Assuming we have 0 scholarship reductions for 2015-2016 | Syracusefan.com

Assuming we have 0 scholarship reductions for 2015-2016

Alsacs

Living Legend
I don't follow recruiting.

Freshman: Malachi Richardson, Moustapha Diagne, Tyler Lydon, Franklin Howard
Sophomore: Chris McCollough, Kaleb Joseph
Junior: Tyler Roberson, Ron Patterson, B.J. Johnson, Chino Obokoh, Dejuan Coleman
Senior: Trevor Cooney, Michael Gbinije

Thus how are we in contention for Thomas Bryant if Chris McCollough isn't one and done?

You think there is any chance that Chris is back after his garden performance? Its always been his plan to be 1 and done consider Thursday and Friday his confirmation.

Edit: That has been talked about a lot on the recruiting side as well as other ways that a spot could possibly free itself up.

I like McCollough but the kid doesn't ooze 1 and done. He reminds me of Perry Jones from Baylor who stayed two years. Jones was higher rated than McCollough as well.

I like McCollough but the kid doesn't ooze 1 and done. He reminds me of Perry Jones from Baylor who stayed two years. Jones was higher rated than McCollough as well.

He has everything the NBA is looking for in a young player. Great measurable, runs like a deer, good frame, quick reaction time and he can score in a bazillion ways to go with his very nice looking stroke. 30lbs and 2 years from now he will be making hay as a legit PF in the NBA which is pretty much a position that more than half the teams could use an upgrade at.

You think there is any chance that Chris is back after his garden performance? Its always been his plan to be 1 and done consider Thursday and Friday his confirmation.

Edit: That has been talked about a lot on the recruiting side as well as other ways that a spot could possibly free itself up.

We'll let the fans decide who gets voted off the island. ;)

He has everything the NBA is looking for in a young player. Great measurable, runs like a deer, good frame, quick reaction time and he can score in a bazillion ways to go with his very nice looking stroke. 30lbs and 2 years from now he will be making hay as a legit PF in the NBA which is pretty much a position that more than half the teams could use an upgrade at.
Chad Ford has McCollough #21 overall.

Player Evaluations By Chad Ford

Overall Rank21
Position Rank6
Hollinger PER27.34
ProjectionMid-First Round Pick
Positives
  • Long, athletic big man
  • Excellent athlete, explosive leaper
  • Surprisingly quick laterally
  • Runs the floor very well for a big
  • Good shot-blocker and rebounder
  • Has good frame
  • Has the ability to stretch the floor
Negatives
  • Needs to show toughness in the paint
  • Lacks a great motor
  • Needs to continue to add strength

Chad Ford has McCollough #21 overall.

Player Evaluations By Chad Ford

Overall Rank21
Position Rank6
Hollinger PER27.34
ProjectionMid-First Round Pick
Positives
  • Long, athletic big man
  • Excellent athlete, explosive leaper
  • Surprisingly quick laterally
  • Runs the floor very well for a big
  • Good shot-blocker and rebounder
  • Has good frame
  • Has the ability to stretch the floor
Negatives
  • Needs to show toughness in the paint
  • Lacks a great motor
  • Needs to continue to add strength

Likely not updated since the season started. I know he ads stats and stuff but by January he will be pushing into the lottery IMO.

I think CMac will develop into a very special player late in the year. All he needs is a few key performances in our big ACC games, and boom...he gone.

IF he stays, I'm okay with missing out on Bryant. We'll have another year with poor depth at Center, but we'd still have a healthy DC2, and a more experienced Obokoh. Add an experienced CMac, and we're cookin'.

There's also the possiblity for a transfer or a current scholarship player who's willing to pay his way.

It's too late for the NCAA to take scholies away for 2015-16.

You're going to tell one of our incoming freshman recruits that they don't have a scholie in March?

Not happening.

Scholie reductions will start in 2016-17.

Mike Waters thinks there's a 90 percent chance McCullough is going pro.

Bryant has it narrowed to SU and Indiana, and Indiana is the fallback in the event McCullough stays.

Likely not updated since the season started. I know he ads stats and stuff but by January he will be pushing into the lottery IMO.
That must have been updated, because the last time I looked at Chad Ford's top 100, McCullough was ranked in the 60's or 70's.

He gone. I see how people said CMAC didn't play hard in high school, not because he doesn't, just because basketball is so easy for him. Besides the strength underneath.

It's too late for the NCAA to take scholies away for 2015-16.

You're going to tell one of our incoming freshman recruits that they don't have a scholie in March?

Not happening.

Scholie reductions will start in 2016-17.

Mike Waters thinks there's a 90 percent chance McCullough is going pro.

Bryant has it narrowed to SU and Indiana, and Indiana is the fallback in the event McCullough stays.
I agree with this and we are probably self-imposing a 3 scholarship reduction this year as zero walkons are on scholarship.

He gone. I see how people said CMAC didn't play hard in high school, not because he doesn't, just because basketball is so easy for him. Besides the strength underneath.

Yep a glider. But if you really watch on defense he is always looking to make a play. I've personally yet to see any signs of poor motor or motivation.

Yep a glider. But if you really watch on defense he is always looking to make a play. I've personally yet to see any signs of poor motor or motivation.

People often mistake effortless athleticism for lack of playing hard. McCullough could certainly play tougher inside [a common problem for young, lithe players], but he seems to work / run hard. Not a valid complaint about him, IMO, based upon the limited data set we've observed so far.

Last edited:
People often mistake effortless athleticism for lack of playing hard. McCullough could certainly play tougher inside [a common problem for young, lithe players], but he seems to work / run hard.
Yeah - I don't think it's a lack of effort. It's a lack of strength. He's sooooo weak right now.

The good news is he has a great frame to put some muscle on. The bad news is that he'll be in the NBA by the time he does it.

Yeah - I don't think it's a lack of effort. It's a lack of strength. He's sooooo weak right now.

The good news is he has a great frame to put some muscle on. The bad news is that he'll be in the NBA by the time he does it.

The strength and toughness finishing inside is a completely valid criticism but the lack of motor/effort is simply people being lazy at their job. Sadly as you say he will be in the NBA before he fills out that frame.

The strength and toughness finishing inside is a completely valid criticism but the lack of motor/effort is simply people being lazy at their job. Sadly as you say he will be in the NBA before he fills out that frame.

Agreed--kid has a great frame, and will easily add 20-30 pounds over the next few years as he physically matures. He's got NBA "4" size, just needs to fill out a little.

Also agree that it's lazy analysis to characterize him as not showing a consistent motor.

Yes. Great frame. I have been pleasantly surprised by his motor and work on the court. Seems like he cares. That was the big concern supposedly coming into SU.

He does seem like more of a "glider" than an 'explosive' guy. If it were the latter I bet we would see some vicious throwdowns as opposed to the weak layup tries. Plenty of skinny guys dunk the ball in traffic. Anthony Davis and John Henson come to mind when they were in school. I like the Perry Jones comparison or a young LaMarcus Aldridge.

The most surprising thing to me despite the lack of bulk Chris is an inside out type of player and even from the high-post or FT-line extended he prefers to slash to the basket rather than shoot although he obviously can shoot that. He doesn't seem like a player that will ever completely fall in love with his jumper no matter how good it is.

It is frustrating to have a player like this but to also know that we'll never have him as a mature player (or on a team that can take full advantage of him). I felt the same about MCW and that was certainly proven out by him earning NBA ROY! Donte Greene is the best sort of comparison to McC - he'll probably wind up very forgettable as a Syracuse player if we don't make some noise this year.

It is frustrating to have a player like this but to also know that we'll never have him as a mature player (or on a team that can take full advantage of him). I felt the same about MCW and that was certainly proven out by him earning NBA ROY! Donte Greene is the best sort of comparison to McC - he'll probably wind up very forgettable as a Syracuse player if we don't make some noise this year.

Imagine that 08/09 team with Donte on it . . . . . . . missing piece right there.

Imagine that 08/09 team with Donte on it . . . . . . . missing piece right there.

Imagine this year's team with Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant on it! Talk about missing pieces!! McCullough, Xmas, and Grant on the back line - you gotta be kidding!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom