and keep working with the staff. Getting him back on the second mid line will help a lot. Kid can play a huge roll this year but bumping up to the first mid line so soon was to much to quickly.

Piroli's injury is a big factor. But I can't recall many years where we really weren't sure who was playing first and second attack and midfield. We've seen a number of kids out there -- and by kids, I mean kids: Solomon, Thorpe, etc. Desko clearly isn't sure what to do yet.

It would be nice if we could get out of Virginia with a win and then beat St. John's before the schedule gets nasty.

Two other quick thoughts.

I know Desko is still trying to find the right combination of players and is mixing and matching a lot but up 2 with 1o minutes left in the 4th quarter is not the time to run a mix mid line from the 2nd and 3rd lines and Solomon at attack. A total wasted possession where SU was stagnant and ultimately turned it over. Starters need to be in that point or at least a mix of starers.

Second this could be a blessing in disguise for the staff. Gives them a game where a lot was exposed but SU still won to try and make some adjustments. UVA game being on Friday hurts as it takes away another day of practice but at least they now know what issues we are looking at going into that game.

Piroli's injury is a big factor. But I can't recall many years where we really weren't sure who was playing first and second attack and midfield. We've seen a number of kids out there -- and by kids, I mean kids: Solomon, Thorpe, etc. Desko clearly isn't sure what to do yet.

It would be nice if we could get out of Virginia with a win and then beat St. John's before the schedule gets nasty.

I think the frosh Attackmen were getting a run because Evans and Barber were so ineffective he was desperate to try and get a spark at attack, unfortunately out of the five of them no one really stood out. I would have liked to have seen a little more run for Thorpe.

Also keep in mind that Maltz, Dejohn, and Forkin were all expected to slide into key rolls this year, all three have transferred forcing SU to dip into the frosh attack guys earlier then they probably wanted to. This issue has been compounded by Evan's continued struggles and Barber being mostly ineffective at attack. Its clear why SU took in Rehfuss the former NY attackmen from Holy Cross on a transfer Friday, they need more fresh blood/depth at the position.

He and Firman have looked great this year, both very under appreciated.
What won the game, IMO, were the back-to-back gritty ground balls off the FO scrums by Firman & then Grimm in the 4th...I believe they led to our 8th & 9th goals. Firman's was especially impressive, as he endured quite a beating. The wing play has been much improved from last year.

Loved Fusco taking the body, textbook 2-on-1 GB.

Mellen had a VERY impressive play where he saved the ball just before it hit our end-line by swatting it with his stick to McDermott to start a clear. The hockey background with both him & Firman shines through quite a bit.

To me, Lane needs to be more aggressive with his size. It seems like he's too willing to defer to teammates. There were a few occasions where I thought he could either back the defender in or simply lower his shoulder & take another stride or 2. I'd love to see him "bull dodge" more but I'm sure it will come with time.

Just pathetic offense. Give Donahue the benefit of the doubt. He must have had the flu because he was MIA.

Last edited:
I really like that we play Army early in the season. No one will out tough the academies. It's a good way for our guys to grow up.

I think Lane has definitely taken that next step forward but he belongs on the second mid field line, he got exposed today. On the second line he can remain under the radar and continue to grow his game. Kid is still a redshirt sophmore who is still learning to play on the Div 1 level.

Agreed on Army, they have a really good staff and they were prepared today, with a better offense they probably win. Still gotta give it to the Army goalie, made some great saves, took away at least 3-4 sure goals. SU needed to adjust, to many times the past 6-7 years SU has had a goalie stand on its head against them, its not a coincidence.

Really need Piroli back by UVA, the attack really needs him. If hes still out, id look to maybe move Mariano to attack, we need a jolt there and Barber is not it, he belongs on the first mid line. I would also bump Dejoe to the first line or at least run him there once a quarter. Kid has been great so far this year and should be on the man up team as well, no idea why hes not out there.

Missed the game as I was flying to Europe but I really like the suggestion of dropping Lane back to second mid and bumping DeJoe up and sliding Barber to the first mid line. I think the combo of Donahue, Peroli/Marinaro on attack makes the most sense and gives the best chance of sparking some goals. I'm concerned that teams will face Donahue all year and largely take him out of the game where his role becomes principally a feeder not a first option goal scorer. We are going to have to be able to overcome that. I think Desko will continue to mix and match each game in the hope of finding some consistency in our scoring week to week. I'm of the mind that we need to pick two of the young uns and stick with them rather than engaging in the ever changing rotation. I would put my chips on Shewel and Thorpe right now. Guys have to be able to play together to develop chemistry.

Missed the game as I was flying to Europe but I really like the suggestion of dropping Lane back to second mid and bumping DeJoe up and sliding Barber to the first mid line. I think the combo of Donahue, Peroli/Marinaro on attack makes the most sense and gives the best chance of sparking some goals. I'm concerned that teams will face Donahue all year and largely take him out of the game where his role becomes principally a feeder not a first option goal scorer. We are going to have to be able to overcome that. I think Desko will continue to mix and match each game in the hope of finding some consistency in our scoring week to week. I'm of the mind that we need to pick two of the young uns and stick with them rather than engaging in the ever changing rotation. I would put my chips on Shewel and Thorpe right now. Guys have to be able to play together to develop chemistry.

So is Evans benched in your rotation or is he moved to midfield?

I will always take the Win but a lot of questionable decisions today from the players and coaching staff. Brutal game to watch.
The last play with Barber holding the ball while getting double teamed left me scratching my head

The last play with Barber holding the ball while getting double teamed left me scratching my head

They pulled the goalie of course but Desko should have called another timeout or drawn up something to have someone spring free for a pass. I don't care if you have Usain Bolt out there eventually your going to get caught by that double team and 90% of the time your going to turn the ball over. Also surprised he had Barber as the guy to start when Salcido is easily the fastest guy on the team or at least in the top 2. Needed a much better game plan there at the end, that was turned over way to easy.

They pulled the goalie of course but Desko should have called another timeout or drawn up something to have someone spring free for a pass. I don't care if you have Usain Bolt out there eventually your going to get caught by that double team and 90% of the time your going to turn the ball over. Also surprised he had Barber as the guy to start when Salcido is easily the fastest guy on the team or at least in the top 2. Needed a much better game plan there at the end, that was turned over way to easy.

Here is my opinion of what the play call should have been from Desko...Tim- you run around and try to burn as much time as you can. When you are cornered in the double... I will call another time out. The next possession we will pass it around up top and kill the remaining clock.

I agree that Salcido would have also been a good option.

Here is my opinion of what the play call should have been from Desko...Tim- you run around and try to burn as much time as you can. When you are cornered in the double... I will call another time out. The next possession we will pass it around up top and kill the remaining clock.

I agree that Salcido would have also been a good option.

Agreed either that or as soon as he split the double he should have shot at the goal as it was wide open, if your ultimately gonna turn it over anyway might as well take a shot at it.

The Fusco hit and break goal by Evans was a true Syracuse goal. It was also a great finish by Evans on a Very good Goalie (I saw him play for Balt in the UA Underclass Tourney) that looks easy but is much harder charging down on a goalie all alone and Evans stuck the bottom corner, it's harder than it looks and anyone that has played the game knows!

I also thought Evans created very well for the Barber goal drawing the double and getting the hockey assist!

I've been pleased with 22s play he has hustled got goals and assists in all games!

I also think Weston has been unlucky in the first few games he's not hitting his shots and has hit pipes but think he'll work his way back into the top line later in the year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom