Class of 2015 - ATH Kenterius Womack (AL) Signed LOI | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 ATH Kenterius Womack (AL) Signed LOI

I don't think bees was suggesting you had. You asked "why do so many on here second guess" to which he replied that the answer is easy: because it's a message board.
Beat me to it. Exactly what he was saying.

Womack is a great athlete, so you find a way to get him on the field, as soon as possible. They have an entire offseason, and next spring to see if he can be the QB, but he can be a playmaker now.

Qualifications for a potentially great WR:
Height - 6'3" - check
Speed - 4.45 40 - check
Hands - unknown at this point
Route running - unknown at this point

After 4 days of reps throwing the ball vs all other QBs in the stable, how hard was this decision for the coaches & kid to really make and move him to a position of great need in my book. Hopefully in a couple of years he becomes one of our top playmakers!

Qualifications for a potentially great WR:
Height - 6'3" - check
Speed - 4.45 40 - check
Hands - unknown at this point
Route running - unknown at this point

After 4 days of reps throwing the ball vs all other QBs in the stable, how hard was this decision for the coaches & kid to really make and move him to a position of great need in my book. Hopefully in a couple of years he becomes one of our top playmakers!
He's not actually 6-3, officially listed at 6-1. Just FYI.

It blows my mind that some people have this kid pegged as a D1 QB based simply on measurables (he's pretty slight by the way) , and a highlight tape in which he plays against small competition. He's a hell of an athlete no doubt about it. But holy crap, a stable of D1 coaches has actually watched him play against D1 talent now. A stable of coaches who have watched more QB's come and go in their careers, than any of us could even dream of. I'd say they're a bit more qualified to decide what the best fit for this kid is, than a bunch of gym class heroes on a message board who watched a youtube video of his most shining moments.

Lester had never seen Womack throw live until camp started.

If you think it's ridiculous to deem him not suited for the QB position after only 3 days of practice, you should also think it is crazy to think this kid is the second coming of McNabb after watching only his highlight tape.

We shouldn't need him at QB numbers wise, being he was offered after signing day.
I applaud the staff for not wasting any time moving him over.

Last edited:

If you think it's ridiculous to deem him not suited for the QB position after only 3 days of practice, you should also think it is crazy to think this kid is the second coming of McNabb after watching only his highlight tape.

We shouldn't need him at QB numbers wise, being he was offered after signing day.

Tend to agree with this analysis, but I am just hopeful Dungey is the real deal.

Another thing with the only 3 days of camp thing is that he has been here working out for a summer session and this year it has been noted that more than in past NCAA rules are allowing viewership of these workouts by the coaches. Not that this changes things dramatically because it's still not organized practice but I'm sure he has been watched quite a bit by the coaches (not sure if filming of players only workouts are allowed or not) over the last month or so. I'm kind of on the fence whether I really care or not because I see both sides but the "only 3 days of practice" is slightly over blown in this case.

Tend to agree with this analysis, but I am just hopeful Dungey is the real deal.

I saw the scrimmage, yes he is a freshman, but I am in the camp that he is the real deal. I am not ready to anoint him yet but considering that he is a freshman, I believe he is the front runner going into next season.

Should also mention he had a HS coach that did not promote him, did not send his tape to schools, and I'm betting did not provide him the type of instruction many D1 QB recruits receive in their HS career. Seemed obvious to me based on the comments Lester made of his footwork. He's a great athlete that played QB in HS.
His HS coach (and former Bama coach) is an ass. I believe that view is widely held in the state of Alabama.

His HS coach (and former Bama coach) is an ass. I believe that view is widely held in the state of Alabama.

Dubose is despised in this state.

Well there isn't much going on in recruiting this week but there is HS football. I saw these tweets and thought I would share a slice of small town America.

Stephen Gunter ‏@Stephen_Gunter 13h13 hours ago
We will be live from Luverne in a few minutes! Big showdown with the Tigers and Brantley Bulldogs!

Stephen Gunter
‏@Stephen_Gunter
12h12 hours agoLifeFlight delivering game ball to legendary Luverne coach Glenn Daniel pic.twitter.com/y1gDzvYmz

Should also mention he had a HS coach that did not promote him, did not send his tape to schools, and I'm betting did not provide him the type of instruction many D1 QB recruits receive in their HS career. Seemed obvious to me based on the comments Lester made of his footwork. He's a great athlete that played QB in HS.
Amazing that his head coach was the former head coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide. Yes that college team

Maybe Dungey is that good of a player? I don't understand why some are so upset about Womack's move. Dungey appears to have the tools to be a solid QB and people think Womack can be a good receiver. We should be thrilled about this, not upset.

18634580-mmmain.jpg

True Frosh Kenterius Womack Could See Field at WR This Season (PS; Bailey)

Watching Kenterius Womack work out during the first couple weeks of camp, Syracuse offensive coordinator Tim Lester came away with two conclusions:

1. Womack isn't ready to play quarterback at this level, yet.

2. He is athletic enough to be a contributor this season if he can develop at wide receiver.

As the Orange finishes up its preseason camp and moves into game preparation for its season opener against Rhode Island, Womack continues to spend time practicing at quarterback and wide receiver. Lester hasn't ruled out the 6-foot-1, 170-pound athlete from running SU's offense in future years, but he's seen enough to instruct the first-year player to train primarily at wideout.

Womack initially had trouble getting off the line of scrimmage, but he's improved his physicality, thanks in part to working with sophomore wide receiver Steve Ishmael. Releases were Ishmael's main struggle during his first few months of college ball last year.

"You've seen that growth as we cut down quarterback stuff," Lester said. "That's really why we did it, to make sure he's ready to go this year. He is talented, and now that he can get off the ball, he can make plays."

Womack flashed his shiftiness very briefly during the Fort Drum scrimmage, coming around on a reverse and spinning away from freshman defensive end Qaadir Sheppard. He didn't make it back to the line of scrimmage but appears to be a fairly natural athlete in a wide receivers group that's largely unproven after Ishmael.

"I know once he gets the ball, that's not a problem," Lester said.

It's likely that Womack won't be making any contributions right away this year, but as he continues to master the playbook and thinks less during practice, he could rise up the depth chart.

the post seems to be great news for KW, but one thing really comes to mind with me reading articles like this. Yes he has great potential at the WR position and seems to be making a quasi impact. But also in the article it quotes the coaches and saying who their top 4 are, and the top options behind them.

so what I really shudder to see and think, is another rice moss/johnny morant situation where we burn a kids redshirt year for him to get in a handful of plays. either the kid can frequently contribute this year or not. if not thats perfectly fine. redshirt him, let him spend the year learning more about the position at a D1 level, then let him loose next year.