As the Stanford starter comes | Syracusefan.com

As the Stanford starter comes

Doug Whaley, the Buffalo Bills GM, was criticized for making the statement that the human body wasn't made for playing football. So, why do guys play it without even a remote chance of getting millions dollar paydays?

Doug Whaley, the Buffalo Bills GM, was criticized for making the statement that the human body wasn't made for playing football. So, why do guys play it without even a remote chance of getting millions dollar paydays?
"football eats its young" said by a local columnist...

So, I guess they should boycott the whole season since they might get injured.

Well technically Stanford lost it's second game on Oct 8th and was let's be honest "eliminated from the playoff" at that point. The kid shouldn't have played another game from Oct 9th on. I mean why risk it right?

Honestly these kids are soft and if I am an NFL GM the first question I ask one of these kids who sat out a bowl game at the combine is ..."if we have a down year and are 3-8 going into the final month of the season are you going to play or bail on your team and sit out because you don't want to risk injury?"

Watch the kid squirm while he answers then just say once he does give you some dumb answer...yeah that's why I don't think you have what it takes to play for our franchise. Nice talking to you, next!

back to the bench in crutches, it makes McCaffrey look even smarter.
These guys should all boycott these games without some insurance or financial remuneration.
A lot of players have insurance. I'm sure that McCaffrey could have gotten insurnace if he wanted it.

You willing to write the check to make up the difference between what McCaffrey gets paid when he's hurt vs unhurt vis a vis draft position?
Well, like Stern said, after their second loss, the season was technically "meaningless" so what's the difference between playing a regular season game (in which you have no chance at a National Championship) and a bowl game (in which you have no chance at a National Championship).

This is football. People get hurt. Might happen first game of the year, mid season, against a rival, against a bottom feeder or in a bowl game.

Your chances of injury don't increase because it's a bowl game.

*I honestly do get why they sit out but why don't Fournette and McCaffrey sit out the season once eliminated from what they deem "meaningful". Why not sit out the last regular season game too? Or the last two regular season games?? Maybe the last 3 if the team has no chance.

What if they get injured in the 4th Quarter of their second to last game when they have no shot at the Playoff?... Should've sat and not risked it..

Well, like Stern said, after their second loss, the season was technically "meaningless" so what's the difference between playing a regular season game (in which you have no chance at a National Championship) and a bowl game (in which you have no chance at a National Championship).

This is football. People get hurt. Might happen first game of the year, mid season, against a rival, against a bottom feeder or in a bowl game.

*I honestly do get why they sit out but why don't Fournette and McCaffrey sit out the season once eliminated from what they deem "meaningful". Why not sit out the last regular season game too? Or the last two regular season games?? Maybe the last 3 if the team has no chance.

What if they get injured in the 4th Quarter of their second to last game when they have no shot at the Playoff?... Should've sat and not risked it..
Because it's their life, their asses, and their paychecks on the line. Excoriating the kid for being smart enough to know exactly what his business situation is, as far as I'm concerned, a bit unseemly. CFB stopped being an "amateur sport" a long time ago.

Because it's their life, their asses, and their paychecks on the line. Excoriating the kid for being smart enough to know exactly what his business situation is, as far as I'm concerned, a bit unseemly. CFB stopped being an "amateur sport" a long time ago.
I played ball in college 77 to 81. Got paid to do bs jobs. My daughter plays college lacrosse today. It hasnt changed all that much. If anything its tighter on the kids today. Not playing creates a slippery slope on so many levels. It will only touch a handful of kids each year but is a situation that needs to be addressed. Since your son has an opportunity to play for pay down the road what are your thoughts on an equitable solution for the player and the school?

Well technically Stanford lost it's second game on Oct 8th and was let's be honest "eliminated from the playoff" at that point. The kid shouldn't have played another game from Oct 9th on. I mean why risk it right?

Honestly these kids are soft and if I am an NFL GM the first question I ask one of these kids who sat out a bowl game at the combine is ..."if we have a down year and are 3-8 going into the final month of the season are you going to play or bail on your team and sit out because you don't want to risk injury?"

Watch the kid squirm while he answers then just say once he does give you some dumb answer...yeah that's why I don't think you have what it takes to play for our franchise. Nice talking to you, next!

"In college, sir, I didn't get paid. There was a decreased value in playing in a meaningless exhibition game vs making sure I was ready to give it my all for your organization. Surely, as an employee whose job it is to measure value and balance risk here - you understand this business reality better than anyone else."

So, just for the record, it's only ok to sit out the bowl game?... or can players sit out any game they deem the injury risk outweighs the need to play?

As long as the gap in pay between college and the pros remains what it is, this question will come up.

If Disney/Pixar had showed up on campus and offered me 4 million dollars to work for them? I'd be gone in a heartbeat. And the school would be touting it to potential students the next day.

The only thing that complicates things is that football is a team sport.

So, just for the record, it's only ok to sit out the bowl game?... or can players sit out any game they deem the injury risk outweighs the need to play?

That's always been the case.

I played ball in college 77 to 81. Got paid to do bs jobs. My daughter plays college lacrosse today. It hasnt changed all that much. If anything its tighter on the kids today. Not playing creates a slippery slope on so many levels. It will only touch a handful of kids each year but is a situation that needs to be addressed. Since your son has an opportunity to play for pay down the road what are your thoughts on an equitable solution for the player and the school?
Well, first, I'm not quite sure that Steven is NFL material as a DL. In my opinion, based on his body of work so far at the NT position, best he can probably hope for is a late round slot or undrafted free agency. Assuming that he ends up with a killer junior year, and the talk being that he's roughly a 3rd - 5th round pick, I'd probably advise him to give it a shot, take the paycheck, play the 2-3 years he'd probably last, live CHEAPLY, then go back and finish his undergrad and graduate degree.

As far as an equitable solution for the player and the school; the way things are now is probably the best it's going to get. Forcing a kid to play all four years, or in a bowl game, is, as far as I'm concerned, akin to enlisting in the military, or indentured servitude. Neither would be appealing. Kids should be free to take a shot at the NFL and succeed (or fail), and the schools ( at least the P5s) are going to get a check from whatever bowl, regardless of whether the star player is there.

Well, first, I'm not quite sure that Steven is NFL material as a DL. In my opinion, based on his body of work so far at the NT position, best he can probably hope for is a late round slot or undrafted free agency. Assuming that he ends up with a killer junior year, and the talk being that he's roughly a 3rd - 5th round pick, I'd probably advise him to give it a shot, take the paycheck, play the 2-3 years he'd probably last, live CHEAPLY, then go back and finish his undergrad and graduate degree.

As far as an equitable solution for the player and the school; the way things are now is probably the best it's going to get. Forcing a kid to play all four years, or in a bowl game, is, as far as I'm concerned, akin to enlisting in the military, or indentured servitude. Neither would be appealing. Kids should be free to take a shot at the NFL and succeed (or fail), and the schools ( at least the P5s) are going to get a check from whatever bowl, regardless of whether the star player is there.
Thank you. Its complicated for sure. Hope you and your family are doing well. Its nice to have your insight shared here.

Sure, they can sit out whatever game they want. And, truthfully, they can do that now. Doesn't mean that there aren't repercussions (e.g. loss of scholarship, suspension).

Thank you. Its complicated for sure. Hope you and your family are doing well. Its nice to have your insight shared here.
No problem. Hope I'm not coming off as a colossal douche. That's not my intention.

Are these assumptions still valid in college football?
  • The bowl games are rewards for a good season.
  • The players are excited to play during the holidays.
  • Football is a fun game to play.
If not, then why bother with bowl games (other than $)?

"In college, sir, I didn't get paid. There was a decreased value in playing in a meaningless exhibition game vs making sure I was ready to give it my all for your organization. Surely, as an employee whose job it is to measure value and balance risk here - you understand this business reality better than anyone else."

You got a free education at a big college institution that most kids your age can't afford or takes them a lifetime to pay off, that was a form of getting paid. In the NFL when we are 3-8 the games you will be playing in are "meaningless exhibitions" because we won't be going to the playoffs those years. So really not sure what makes you "tick" and I can't risk my job or my head coaches job on you because you seem to have no rhyme or reason on when you "want" to play.

Then I would say BYE FELICIA and throw his butt out the door.

This is a business decision for the kid. End of story. You, me and the school will do nothing for the kid if he gets hurt and can't play at the next level. We are talking about life changing money. I won't second guess any kid that looks out for their future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom