At some point... | Syracusefan.com

At some point...

Faegan

All Conference
...this team is going to really, really gel and be special. We've seen flashes, but I contend that we are going to see some next level sh!te before the year is over. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Can't wait until tomorrow's game!

they simply don't have the personnel on defense or on faceoffs to be special this year

the offense however is definitely showing signs of being an elite unit sooner rather than later

they simply don't have the personnel on defense or on faceoffs to be special this year

the offense however is definitely showing signs of being an elite unit sooner rather than later
Absolutely correct. However, it's a bit concerning that they've only recruited one defensive player and one LSM. Maybe amongst the middies there are short-stick defenders?

Yes... the "flashes" I was referring to are definitely ball movement on O.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct. However, it's a bit concerning that they've only recruited one defensive player and one LSM. Maybe amongst the middies there are short-stick defenders?

There are a bunch of young defenders on the roster in Dwan, Kuczynski, Beck, Sageder, Vincent and most importantly Figuerias coming back from injury as a R-frosh next year. Keep in mind that Clary, Caccamo and Kol are all sophomores themselves.

SU had another defender had another close defender in next years class but he decommitted in the fall.

Regarding the SSDM's more help will be needed there but only Murphy and Bolea are lost to graduation and of those two only Murphy is seeing extended PT. Trujillo is a true frosh and I believe Mercado is also pegged to be a future SSDM and is red-shirting. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jake Spallina start out at SSDM.

I think they definitely need more help at FOOG but I will say Richiusa has at least been competitive most games (besides Maryland). We could really use another guy to at minimum run a 1-2 punch and or take draws when Richiusa is clearly struggling. Richiusa has also had the bad luck of going against a string of really good FOGO's - Burke, Endres, Wierman, the dude from UNC etc. Unfortunately for him it doesn't get any easier the next two weeks either. Where SU desperately needs help is on the wings. The wing play has been atrocious and even Gait acknowledged it after the UNC game. I suspect we may see some fresh faces there this week.

Defensively I agree I am not sure you can expect a big improvement until next year when Figuerias and Dwan are playing and there is some new blood to help at SSDM.

I think they definitely need more help at FOOG but I will say Richiusa has at least been competitive most games (besides Maryland). We could really use another guy to at minimum run a 1-2 punch and or take draws when Richiusa is clearly struggling. Richiusa has also had the bad luck of going against a string of really good FOGO's - Burke, Endres, Wierman, the dude from UNC etc. Unfortunately for him it doesn't get any easier the next two weeks either. Where SU desperately needs help is on the wings. The wing play has been atrocious and even Gait acknowledged it after the UNC game. I suspect we may see some fresh faces there this week.

Defensively I agree I am not sure you can expect a big improvement until next year when Figuerias and Dwan are playing and there is some new blood to help at SSDM.
I hate to say it given how passionate we are about the team, but I agree that we need to be patient and wait to see how things come together next year. The O has great potential - if we had a seasoned fogo and defense, the offense would be looking even better with more possessions.

My concern is that the rest of this season could be really hard mentally on the boys and I hope the coaches can focus on growth rather than poor results. Will Mark has a tough road ahead of him this season and he will be challenged not to get rattled. If things do gel, I can see the team being a serious contender in 2025 when the current frosh are juniors.

Next year will be year 3 for Gait so it will be just about his staff’s entirely recruited team. If the team is not yet competing for final fours it will be frustrating.

It is so hard to be patient as 2009 feels like 100 years ago. The same thing with the last final four…was it 2012? Going this long without a final four felt unfathomable for my lifetime following this program.

The worst part for me is that it has been the same problems during that span regardless of who is the head coach: poor wing play/FOGO play, SSDM, defense, in game coaching, defensive communication on the field, midfield depth, team speed all come to my mind.

Seems like we have found a decent goalie…that has been a rough spot the past few years. The man up offense has made significant progress. There have been some vintage Syracuse goals and fast breaks this year.

Go Orange!

Would love to see some fresh faces at the wing. While Rice is fast he just doesn't have a knack for GBs as he only has like 2 all season. He can generate offense but doesn't matter if we don't win the face off. Solid SSDM but give some other guys a shot and see if they can scoop GBs. Rosa I don't mind even tho he's a little slow he's tough and will fight for a GB.

I think need see fresh faces on everything at times. Least for first half of game. One to save legs of starters down stretch and two change it up see who may start a spark or lighting in bottle. Def think should throw guy in on defense once n again for how much d we been playing. Def switch it in at Fo n wings. Even if gotta put dwan or beck for clary down low and clary on wing now and again. Think clary would be good on wing.

Next year will be year 3 for Gait so it will be just about his staff’s entirely recruited team. If the team is not yet competing for final fours it will be frustrating.

It is so hard to be patient as 2009 feels like 100 years ago. The same thing with the last final four…was it 2012? Going this long without a final four felt unfathomable for my lifetime following this program.

The worst part for me is that it has been the same problems during that span regardless of who is the head coach: poor wing play/FOGO play, SSDM, defense, in game coaching, defensive communication on the field, midfield depth, team speed all come to my mind.

Seems like we have found a decent goalie…that has been a rough spot the past few years. The man up offense has made significant progress. There have been some vintage Syracuse goals and fast breaks this year.

Go Orange!
We had some solid goalie play from Molloy and Porter. Last year was the low point.

Go Orange!
Not really though. This years freshman class was all recruited by Desko and Co, so it'll be a while before Gaits recruits show up.

Not really though. This years freshman class was all recruited by Desko and Co, so it'll be a while before Gaits recruits show up.
The issue is that teams can't rely on just one great class. It takes 3-4 years of great recruiting. SU's '22 class will be better next year, but you know who is also gonna be better next year? Everybody in the ACC. ND Duke and Virginia literally are bringing back 95% of their scoring. And their 23 and 24 classes outpace SU's substantially.

This cannot be a "we'll get em" next year because frankly it probably won't be all that much different of a landscape.

The lack of def players both on the squad and recruited is alarming. You don't find 3 starters from a group of 5. You need to have 10-12 at every position to find the right starters. Right now, the depth is not improving.

The reality is the game has spread so far geographically that you can't build a successful program by looking out your window and assuming the best players are right there. Building a roster requires relying on non-traditional places more than just the hotbeds. A lot of those kids don't come from lax families and don't remember when SU was on top.

Point being, this can spiral downward in a hurry without big wins this year.

The most important games left are JHU and PU. Both look beatable and will be the difference between a losing season and .500. Another losing season and this starts to get away from Gait quickly with another lackluster '25 class.

The issue is that teams can't rely on just one great class. It takes 3-4 years of great recruiting. SU's '22 class will be better next year, but you know who is also gonna be better next year? Everybody in the ACC. ND Duke and Virginia literally are bringing back 95% of their scoring. And their 23 and 24 classes outpace SU's substantially.

This cannot be a "we'll get em" next year because frankly it probably won't be all that much different of a landscape.

The lack of def players both on the squad and recruited is alarming. You don't find 3 starters from a group of 5. You need to have 10-12 at every position to find the right starters. Right now, the depth is not improving.

The reality is the game has spread so far geographically that you can't build a successful program by looking out your window and assuming the best players are right there. Building a roster requires relying on non-traditional places more than just the hotbeds. A lot of those kids don't come from lax families and don't remember when SU was on top.

The most important games left are JHU and PU. Both look beatable and will be the difference between a losing season and .500. Another losing season and this starts to get away from Gait quickly with another lackluster '25 class.
I think JHU and PU will be tough challenges but I agree that we have better odds of beating them than the ACC

Your points on recruiting are bang on. It's hard to compete with the academic/lacrosse elite of Duke, UVA, UNC, Ivys etc. Cuse needs to put a huge effort into recruiting going forward and cast a wide net as you say.

A lot of great points made. Definitely need consistently good classes (including transfers). As mentioned in a different thread, the staff is saving $ for transfers... So I am not going to get too hung out with overall star ratings with upcoming classes.

I think need see fresh faces on everything at times. Least for first half of game. One to save legs of starters down stretch and two change it up see who may start a spark or lighting in bottle. Def think should throw guy in on defense once n again for how much d we been playing. Def switch it in at Fo n wings. Even if gotta put dwan or beck for clary down low and clary on wing now and again. Think clary would be good on wing.
Tough to do that when the second quarter has been a gut punch, sans Duke game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom