Babers' house | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Babers' house

I'm sure Babers house is quite modest compared to most P5 head football coaches. A lot of states in the south have cheap real estate and the richest football coaches. Imagine what 5 million a year can get you in Alabama.
Cheap real estate? Not really. The difference is the level of property taxes compared to NY.

Cheap real estate? Not really. The difference is the level of property taxes compared to NY.
Agree on the property taxes, but real estate in Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc is pretty cheap compared to the East and West Coast. I don't count Florida, which is merely an extension of the Northeast.

Not even NY - CNY.

Our house 1 hour N of NYC recently sold for a decent chunk more than what Dino paid.
Our taxes were literally HALF of that.

CNY taxes are obscene, relative to the market values.

you pay more for a far inferior house but less in taxes. A house like you describe may go for $75k to $110k here yet the taxes, depending on the neighborhood would be $3k - $7k.

^^This^^

Rent is killing my son and he can afford a house in this range. But... he can't afford the GD taxes!!

well, yeah, that's why i mentioned being flexible about what you do.

But then wouldn't we stop having big cities for people to visit?

If you can deal with the interest you pay, there will be a big return on the house you buy in big city suburbs for Florida retirement downsizing and riding golf carts to happy hour every day.

Not even NY - CNY.

Our house 1 hour N of NYC recently sold for a decent chunk more than what Dino paid.
Our taxes were literally HALF of that.

CNY taxes are obscene, relative to the market values.
Ya, we get the royal screwing here.

Ya, we get the royal screwing here.
that's what happens when you push the cost of Medicaid to the counties and ultimately the property owners. I believe NY is one of the few states that does not completely fund medicaid

"In state fiscal year 2012, New York’s counties will pay more than $7.1 billion for Medicaid, or about 13 percent of total expenditures which are projected to be $53 billion.1 ...In fiscal year 2008, New York’s counties paid $6.5 billion for Medicaid, or about 16 percent of total expenditures.2

The financial burden this requirement places on counties is highly unusual. Many states do not require any local contribution, and among those that do none come close to what is required in New York. The policy is problematic for two reasons: It places an inequitable burden on taxpayers in less affluent communities, and it reduces the pressure to contain costs."

http://www.cbcny.org/sites/default/files/REPORT_Medicaid_12122012.pdf

My actual property taxes aren't that horrible and I live in CNY, it's the school district taxes that are totally obscene. My school taxes are over 63% of my total taxes, over $3700 alone. Amazing considering the amount of increased commercial and residential development, reduction of students, closed schools etc.

But then wouldn't we stop having big cities for people to visit?

If you can deal with the interest you pay, there will be a big return on the house you buy in big city suburbs for Florida retirement downsizing and riding golf carts to happy hour every day.
That's true. I have to move to a meth lab to get any retirement cash out of this house

That's true. I have to move to a meth lab to get any retirement cash out of this house
You don't have to move to have a meth lab in your house. Not everyone starts out like Walter White ya know.

They include that in the listings now as part of the updated kitchen section, so that helps resale.

that's what happens when you push the cost of Medicaid to the counties and ultimately the property owners. I believe NY is one of the few states that does not completely fund medicaid

"In state fiscal year 2012, New York’s counties will pay more than $7.1 billion for Medicaid, or about 13 percent of total expenditures which are projected to be $53 billion.1 ...In fiscal year 2008, New York’s counties paid $6.5 billion for Medicaid, or about 16 percent of total expenditures.2

The financial burden this requirement places on counties is highly unusual. Many states do not require any local contribution, and among those that do none come close to what is required in New York. The policy is problematic for two reasons: It places an inequitable burden on taxpayers in less affluent communities, and it reduces the pressure to contain costs."

http://www.cbcny.org/sites/default/files/REPORT_Medicaid_12122012.pdf
And every municipality has to have its own town government, highway department, fire department with equipment that can reach a 10 story building when the tallest building is 50 feet, etc. there are opportunities for consolidation and cost savings

It's stupid to be house poor but if you can afford a big house, and you want a big house, go for it. Personally I'm long past the point of judging people's material decisions. Life's too short.

Oh I agree, long past the point, I don't judge them. But do have to laugh when my friends and family complain about being broke from the living rooms of their McMansions. If the McMansion gives you that much happiness and pleasure to each their own.

Life stage is pretty important when it comes to house size. 800 square feet for 2 adults and 2 kids would be absolute hell on earth from my perspective.
Agreed...My houses went in order: 1300, 1500, 2000, 3000, 2200, 2100, 1500 and now 1400 sq ft. All the houses were on slab.

We have downsized...However I'll be building about an 160 sq ft workshop in my backyard in Florida this Spring.

And every municipality has to have its own town government, highway department, fire department with equipment that can reach a 10 story building when the tallest building is 50 feet, etc. there are opportunities for consolidation and cost savings
yes, completely agree. And it's those folks who are pushing the hardest to keep the I81 viaduct cutting between SU and the city.

yes, completely agree. And it's those folks who are pushing the hardest to keep the I81 viaduct cutting between SU and the city.

Two totally different issues.

Pretty reasonable for a college football head coach, you should see Saban's crib.

my house in bethlehem pa is worth 340,ooo ,i paid 310.2600sqft. moved over here 5yrs ago from jersey as property taxes are cheaper and pa. does not tax pensions. real estate here is vastly inflated, but it was worse in jersey.that said my house in syracuse would be worth approx 210-250, if i was lucky. half of the people in bethlehem work in nj or even nyc. i wanted to downsize and get a small townhouse and buy a small camp on owasco lake. my wife would not have any part of it!!! she is a jersey girl. so i rent a place for two weeks every summer. syracuse real estate is steal.
i still look at camps for sale on owasco all the time. the last one i saw was a 2 br double wide with all public utilities. what a dump,225000 asking, right up my alley!!!!can't afford that now though.