Battle... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle...

It is very unlikely that he'll see any significant minutes from here on out.

I hope he doesn't, but he his our 3rd guard

JB's talked about minutes forever. These are college guys playing 2x a week with plenty of timeouts. Barring injuries he's riding that horse.
For the most part I agree with him - in the ACC tourney it becomes tough to only play 5. Flynn could do it, but most can't!

Battle's reminding me a lot of Marcus Smart, just needs to take his facilitating game to the next level as well. Definitely a player that if he can mature in the system we can build a scary offense around him.

Mentioning any SMART on this board isn't very bright!

We haven't had many freshmen who you could feel comfortable with the ball in his hands. He did a great job yesterday against their token press. He made good decisions and he isn't easily rushed. Really solid on defense and plays with energy. He's becoming an iron man playing 40 minutes in the past two games.

Is there another thread doing that? Cuz...I don't see it in this thread.

If you can't see the team has done a 180 reversal since SJU/BC I can't help you. I stated last week they are looking up at an NIT bid...now I along with 1000's others have hope for a post season. A deep run is premature...Cuse needs to go at a bare minimum 9-9 in conference with a win in the ACC tourney to even have a shot at a 11-12 seed.
After last year, no way in heck SU is sneaking in with 14-15 losses.

Umm why not? Last year they proved the committee correct in chosing them. Instead of putting a team in that hadn't proven they could beat good teams they put SU in because we could beat good teams. Then we beat 4 good teams in a row. Do you even think about what you post?

Why? We made the final four. That should show we should get the benefit of the doubt if it's at all close.
Umm why not? Last year they proved the committee correct in chosing them. Instead of putting a team in that hadn't proven they could beat good teams they put SU in because we could beat good teams. Then we beat 4 good teams in a row. Do you even think about what you post?

Lol ya that dude makes no sense. Unless he's trying to say that he thinks the NCAA did us a favor last year and won't do it again.

Another way to look at it is the Tournament is not for the 64 best teams in the country, we were obviously in the top 64. If that was the case, they wouldn't let conference champs automatically qualify. It's about an egalitarian, let the "little guy" in type of event. A "big boy" with a horrid, undeserving record is not getting in...

Another way to look at it is the Tournament is not for the 64 best teams in the country, we were obviously in the top 64. If that was the case, they wouldn't let conference champs automatically qualify. It's about an egalitarian, let the "little guy" in type of event. A "big boy" with a horrid, undeserving record is not getting in...

Every situation is different. If we have 14 losses but 21 wins because we make the ACC tournament finals, and our resume includes wins over Duke, Louisville, and Virginia...we're getting in. If we go 18-14 and lose round 1 of the ACC tourney, and our best wins are ND and Pitt or something, that's different.

Every situation is different. If we have 14 losses but 21 wins because we make the ACC tournament finals, and our resume includes wins over Duke, Louisville, and Virginia...we're getting in. If we go 18-14 and lose round 1 of the ACC tourney, and our best wins are ND and Pitt or something, that's different.
Yes, that's what we need, top20 rpi scalps and impressive road wins... I don't think people realize just how bad those losses to our former BigEast brethren are, a tourney team absolutely does not lose those out of conference games. They will be a HUGE anchor for us...

Yes, that's what we need, top20 rpi scalps and impressive road wins... I don't think people realize just how bad those losses to our former BigEast brethren are, a tourney team absolutely does not lose those out of conference games. They will be a HUGE anchor for us...

We need wins against top 25, top 50 teams but we have a chance to show we are a different team than we were OOC as well.

We need wins against top 25, top 50 teams but we have a chance to show we are a different team than we were OOC as well.
I agree, but I think we can't be borderline because of non-conference results. We have to show that we are "over the top" a different team when March Madness comes around, imo...

I'm one of the few people around here not surprised by Battle's outside shooting. I expect maybe a little correction but he will have solid shooting numbers at year's end. What was surprising was Battle wasn't using his slashing game. He is now. Battle is very strong. Much stronger than he looks. He can finish through contact better than he has. He's starting to show his mid-range game. It will be fantastic. He rarely misses pull-ups inside 15 feet. He's a decent passer, nothing incredible but fine. I'm not sure what people were expecting from him but games like Saturday are just what we need.

Battle was one of the best on-ball high school defenders I've ever seen in person. His issue in our zone was all positioning. Usually he'd get sucked up too far inside. He's made that correction.

has set the tone defensively the past two games. Both of them, he has been aggressive and disruptive right from the tip and it's really affected our opponent and energized us.

It's stunning to see a team look completely dysfunctional for 6 weeks, and suddenly look like a cohesive unit maximizing its potential with the flick of a switch.

It starts with better defense. Just crazy..
The swoon came first this year

Why not? 9-9 is the absolute minimum in my mind...and that figures 1 or 2 Top 10 victories. If they beat a Duke or UVA that'll help. The ACC is the top conference and finishing 9-9 IMHO means they get a look. Sure 10 or 11 wins are better...but 9-9 means they beat some very good teams.

Why not? 9-9 is the absolute minimum in my mind...and that figures 1 or 2 Top 10 victories. If they beat a Duke or UVA that'll help. The ACC is the top conference and finishing 9-9 IMHO means they get a look. Sure 10 or 11 wins are better...but 9-9 means they beat some very good teams.
it would have to be an extremely weak bubble for us to get in at 17-14 (9-9) unless we go bonkers in the acc tournament. we literally didn't beat anyone ooc, this is much different than virtually any other year we have struggled.

it would have to be an extremely weak bubble for us to get in at 17-14 (9-9) unless we go bonkers in the acc tournament. we literally didn't beat anyone ooc, this is much different than virtually any other year we have struggled.

Yeah, a 17-14 record coupled with a one and done (or even two and done) in the ACC would get zero look as an NCAA team. Unfortunately, getting our doors blown off by BC and St. John's really dug us a huge hole. Hope they keep things interesting, at least, but I think they need to win another 12 games (between reg season and ACC tournament) to get a serious look for the NCAAs.

I just feel like the commitee will remember last year where SU "snubbed" other more deserving teams. Not truth but perception. Could you imagine the uproar if we somehow were the last one in at 17-14? It would be epic.

I just feel like the commitee will remember last year where SU "snubbed" other more deserving teams. Not truth but perception. Could you imagine the uproar if we somehow were the last one in at 17-14? It would be epic.
We were not the last team in last year.

We were not the last team in last year.
I know but the public outcry was that we didn't belong. That's not quickly forgotten. who can forget gotweeb's incessant spiel even after we beat VA?

Yeah, one would think other bubble teams who finish 9-9 in a major conference would have done SOMETHING positive in the OOC. That is one huge strike against us the fact that we pissed away the OOC with some really horrendous debacles. We need to go 11-7 to even begin to start to feel safe, IMO. Too much damage has been done.

Popcorn and sodaYou know we will go somewhere between 9-9 and 11-7, be on bubble, miss tourney, and people here will be up In arms comparing us to some of the last 4 in teams

has set the tone defensively the past two games. Both of them, he has been aggressive and disruptive right from the tip and it's really affected our opponent and energized us.

It's stunning to see a team look completely dysfunctional for 6 weeks, and suddenly look like a cohesive unit maximizing its potential with the flick of a switch.

It starts with better defense. Just crazy..

Good observation.

Several weeks back, I stated that the path to this squad's improvement was tightening the defense, especially the fundamentals (closing out, pressuring the ball in the high post, staying in front of ball-handlers, keeping hands up, etc.). As your post points out, the last two games have demonstrated what happens when players work hard to improve these fundamentals.

Battle has played well, but all five players have sharpened their attention to detail and kicked up their energy the last two games. For example, Lydon anchoring the zone allows his teammates to execute their responsibilities more effectively and to be more aggressive. In short, plugging players into their proper roles has helped maximize the team's potential (as it often does), though this team still has plenty of room to improve before the season concludes.

Offense may come and go. Defense should be constant. Fundamentals are forever.

I would hope that our performance would help us and prove we were deserving...plus I think the reality is if we get to 18/19 wins, our last 10 game record is probably better. But who knows -- hopefully we get a top 10/15 win in there somehow. The number of top 50 RPI teams in conference helps us too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom