Battle or Murray? | Syracusefan.com

Battle or Murray?

Actionthrill

Walk On
Just a question for those who know. I've seen clips of both Battle and Murray. My question is what makes Battle the much better player?

Just a question for those who know. I've seen clips of both Battle and Murray. My question is what makes Battle the much better player?

Battle is taller and has a longer reach. That should make him a better fit for the 2-3. They are both very athletic, but I think that Battle also has a slight edge there as well.

They are both great players, and SU would be lucky to have either one.

I'm fully on the Battle bandwagon, others here are on the Murray bandwagon. I think everyone would agree either would be amazing for this program.

Here is what I understand, correct me if I am wrong:
I think Murray may have a better jump shot (from outside)
I think Battle is a better defender and can stop penetration at the top of the zone
Both have great handles
Battle is more athletic and can get to the rim at will
Murray relies on change of speed and out smarts you to get to the rim
I personally just like watching Battle play, his game is smooth and he looks like his nickname (Kid Mamba)

Murray. Battle's the hero we deserve, but Murray is the hero we need.

Murray is a great shooter with a guard handle. Could play the 2 immediately by the side with KJ, who I think will be a great player by his junior year.

Battle will come in an immediately want the 1. Cooney will have graduated, and whose to tell how Howard will have developed by then/BJ has already transferred. It'd leave us potentially weak at the 2. I think Malachi better serves us as a 3 but I may be wrong.

Trueblue25 said:
Murray. Battle's the hero we deserve, but Murray is the hero we need. Murray is a great shooter with a guard handle. Could play the 2 immediately by the side with KJ, who I think will be a great player by his junior year. Battle will come in an immediately want the 1. Cooney will have graduated, and whose to tell how Howard will have developed by then/BJ has already transferred. It'd leave us potentially weak at the 2. I think Malachi better serves us as a 3 but I may be wrong.

I sense Malachi will be more of a 3 as well.

KJ/Howard -
Murray/Howard -
Richardson/Lydon/Moyer
Roberson/Moyer/Lydon -
Diagne/Coleman/Obokoh

That is a hell of a lineup with perimeter/slashing and rebounding talent.

Battle/KJ
Howard/Richardson
Richardson/Lydon/Roberson
Roberson/Moyer/Lydon
Diagne/Coleman/Obokoh

Still a good lineup, potentially weak outside scoring, but very lengthy athletic defense.

I personally think Murray puts us in a better position.

Edit: Murray allows Howard to develop as a 6th man which I think he can flourish as potentially.

Last edited:
KJ/Howard - Jr.
Murray/Howard - Fr.
Richardson/Lydon - Sph. /(Redshirt?)
Roberson/Lydon - Jr./Sph. / (redshirt?)
Diagne/Coleman/Obokoh- sph/sr/jr.

Battle/KJ
Howard/Richardson
Roberson/Richardson/Lydon
Diagne/Coleman/Obokoh

Still a good lineup, potentially weak outside scoring, but very lengthy athletic defense.

Edit: Murray allows Howard to develop as a 6th man which I think he can flourish as potentially.

Lydon is not redshirting.

KJ/Howard - Jr.
Murray/Howard - Fr.
Richardson/Lydon - Sph. /(Redshirt?)
Roberson/Lydon - Jr./Sph. / (redshirt?)
Diagne/Coleman/Obokoh- sph/sr/jr.

Battle/KJ
Howard/Richardson
Roberson/Richardson/Lydon
Diagne/Coleman/Obokoh

No Moyer?

I cannot see Malachi as a 3 in our system. Would get killed on the back line of the 2/3 and while he'd be a matchup problem for any 3/4 defender he'd just not the right size to be a 3. He would however be great at the top of the zone with his length / reach. Wouldn't a Battle / MR guard combination be advantageous? You could then swap in KJ + Howard when Battle + MR sit... not necessarily concomitant substitutions, but you get the idea...

As per Francis, Murray has played with the ball in his hands everywhere he's played. Battle is a PG in training. I'm also reading Murray is the better shooter.

Considering what we have with Kaleb, Howard and Malachi- I would prefer Murray's dribble and shooting abilities over Battle (but ecstatic to have either player).

As per Francis, Murray has played with the ball in his hands everywhere he's played. Battle is a PG in training. I'm also reading Murray is the better shooter.

Considering what we have with Kaleb, Howard and Malachi- I would prefer Murray's dribble and shooting abilities over Battle (but ecstatic to have either player).

Battle is an instant upgrade at point guard for us, the learning curve won't be steep IMO. Also don't sleep on Kid Mamba's shooting ability, from what I understand of the two Murray has the edge from deep but all in all its probably pretty close. If anyone who has studied these guys in depth disagrees with my take I would like to know your thoughts.

Coin toss for me. I like Battle's upside more. But Murray might just be the better 'gamer', 'winner' etc at this point. Tyus' high school team never lived up to expectations and some of that is a product of his injury. Both have the potential to lead us to the promised land. And don't sleep on Jamal's athleticism. Still. What a defender at the top of the zone in Kid Mamba.

I'm not even going to allow myself to dream about Murray until I hear that the staff has at least offered him. I will say if you check out his Twitter account it looks like he's a Cuse fan. Might not be a hard sell, maybe one of the reasons for holding off, aside from the reclass rumors.

How bad a$$ would it be to be thin at C in 2016 but have Battle, Murray, Richardson, Joseph, Howard to man the guard spots!!!
That would be nuts. I think Richardson would have to play the three and have Joseph and Howard as the back up guards. Best back court in college basketball.

both, would give us a dynamic back court that would be very difficult to defend. that combo would allow us to push the ball and get back to our true nature; run and gun. I feel that these 2 players and their families can be shown a viable plan for them to commit and play together. Either of these players would be a good get; the 2 together an awesome get!

jamal_murray.jpg tyus-battle-profile-picjpg-4207950ca0270658.jpg

That would be nuts. I think Richardson would have to play the three and have Joseph and Howard as the back up guards. Best back court in college basketball.

That's quite a projection 2 years out

I'll go bird in the hand on this one. Whomever wants to commit sure thing first I'd take n then try to convince the other guy to come along.

Sounds like the best idea yet! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom