Assistant Coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coaches

Did you happen to see the jump Fab Melo made in one year. Please with the "Hopkins can't coach big men" crap. Think before posting.

Bernie was still on the staff.

2011-06-01-fabcourt-embjpg-65c1ddfded02c84c.jpg
Umm, I don't think so.

He was.

Thomas Bryant too?
Yeah missed out on Thomas Bryant and then went to a Final Four. Yeah someone should've been fired for that too!

I'll bet the sanctions played a bigger role in that one than did anyone on our staff.

Last edited:
Yeah missed out on Thomas Bryant and then went to a Final Four. Yeah someone should've been fired for that too!

I'll bet the sanctions played a bigger role in that one than did anyone on our staff.

You said we've missed out on one guy and all I do is name a name and you go on that rant?

You said we've missed out on one guy and all I do is name a name and you go on that rant?
Then what were you implying by listing one of the many targets we've missed on over the years?

Then what were you implying by listing one of the many targets we've missed on over the years?

Because you said we've only missed on one guy we've gone all in on, you forgot about Thomas Bryant which was very recent.

Because you said we've only missed on one guy we've gone all in on, you forgot about Thomas Bryant which was very recent.
Yes, but my assumption is the original poster was referring to the most recent. I'd hope we all have gotten over Bryant by now.

People freak out about the Quade miss.
1) he is a good player but won't lead a team to a championship by himself
2) we have an improved Frank Howard who was here all summer and has a great work ethic
3) Frank will come back next year and I think he will be a double-double machine

If the season were to end today we have this coming next year...that's a solid team and through in a couple more solid recruits we will get...that's a good team. Enjoy this season.
Frank
Tyus
Lydon
Moyer
Thompson
Paschal
Sidibe
Brissett

We need to shake up this staff, not calling names. We need a change after some huge recruiting misses this year.

Instead of all the talk about everyone we've missed in the 2017 class, why don't we don't we focus on the guys we've signed and the guys our staff are still targeting. Brissett is going to be a really good player for us and Bourama is going to develop thanks to our very capable big man coach. We've had a lot of success with classes that featured under the radar recruits. Andy Rautins was the 232nd ranked shooting guard in 2005. He was a starter on a team ranked #1. Brandon Triche was not in top 60 at his position and was a four year starter who went to the Final Four. Paul Harris was supposed to be the next Carmelo. He couldn't make a layup or complete an inbound. There is no science to this thing. Let's not fire anyone because of a class that isn't finished and hasn't yet played a single game in Orange. Maybe we have a good class and don't even know it. Maybe the next piece we add is the missing puzzle piece we need. Maybe we lost Hodge and end up with Warrick. Let's all just calm down and let it play out. It's a great time to be a cuse fan. Slow down and enjoy it.

I haven't gotten over Sam Perkins yet.
Haha! He's been retired from basketball for like 15 years. You might want to seek some help for that?!! LOL

What. We'll be alright.
Maybe the OP's belief is that 'alright' means we're moving towards mediocrity. :noidea:

But the staff had Diagne backing up Bryant, just didn't work out.

As for the lack of Green backup, I'm hoping this is a calculated move by the staff. Don't go down to C level recruits, instead they are confident in tapping the 5th year market for '17.

Then you try again for a top recruit in '18 with the lure of plenty of minutes.

Maybe the OP's belief is that 'alright' means we're moving towards mediocrity. :noidea:

We've been to two final fours in four years. One recruit isn't making us or breaking us. Especially when he'd likely be a backup PG next year anyway.

I don't know a lot about basketball however imo center in the zone gives a chance for non scoring centers and non nba centers to really showcase.

Where in man to man centers have to follow their man around a good center in our 2-3 zone, a center who can extend, recover baseline, and contest a little bit in the high post like a Keita is a diamond in the rough. when we don't have that teams start knocking midrange jumpers then our guards are forced to guard the perimeter and high post and the entry pass which leaves the kickout open for three more. Cooney and Gbinije had to do the latter and did a awesome job doing so hopeful battle and Howard can learn this.

On top of this then your guards don't have to cheat back as much. Maybe this is a big reason why triche and mcw backcourt was so dominant defensively with Rak and Keita behind them. This is why chuckwu isn't playing. Even if he sits back just outside the circle, you can't risk giving up that momentum of the high post opening up kickbacks and high low passing. A center in man to man doesn't have those responsibilities to be such a difference maker on the court, and this is where a 2-3 zone center like Keita can really show his stuff and look like a star and a slower 7'1 guy a dud.

Mediocre Defensive centers that move well can really showcase their selves in the zone, where good defensive blockers like Chuckwu who don't move well have a tough time. Getting a offensive center with a good mobile defensive center year in and out is a tough challenge, but imo Keita is the prototypical model of what I love at defensive center.

I don't know a lot about basketball however imo center in the zone gives a chance for non scoring centers and non nba centers to really showcase.

Where in man to man centers have to follow their man around a good center in our 2-3 zone, a center who can extend, recover baseline, and contest a little bit in the high post like a Keita is a diamond in the rough. when we don't have that teams start knocking midrange jumpers then our guards are forced to guard the perimeter and high post and the entry pass which leaves the kickout open for three more. Cooney and Gbinije had to do the latter and did a awesome job doing so hopeful battle and Howard can learn this.

On top of this then your guards don't have to cheat back as much. Maybe this is a big reason why triche and mcw backcourt was so dominant defensively with Rak and Keita behind them. This is why chuckwu isn't playing. Even if he sits back just outside the circle, you can't risk giving up that momentum of the high post opening up kickbacks and high low passing. A center in man to man doesn't have those responsibilities to be such a difference maker on the court, and this is where a 2-3 zone center like Keita can really show his stuff and look like a star and a slower 7'1 guy a dud.

Mediocre Defensive centers that move well can really showcase their selves in the zone, where good defensive blockers like Chuckwu who don't move well have a tough time. Getting a offensive center with a good mobile defensive center year in and out is a tough challenge, but imo Keita is the prototypical model of what I love at defensive center.
Craig Forth agrees with you!

We've been to two final fours in four years. One recruit isn't making us or breaking us. Especially when he'd likely be a backup PG next year anyway.

Start for UK but sit at SU. That's an issue within itself. If we never promised him a starting job then whomever recruited him should be fired.

The thought of that kid actually sitting behind anyone on this team next year is laughable. The sad part is, it probably would have happened.

i'm not sold that it is a good idea to staff your program solely with ex syracuse players . does any other program do that ? did rick pitino play here ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom