Athlon ranks the ACC coaches | Syracusefan.com

Athlon ranks the ACC coaches

K is great, don't get me wrong. Awesome motivator and Recruiter. When it comes to X and O's Pitino is the best coach in the ACC. Give me one game to win, i'd take him just about over any coach in college basketball. His philosophy changes depending on the opponent and I think thats a big reason why his teams very rarely get upset. K and Boeheim are awesome, but to me they are more entrenched in their playing style. It's in your face man to man for Duke regardless if guys can beat them off the dribble, and the 2/3 regardless if someones made 10 3's or not against us.

Cusefan0307 said:
K is great, don't get me wrong. Awesome motivator and Recruiter. When it comes to X and O's Pitino is the best coach in the ACC. Give me one game to win, i'd take him just about over any coach in college basketball. His philosophy changes depending on the opponent and I think thats a big reason why his teams very rarely get upset. K and Boeheim are awesome, but to me they are more entrenched in their playing style. It's in your face man to man for Duke regardless if guys can beat them off the dribble, and the 2/3 regardless if someones made 10 3's or not against us.
X and Os K is the best hands down. Pitino is great at getting guys to buy into playing hard and playing clutch and grab, but K is the true master of "basketball". His teams, much like JBs, thrive in a flowing game. They've struggled against teams that are changing the game into the junk we see now

Not saying Bennett isn't a good coach but he's getting an awful lot of mileage out of 1 good season at UVA. Let's see if he can do it consistently for several years.
He took Wazoo to the ncaas where they have not been before or since and he did it with Farmer John's players.

I don't think Bennett is a bad coach but he hasn't done enough to warrant such a high ranKing. I'd switch him and Roy.

In fact I have a hard time saying he's better than Buzz Williams. ... whom I forgot is now in the ACC

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Bennett is a bad coach but he hasn't done enough to warrant such a high ranKing. I'd switch him and Roy.

In fact I have a hard time saying he's better than Buzz Williams. ... whom I forgot is now in the ACC

Ha ok i forgot about Buzz also. I can buy that.

Agree with 1-3.

North Carolina fans probably are not happy about Roy being behind JB and Pitino

This ranking loses all credibility when it puts Bennett ahead of Roy Williams. Roy Williams has two national titles and has been to 7 final fours. What has Bennet done, He took uva to a sweet 16, and wsu to the tournament, and that is pretty much it. I wouldn't put him ahead of JB, but an argument can be made to put Roy ahead of him.

Dixon's teams do some clutch and grab. Not really Louisville. They just wear you down with timely waves of pressure and depth. I'll take Pitino, then K, then JB. I like the rest of the list.

That's a heck of a rating when you can put Leonard Hamilton #10. Not really a lot to choose from for me in the last six.
But not a clinker in the bunch!

I think Pitino's a better coach than K. I don't think K or Roy Williams can win unless they have an ultra-talented team, neither one would've taken 1987 Providence to the Final Four as Pitino did nor would they have had the same success at Louisville with the same players Pitino has had.

Sorry if already posted

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-ranking-acc-coaches-2014-15

1. K
2. Pitino
3. JB
4. Bennet (LOL)
5. Roy

Tony Bennett is his father's son.
He's followed the Wisconsin blueprint: the two are the two most fundamentally sound major college teams in America.
I think he needs more time to be ranked above Roy Williams given Williams' career accomplishments (academic scandal notwithstanding).
But he's only 45.
He'll be among the top few coaches in America in a few years.
UVA should be a force for years to come.

The problem is that Athlon references "the past two years" as a factor for ranking every coach except K. So what is it, an all-time ranking or a ranking of performance over the last 2 years? If it is the latter, K is not even top 5.

The problem is that Athlon references "the past two years" as a factor for ranking every coach except K. So what is it, an all-time ranking or a ranking of performance over the last 2 years? If it is the latter, K is not even top 5.

If that's the case Insidecarolina shouldn't be losing it's sh%t because Boeheim is above Roy.

Not that they should anyway...since JB is better.

Top 5 in the ACC? They're 56-15 the last 2 years, finished top 3 in the league both times, made the elite 8 in 2013. There are 5 coaches with better resumes in the ACC the last 2 years?

Not saying Bennett isn't a good coach but he's getting an awful lot of mileage out of 1 good season at UVA. Let's see if he can do it consistently for several years.
Bennett hasnt just won at UVA. He won at freaking Washington State! Place defines a dump and is almost impossible to win at. He's without a doubt a top 5 coach in the ACC, currently. Agree with the post above this on Pitino... He is the best coach in the country, IMHO

I was taking Bennett more along the lines of I think I would rather have him as my coach right now tha Roy (and less from an age standpoint). My dad and brother are UVA fans, I could be biased to him because of that.

Top 5 in the ACC? They're 56-15 the last 2 years, finished top 3 in the league both times, made the elite 8 in 2013. There are 5 coaches with better resumes in the ACC the last 2 years?

Well, they also got bounced in the first round twice in the last three years, including during the most recent year.

Well, they also got bounced in the first round twice in the last three years, including during the most recent year.

Well yeah, but you specifically said the last 2 years, not the last 3. And in 2012, they still were 2 seed, going 27-7 and finishing second in the league. Pretty good year.

Coach K's resume is pretty much above reproach no matter what period of time you look at.

Well yeah, but you specifically said the last 2 years, not the last 3. And in 2012, they still were 2 seed, going 27-7 and finishing second in the league. Pretty good year.

Coach K's resume is pretty much above reproach no matter what period of time you look at.

Let's look at the data since 2004.

Coach K
2004: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Regular Season Champs
2005: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament Champs
2006: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs
2007: Lost in first round of NCAAT.
2008: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2009: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament Champs.
2010: NCAA National Champs. ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs.
2011: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament Champs.
2012: Lost in first round of NCAAT.
2013: Elite 8.
2014: Lost in first round of NCAAT.

So, in the last eleven seasons, K has one national title, two final fours, three Elite 8 appearances, 3 ACC Regular Season titles, and 5 ACC tournament titles. Pretty impressive.

Now, let's compare to Roy Williams over the same time period.

Roy Williams
2004: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2005: NCAA National Champs, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2006: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2007: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs.
2008: NCAA Final Four, ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs.
2009: NCAA National Champs, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2010: NIT.
2011: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2012: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2013: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2014: Lost in second round of NCAAT.

So, over the same time period, Roy has two national titles, three final fours, six Elite 8 appearances, 6 ACC Regular Season titles, and two NCAA tournament titles. I'd argue that Roy's record since 2004 is better than K's.

K isn't as untouchable as you might think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom