Article on WVU and the ACC... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Article on WVU and the ACC...

I think he is right as to its likeliness, but it's unreasonable in that it makes no sense. "Right" means:

- less $
- less of a chance at the playoffs
- less games

- more freedom in scheduling 3 additional "OOC" than other P5 teams
- the independent conference championship game, oh wait
- a national footprint in the days when it doesn't matter as much

Not worth litigating again, honestly. Just a crazy stance.

The bolded items are more important to ND than the most or more TV money. ND will take its chances on the playoffs as an independent.

If the most or more TV money was the prime motivation, ND would have just joined the Big Ten, not the ACC as a partial member.

Last edited:
The bolded items are more important to ND than the most or more TV money. ND will take its chances on the playoffs as an independent.
We'll see how those 'chances' are taken when/if there are a couple noticeable omissions from the CFP. If ND is happier playing its 3 OOC games than having a chance to play for the NC, then fine. More power to them. But history changes, and so does tradition. Especially as the fan base ages. How happy are the now-young fans going to be when ND doesn't have a direct line to the playoff?

We'll see how those 'chances' are taken when/if there are a couple noticeable omissions from the CFP. If ND is happier playing its 3 OOC games than having a chance to play for the NC, then fine. More power to them. But history changes, and so does tradition. Especially as the fan base ages. How happy are the now-young fans going to be when ND doesn't have a direct line to the playoff?

Did you miss my original post about if there is a mandated "champs only" playoff, ND football will join a conference?

We are talking about "more difficult line" not "no direct line".

Did you miss my original post about if there is a mandated "champs only" playoff, ND football will join a conference?

We are talking about "more difficult line" not "no direct line".
I didn't miss it. If you want to believe ND has a direct line to the playoff, fine. Or if you want to call having to go undefeated, or 11-1, with a loss to a highly-ranked team early in the season a direct line, have at it. I'll take my chances winning the CG of a P5 conference. We'll see who makes it and who doesn't.

TerryD said:
The bolded items are more important to ND than the most or more TV money. ND will take its chances on the playoffs as an independent. If the most or more TV money was the prime motivation, ND would have just joined the Big Ten, not the ACC as a partial member.

Yeah, I hear you and respect you - but that position doesn't make sense. I think they are holding onto something that just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I hear you and respect you - but that position doesn't make sense. I think they are holding onto something that just doesn't make sense.

I understand that other schools' fans don't understand.

But, this is not something new. Every move that ND has made since 1991, the NBC deal, the Big East move, the ACC move, was all based upon the goal of keeping ND football out of a conference.

TerryD said:
I understand that other schools' fans don't understand. But, this is not something new. Every move that ND has made since 1991, the NBC deal, the Big East move, the ACC move, was all based upon the goal of keeping ND football out of a conference.

Made more sense when the money made more sense. Times change. The reasons for independence are less important.

No need to re-litigate - I won't get it.

Id expect the CFP to expand before ND ever considers giving up it's independence so the point is moot.

depends how they expand the CFP. If they go to 8 with 5 spots going to the P5 Champions, they might be inclined to join since they have no shot at 5 of those spots.

depends how they expand the CFP. If they go to 8 with 5 spots going to the P5 Champions, they might be inclined to join since they have no shot at 5 of those spots.

That is not what Jack Swarbrick recently said.

Three at-large spots gives ND a lot more margin for error than they have with he current format. And given how fiercely they hold on to independence (o hi Terry) that may be good enough.

docsu said:
Three at-large spots gives ND a lot more margin for error than they have with he current format. And given how fiercely they hold on to independence (o hi Terry) that may be good enough.

Semi-independent, when they claim independence, just point to NC state on their future schedule.

Semi-independent, when they claim independence, just point to NC state on their future schedule.

So, when Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue were on ND's schedules every year, was ND a Big Ten member instead of an independent?

"Semi" beats "not-at-all" independent from ND's point of view.

It is not me that holds on to independence so fiercely, it is the administration, boosters, alumni, ex-players...almost everyone associated with ND.

So, when Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue were on ND's schedules every year, was ND a Big Ten member instead of an independent?

"Semi" beats "not-at-all" independent from ND's point of view.

It is not me that holds on to independence so fiercely, it is the administration, boosters, alumni, ex-players...almost everyone associated with ND.
Would it be safe that a couple reasons that Notre Dame doesn't want to join a conference for football are pride and greed? Two out of seven aint bad for a catholic university.

Would it be safe that a couple reasons that Notre Dame doesn't want to join a conference for football are pride and greed? Two out of seven aint bad for a catholic university.

Not greed. ND could make lots more TV money in the Big Ten but declines. So, being an independent actually costs ND millions of TV dollars.

Pride is a good thing. The Marine Corps teaches pride. Should be scrap it for being evil?

Not greed. ND could make lots more TV money in the Big Ten but declines. So, being an independent actually costs ND millions of TV dollars.

Pride is a good thing. The Marine Corps teaches pride. Should be scrap it for being evil?
No, we need those guys to be evil to a certain extent. This is all business, that's all. I agree about pride, it is what drives excellence, however it is not the Catholic way, it is a deadly sin afterall.

M-W's first definition of "pride" is "inordinate self esteem".

OUT: BC , ND , WF , NCSU . IN: Texas , OU , KU , WVU ,UCONN

Whenever someone says this, I always feel compelled to remind them, "Sometimes the box is there for a reason."
Other having fun than making snarky comments at CousCuse's expense , what's wrong with taking the best brand's form the BIGXII and losing teams that bring no value and prolly won't be in the final P4 reshuffle. Those schools almost went to the Pacific conference , why can't they come to the Atlantic conference?

Other having fun than making snarky comments at CousCuse's expense , what's wrong with taking the best brand's form the BIGXII and losing teams that bring no value and prolly won't be in the final P4 reshuffle. Those schools almost went to the Pacific conference , why can't they come to the Atlantic conference?
Because it's very possible Cuse could be left out :(