Basketball Only Fans (Please reply) | Syracusefan.com

Basketball Only Fans (Please reply)

HeaterCuse22

All Conference
Top 2 reasons you attend basketball games but not football: (Only reply if you only do basketball seasons and/or only attend basketball please).

I'll start. I live 2.5 hours away and have season tickets for basketball. I don't go to all the games but this year I should be able to attend at least ten. I used to go to one football game a year but haven't in a while. I think the last game was the loss to Rutgers. I wouldn't say that I am not a Syracuse football fan because I still watch the great majority of the games on TV but just not in person. I was hoping the LSU game was at night as I would attempt to go to that. A noon start makes it difficult for me time wise. This is a tough question but I will say as a fan I am more excited about the basketball team and part of it is that in the winter it basically has my full attention. In the fall, we have much more going on and on the priority list it just doesn't rank as high. Even if the football team was a top ten team, I would still maybe only go to one game a year at the most. It's a tough question to answer.

Preface: I have only been to one live football game (Thanks to the man, the master blaster of disaster ImperialOrange. Serious, thanks again man).
But for me:
  • College basketball and specifically SU basketball is my favorite sport by far. Even with all the NCAA garbage, some recent tough times and feel like we've been generally shafted, I will continue to believe!
  • Just in general, haven't been a huge college football fan over the years. That said, I definitely have watched many more SU football games than in the past. Kinda fun rooting for these guys when they are the underdog and counted out before they even begin.

Preface: I have only been to one live football game (Thanks to the man, the master blaster of disaster ImperialOrange. Serious, thanks again man).
But for me:
  • College basketball and specifically SU basketball is my favorite sport by far. Even with all the NCAA garbage, some recent tough times and feel like we've been generally shafted, I will continue to believe!
  • Just in general, haven't been a huge college football fan over the years. That said, I definitely have watched many more SU football games than in the past. Kinda fun rooting for these guys when they are the underdog and counted out before they even begin.

Met life game once again October 1 next year brother. Would love to line something up for better seating arrangement if you're up to coming out again. Tee Jr a couple years older and it shouldn't be brutally hot like the State Penn game for him. Something to keep in mind and keep me posted if you/he/your mrs are interested in coming out for that one.

Tangent warning-
I'm somewhat of an oddity in being firmly football first and never been to the dome for a hoops game. SU Football was my first love and it's more fun for me to cheer hoping they do well vs hoops where I expect them win most every game and am left frustrated if they don't. Also, coming from 250 miles south a 4 hour event > a 2 hour event. All the stars have to align for me to get to the dome and traveling north in the dead of winter, the weather usually keeps me from trying to plan it.

Met life game once again October 1 next year brother. Would love to line something up for better seating arrangement if you're up to coming out again. Tee Jr a couple years older and it shouldn't be brutally hot like the State Penn game for him. Something to keep in mind and keep me posted if you/he/your mrs are interested in coming out for that one.

Tangent warning-
I'm somewhat of an oddity in being firmly football first and never been to the dome for a hoops game. SU Football was my first love and it's more fun for me to cheer hoping they do well vs hoops where I expect them win most every game and am left frustrated if they don't. Also, coming from 250 miles south a 4 hour event > a 2 hour event. All the stars have to align for me to get to the dome and traveling north in the dead of winter, the weather usually keeps me from trying to plan it.
Stars will align! How about meeting up at MSG, our home away from the dome? All good things either way but if I do join you October 1, please let me return the favor and get you, little Imperial and other Imperials the tickets. :)
COukHk_WsAAxIDs.jpg

Stars will align! How about meeting up at MSG, our home away from the dome? All good things either way but if I do join you October 1, please let me return the favor and get you, little Imperial and other Imperials the tickets. :)
COukHk_WsAAxIDs.jpg

Let me know what/when you're thinking for the mecca known as msg. We'll figure out metlife when it gets closer to the date and of course appreciate the offer. Perhaps we'll both be filthy rich by that point and rock a luxury box?

I only go to one Cuse hoops game per year, and that's usually over the Christmas holidays. While I live in VT, I grew up in the Albany, NY area and go down there to celebrate with family. My sister works for a large corporation who has season tickets and we get to use the tickets as a family (my father, myself, my son, my sister, and one or both of my brothers). I'd love to be able to hit other games, but life is busy. During the fall, we rarely venture far from VT and Cuse football isn't enough to tempt us away. No football is really. We are a basketball family, which means in the winter my son is playing on one or more teams over the weekend so that cuts down on available weekends to travel to see more hoops games. So we settle for seeing UVM play for 5 bucks or so a game from seats that would cost me 5-10 times as much at the Dome.

I grew up in Syracuse but live in Rochester now. My wife and I have season tickets for basketball only. We make it to just about every basketball game outside of the exhibitions, so that's already 15-ish round trips from Rochester to Syracuse from November to March. Adding in another 5 or 6 between September and early November feels like too much. I hate to say it, but if the team/experience were better I would probably go to more football games. I've been to more Bills games than Cuse games in the past five or so years, but a big thing for me is the tailgating. It doesn't seem as accessible at the Dome. We'll see how it goes next weekend. Picked up a handful of tickets to the LSU game. Leaving Rochester at 7am to get the tailgating started...

As a very long-time SU fan, I make it over every season for at least one football game, watch others, DVR others. But I attend many more basketball games. Why? My wife enjoys basketball, but not the violent hits or injuries or complexities or slow pace of football. Basketball games are shorter, usually more exciting, better on-court entertainment (cheerleaders, dance team), better chances of seeing SU win, games have more meaning in rankings and for SU post-season options, better tradition (even new ones with ND and Duke), more scoring even in a tight defensive struggle.
We have been able to follow SU basketball in post-seasons to Salt Lake City, Boston, and DC, which enhances the attachment to the team.
Easier to get to know the 7 guys who make JB's rotation.
Football competes with other outdoor activities we enjoy, or fall clean up work that needs to be done. Basketball season -- what do you do without SU basketball?

I live 4.5 hours away and have some small kids (2, 4 and 7), so I have to pick my trips carefully. I have watched virtually every hoops and football game in the past 24 years. Basketball wins out 95% of the time (Lets take the last ~10 years, I have been to 15ish basketball games and 1 football game) for the following reasons:

1) More basketball games to choose from
2) Better product - not only do they win more, but the football team has been generally way less exciting, regardless of wins and losses
3) Better opponents. We are and have been (Big East) in 2 of the best hoop conferences of all time with marque teams visiting the Dome weekly. In football, we average one more see opponent per year, and we generally have no chance to win this game.
4) Cost - this is probably minor, but if I catch a week day hoops game, the hotel cost is much cheaper. I usually stay 1 might.
5) I like college hoops better. So many teams have a chance. In football, only a handful of teams have a chance, not just this year, but every year.
6) Football is so much better on TV. Basketball is so much better in person.
7) Seating - I can sit on those benches for 2 hours, but 3+ for a football game is really pushing my limits.
8) Seating - I am generally able to get much better seats for the basketball games. I haven't had nice seats for football since I was a student (OK, I haven't been trying that hard to be honest).

Watching Basketball and Football does not make you any less of a basketball fan. Wait did I just say that :bang:. quick delete post.
I live across he country, but If I lived there I would probably have season tickets and go to both.
Football is great for tailgaiting and bringing 5 or more people you know well. Especially when you get two rows together so your not all on the same bench and can look over each others shoulders and talk in between plays.
I miss those days, and they are so much better when the team is legit. We are a midmajor nowadays from usually ranked to never.

My only quarrel with the basketball is I wish we were alittle more hostile all around the court instead of only 1/4.

I live 4.5 hours away and have some small kids (2, 4 and 7), so I have to pick my trips carefully. I have watched virtually every hoops and football game in the past 24 years. Basketball wins out 95% of the time (Lets take the last ~10 years, I have been to 15ish basketball games and 1 football game) for the following reasons:

1) More basketball games to choose from
2) Better product - not only do they win more, but the football team has been generally way less exciting, regardless of wins and losses
3) Better opponents. We are and have been (Big East) in 2 of the best hoop conferences of all time with marque teams visiting the Dome weekly. In football, we average one more see opponent per year, and we generally have no chance to win this game.
4) Cost - this is probably minor, but if I catch a week day hoops game, the hotel cost is much cheaper. I usually stay 1 might.
5) I like college hoops better. So many teams have a chance. In football, only a handful of teams have a chance, not just this year, but every year.
6) Football is so much better on TV. Basketball is so much better in person.
7) Seating - I can sit on those benches for 2 hours, but 3+ for a football game is really pushing my limits.
8) Seating - I am generally able to get much better seats for the basketball games. I haven't had nice seats for football since I was a student (OK, I haven't been trying that hard to be honest).
I like your number six. It's so true.

Top 2 reasons you attend basketball games but not football: (Only reply if you only do basketball seasons and/or only attend basketball please).

Here are the reasons I can think of why I haven't been to an SU football game in about three years despite the fact that its cheap and I'm a huge SU fan (in order).

1) Football isn't a very good sport. 90% of the time you know who's going to win before the game is played.
2) There's a ton going on in the Fall. While the heart of basketball season is during that down time in the year after the holidays and before spring. Despite not being a huge football fan I seriously consider those $99 season tickets every year, then I look at my calendar and realize that every Saturday is already booked.
3) The games are too long. When I was a kid and I had a ton of time on my hands I followed just about every sport, the majors (football, baseball, and basketball), but even a lot of more fringe sports like boxing, tennis, soccer. Now I pick and choose very carefully. I find that I have (unconsciously) eliminated any sport that takes over two hours to play. I watch 100% of SU basketball games, and maybe 50% of Liverpool soccer games. I don't watch anything else except for special occasions.
4) Unless you start in the top 10, its pretty much impossible to play for anything meaningful (i.e. a national championship) in college football.

I can honestly say that ticket prices, the walk up to the Dome, and even the fact that SU isn't very good don't really keep me away. I suppose if SU was good enough to play for something meaningful I'd be more likely to go, but only a handful of schools get to do that.

I do go to football games - usually 1 or 2 a year, although I haven't gone in 2 or 3 years now. The main reasons I don't go to football games anymore is because (a) the team is not competitive in most games of interest (sure, we can beat the weak teams on our schedule, but the crowd usually sucks for those games), and (b) the lack of atmosphere. The Dome is a tomb for football games, unless it's a big opponent, and then (again, for the last several years) we typically get smoked by halftime and people start leaving.

I remember, not too long ago, even a down Syracuse team could pull the occasional Dome upset against a "name" opponent. Now, it seems like that's not even a remote possibility.

Last edited:
Find me a place where you can bet on games with no point spread, and I'll do it.

If you can bet on games moneyline with 90% accuracy, you're going to make a fortune.

I live about 1.5 hrs from the Dome and do about 10 BBall games a year, but only ~3 football games. I have Bills season tickets, so attending football games on Saturday and Sunday are tough (for me, and to justify with the Mrs.)

So why don't you start betting on football and become a multimillionaire?

Because Vegas puts lines on the games to make it more difficult. Otherwise every sports fan would be a multimillionaire.

Because Vegas puts lines on the games to make it more difficult. Otherwise every sports fan would be a multimillionaire.

Not to belabor this, but you can bet on any game "Moneyline" where you just pick the winner or loser with no point spread, with lower returns for picking the favorite and higher returns for picking the underdog.

If you can really pick games with 90% accuracy (which I really don't think is possible), then go get rich, my friend.

Eric15 said:
Not to belabor this, but you can bet on any game "Moneyline" where you just pick the winner or loser with no point spread, with lower returns for picking the favorite and higher returns for picking the underdog. If you can really pick games with 90% accuracy (which I really don't think is possible), then go get rich, my friend.
Well gotta deal with odds there...

Last edited:
Not to belabor this, but you can bet on any game "Moneyline" where you just pick the winner or loser with no point spread, with lower returns for picking the favorite and higher returns for picking the underdog.

If you can really pick games with 90% accuracy (which I really don't think is possible), then go get rich, my friend.

Not to mention you can parlay your games and your return is even bigger. But again, you can't hit 9 out of 10 games. No one does.

Find me a place where you can bet on games with no point spread, and I'll do it.
You can. It's called betting the moneyline and you'd still be under 50% in the long term. That's why general's 90% quote was ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom