As the Stanford starter comes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

As the Stanford starter comes

Michigan TE Jake Butt will likely slip out of the 1st round after tearing his ACL in the meaningless (except to the fans, of course) Orange Bowl.

But hey, at least he's no wimp!!

Why play any games then, he should've declared after his junior year.

Once a kid declares for the draft, the schollie is gone (at the end of the semester).

Not give them access to facilities? That's not a problem, but you can forget about ANYONE signing with the program. Best you'll get to sign on NLI day are scrubs from the D3 program down the road.

If you quit the team youre out. Pretty simple.

Therein lies the problem. Is the Orange Bowl truly meaningless in a non playoff year?

If enough people believe that, the bowl system will fail. And that will be a sad day.

Louisville - LSU in the Citrus Bowl and there wasn't a human in the upper deck. That game was a consistent New Year's Day sellout.

Bowl games have always been meaningless unless you were playing for the mythical national championship.

If you're a top pick and your team has lost 2 games by mid October do you just hang it up then?

Bowl games have always been meaningless unless you were playing for the mythical national championship.

If you're a top pick and your team has lost 2 games by mid October do you just hang it up then?
If you are a kid with nothing, and your folks have nothing, and your choice is playing in a bowl game and risk getting hurt or sitting out and setting yourself up and your folks, for the rest of your life, do you think it is a tough choice?

If you are a kid with nothing, and your folks have nothing, and your choice is playing in a bowl game and risk getting hurt or sitting out and setting yourself up and your folks, for the rest of your life, do you think it is a tough choice?

That's fine that's their choice t and it's probably a great choice for them.

The flip side is its the coaches livelihood to win football games. Assistants to and support staff.

So when does this choice to quit the team start moving back to November and even October?

That's fine that's their choice t and it's probably a great choice for them.

The flip side is its the coaches livelihood to win football games. Assistants to and support staff.

So when does this choice to quit the team start moving back to November and even October?
Don't know, don't care. I will still watch. I'm not going to second guess a kid making the best decision for himself and his family.

If you quit the team youre out. Pretty simple.
Okay. And when we're trying to sign that star player, he'll go to a school where he can use the facilities when prepping for the combine. If you're okay with that, then fine. You get what you ask for, even when you don't know what you're asking for.

Nope, pretty easy choice.

If I'm the school I pull their scholarships. They can go live off campus somewhere else, pay their own rent, buy their own food and train at the Y.

I wouldn't give them access to any of the school facilities, trainers or weight rooms or scout workouts.

By opting out of the game, you in my opinion, have quit the team. You don't get to stay on scholarship and use the facilities.
Yeah that'll go over real well. What major recruits would want to go to that school? If LSU did that to Fournette you think a top running back recruit would consider going there? I mean that guy ran his heart out for that school for 3 seasons and the school just cuts ties with him for sitting out a bowl game?

Typically schools like to maintain good relationships with their stars. On NFL broadcasts they like it when their name is anounced as the college for players. They also like donations. When Fournette goes on to have a great career and make millions and millions of dollars what's that phone call gonna be like? "Gee Leonard, we're really really sorry we left you out to dry at a critical time in your life. But how bout donating a million so we can build a new weight room!!"

We'll see how well it goes over when all the best kids start opting out of bowls and then start pushing the opt out to when they're no longer in playoff contention or no longer in bowl contention.

What was the incentive for AT to play for Syracuse in November, or Delvin Cook for that matter?

You opt out and youve quit on your team.

Don't know, don't care. I will still watch. I'm not going to second guess a kid making the best decision for himself and his family.

nobody said anything about their decision.

My topic was the schools should pull their scholarship for quitting the team.

Well technically Stanford lost it's second game on Oct 8th and was let's be honest "eliminated from the playoff" at that point. The kid shouldn't have played another game from Oct 9th on. I mean why risk it right?

Honestly these kids are soft and if I am an NFL GM the first question I ask one of these kids who sat out a bowl game at the combine is ..."if we have a down year and are 3-8 going into the final month of the season are you going to play or bail on your team and sit out because you don't want to risk injury?"

Watch the kid squirm while he answers then just say once he does give you some dumb answer...yeah that's why I don't think you have what it takes to play for our franchise. Nice talking to you, next!
He's probably going to say "you keep writing checks, I'll keep suiting up".

The schools would get drilled by the media and in the court of public opinion. The worm is turning on this issue and the schools and "adults" running this world better start paying attention to that fact.

We'll see how well it goes over when all the best kids start opting out of bowls and then start pushing the opt out to when they're no longer in playoff contention or no longer in bowl contention.

What was the incentive for AT to play for Syracuse in November, or Delvin Cook for that matter?

You opt out and youve quit on your team.
Here's the thing; you think that CFB is an amateur sport. It isn't. For all intent and purpose, for whatever reasons (and those reasons no longer matter), CFB is professional. Like the minor leagues in baseball.

Would you like to recruit against a school that did that? I sure would.

Depends who the school is.

I'll bet it has no bearing anyways. Coaches will spin it and some kid isn't going to think, oh no if I opt out in 4 years they'll pull my scholie.

I have a hard time believing schools or coaches are going to just lay down and let this happen.

I'll bet it has no bearing anyways. Coaches will spin it and some kid isn't going to think, oh no if I opt out in 4 years they'll pull my scholie.

I have a hard time believing schools or coaches are going to just lay down and let this happen.
Well, the kid can just say he is too sick to play. Those schools and those coaches have taken advantage of kids for years and years. The kids have finally figured out that they have some power. Good for them.

Already said this, but will say it again; once a kid says he's declaring his intent to enter the draft and will not play in "the bowl" game, the scholarship is gone. It's an NCAA eligibility thing. Concerning barring the kid from the facilities; sure, a school can do that. They'll also quite likely catch a ration of sht. Then it WILL have "bearing". That kind of stink doesn't go away quickly.\

Finally, you still seemly don't get it; CFB isn't an amateur sport. It's big business. For the NCAA, the schools, AND the players.

Michigan TE Jake Butt will likely slip out of the 1st round after tearing his ACL in the meaningless (except to the fans, of course) Orange Bowl.

But hey, at least he's no wimp!!

For 90% of the kids drafted they haven't played in a meaningful game since mid-September or late September. By that logic all seniors or juniors going pro should sit out all of October/Nov/December games. I mean why risk getting hurt?

The whole argument is silly. If you are such a pansy you feel the need to sit out games in college, odds are you will be a pansy in the pros and want to sit out games there too when you deem the game "meaningless".

Yet when an NFL player holds out of training camp for your favorite team (or when players in any sport go on strike) you are probably stomping and crying like a child saying he is a greedy no good blah blah blah. Hypocrites I say...such hypocrites!

He's probably going to say "you keep writing checks, I'll keep suiting up".

He was getting paid in college and he didn't suit up. Think those books, food, room, and education was free? When he signed the scholarship he signed a contract. So if he voided one contract by not playing what makes you think he won't void another?

Already said this, but will say it again; once a kid says he's declaring his intent to enter the draft and will not play in "the bowl" game, the scholarship is gone. It's an NCAA eligibility thing. Concerning barring the kid from the facilities; sure, a school can do that. They'll also quite likely catch a ration of sht. Then it WILL have "bearing". That kind of stink doesn't go away quickly.\

Finally, you still seemly don't get it; CFB isn't an amateur sport. It's big business. For the NCAA, the schools, AND the players.
A. Nothing to do with eligibility.
B. The kid won't be in the school the next semester anyway, so not a issue.
C. It's a contract, so they can't just revoke it unilaterally, but for the prevously authorized reasons.

Yet when an NFL player holds out of training camp for your favorite team (or when players in any sport go on strike) you are probably stomping and crying like a child saying he is a greedy no good blah blah blah. Hypocrites I say...such hypocrites!
Actually, I don't.

If you're skipping bowl games due to a first round grade, you're not worried about a scholarship. Your agent will help with all that.

He was getting paid in college and he didn't suit up. Think those books, food, room, and education was free? When he signed the scholarship he signed a contract. So if he voided one contract by not playing what makes you think he won't void another?

Bazillion dollars >>>>> books and room and board

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom