Class of 2017 - ATH Russell Thompson-Bishop (CT) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ATH Russell Thompson-Bishop (CT) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Syracuse Football Recruiting Sitdown: Russell Thompson-Bishop (itlh.com; Edsen Jr)

So first off why Syracuse? What was so enticing about this program?

Russell Thompson (@RTB__1):

I became interested in Syracuse in March, my uncle John Lobon is an alum and a person who was involved in many changes to the school when he was there. So I visited in June & did a private workout and got the offer. I fell in love with the coaches, and facilities. No other school recruited me harder, showed more attention, fit me as well as a WR & was the best balance of my offers of Academics and Athletics.

You speak eloquently about both the academics and athletics side of things, do you have hopes of the NFL or do you have another passion?

Yes I have hopes and dreams of going to the NFL, that is why I chose Syracuse over the ivy leagues. It provided me better opportunities while also getting a great education.

Syracuse Football Recruiting Sitdown: Russell Thompson-Bishop (itlh.com; Edsen Jr)

I became interested in Syracuse in March, my uncle John Lobon is an alum and a person who was involved in many changes to the school when he was there. So I visited in June & did a private workout and got the offer. I fell in love with the coaches, and facilities. No other school recruited me harder, showed more attention, fit me as well as a WR & was the best balance of my offers of Academics and Athletics.

You speak eloquently about both the academics and athletics side of things, do you have hopes of the NFL or do you have another passion?

Yes I have hopes and dreams of going to the NFL, that is why I chose Syracuse over the ivy leagues. It provided me better opportunities while also getting a great education.

Kid is a stud. Well spoken and intelligent, as well as athletic. Great get for Cuse!

Can't be said any better

Can't be said any better
In case someone doesn't know, RTB's uncle John Lobon is a member of the 'Syracuse Eight', one of nine African American players who boycotted SU football in 1970 to protest poor treatment by the university and the coaching staff.

Syracuse Honors Nine Players Who Took a Stand

You wouldn't think John would speak highly of Syracuse but SU reached out to these athletes in recent years and honored them for their courage to take a stand and make major sacrifices to make a difference...

In case someone doesn't know, RTB's uncle John Lobon is a member of the 'Syracuse Eight', one of nine African American players who boycotted SU football in 1970 to protest poor treatment by the university and the coaching staff.

You wouldn't think John would speak highly of Syracuse but SU reached out to these athletes in recent years and honored them for their courage to take a stand and make major sacrifices to make a difference...

Thank you Tom for posting the article on Russell in the Daily articles, which I stole for this thread.
And to the rest of you...you are missing out if you don't read Toms' posts of the Daily articles everyday.

Good perspective. Don't want to hijack, but it's probably worth saying that Gross got dumped on (including by a few people here) for honoring the Eight. I hope this young guy's interview helps change a few minds.

Not only was it the decent thing to do, it's also be a win from a self-interested position.

This recruit sounds like a terrific kid, BTW.

Good perspective. Don't want to hijack, but it's probably worth saying that Gross got dumped on (including by a few people here) for honoring the Eight. I hope this young guy's interview helps change a few minds.

Not only was it the decent thing to do, it's also be a win from a self-interested position.

This recruit sounds like a terrific kid, BTW.
Agree. 3.89 gpa, expected to finish 4th in his class. Articulate, thoughtful even as a HS student.

And a great athlete. I have high hopes for him.

Hopefully he'll be the offenses Zaire Franklin. Well spoken, smart, charismatic leader that can really play.
Nah, while I think he will be well spoken, smart and charismatic. I think the unquestioned leader will always be at quarterback. I think Dungey and then his successor (likely DeVito) and all quarterbacks thereafter will be strong leaders.

Looooove this

Nah, while I think he will be well spoken, smart and charismatic. I think the unquestioned leader will always be at quaterback. I think Dungey and then his successor (likely DeVito) and all quarterbacks thereafter will be strong leaders.
This guy says hi. ;)
images

He posted an 11.1 100m and a 22.6 200m time at league championships this week. Finished 3rd and 4th overall - not sure if he qualified for states or not but will report back his times if he did.
Are those hand timed or electronic?