Bball GM? | Syracusefan.com

Bball GM?

pwong

Starter
Looks like Cuse football got a GM (don’t really follow football), do you think bball would ever get a GM? Essentially they would handle NIL and portal targets (like the GM’s at Duke, Kentucky, etc) so the coaches can focus a bit more on the on court stuff.

They should. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that football hired a GM because it's the kind of thing that historically we'd be 10 years late on, if we did it at all.

It's exciting that most of our hoops roster has come from HS rather than the portal, but a reality of getting better as a program is that other teams are going to want to poach our talent, so it's essential to have someone who is plugged in and knows what it'll take to keep guys like Maliq and Quadir around, much less Judah. Similarly, you have to make contingency plans ahead of time so you can be ready if someone gets a Godfather offer. The days of throwing your hands up and blaming the system or "kids today" when things don't go your way are over.

They should. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that football hired a GM because it's the kind of thing that historically we'd be 10 years late on, if we did it at all.

It's exciting that most of our hoops roster has come from HS rather than the portal, but a reality of getting better as a program is that other teams are going to want to poach our talent, so it's essential to have someone who is plugged in and knows what it'll take to keep guys like Maliq and Quadir around, much less Judah. Similarly, you have to make contingency plans ahead of time so you can be ready if someone gets a Godfather offer. The days of throwing your hands up and blaming the system or "kids today" when things don't go your way are over.
Well put. This seems like a critical position to be ready for what we know is coming.

Well put. This seems like a critical position to be ready for what we know is coming.
Yep. Traditionally, keeping an eye out for available players (both HS and transfers) has fallen under the role of director of basketball operations, but the pace at which the portal and NIL landscape moves commands its own position IMO.

Last edited:
We need an offensive coordinator in basketball the most.

Have no idea how a coach can function without this role being filled (whether it's codified or someone does it as a de facto effort).

At least in the NBA there are collectively agreed upon rules for contracts, salaries, etc.

This is just the wild west (not that I'm against it). But trying to be HC of a program and deal with all the NIL and portal stuff is just nuts.

Since his job and employer are going away, how about St. Rose coach Will Brown for GM?

Have no idea how a coach can function without this role being filled (whether it's codified or someone does it as a de facto effort).

At least in the NBA there are collectively agreed upon rules for contracts, salaries, etc.

This is just the wild west (not that I'm against it). But trying to be HC of a program and deal with all the NIL and portal stuff is just nuts.
Pitino has some real interesting comments on Pardon My Take about it. Some repeat of what he said before...but what he was saying wasn't necessarily the common "I don't want to pay players" or whatever. Just that its impossible to build a team not knowing where everyone is at. Also expressed he didn't blame the players at all

Link is queued up to the part where he discusses it.

Pitino has some real interesting comments on Pardon My Take about it. Some repeat of what he said before...but what he was saying wasn't necessarily the common "I don't want to pay players" or whatever. Just that its impossible to build a team not knowing where everyone is at. Also expressed he didn't blame the players at all

Link is queued up to the part where he discusses it.

I don't disagree with Rick's point. But at the same time, he's 71. Nobody is forcing him to do this anymore.

I don't disagree with Rick's point. But at the same time, he's 71. Nobody is forcing him to do this anymore.
I took his point as such actually. He‘s prob give it a go at St Johns, see if he can win in a year or two then retire.

Until the GM has oversight and responsibility over the coach (including hiring and firing) and until the GM is the top basketball person reporting to the AD (not the coach) its not really a traditional GM role that we see in pro sports .. its a glorified basketball operations role.

That being said, A very important role, that is very much needed as there is lots to do and tons to be responsible for in the new environment.

But I do wonder how long it will take for it to become fairly normal that the head of the basketball program is the GM who is above the coach, and his key reports become the coach and an assistant GM/operations guy.

Could be the type of role where you see an established coach move to.

Until the GM has oversight and responsibility over the coach (including hiring and firing) and until the GM is the top basketball person reporting to the AD (not the coach) its not really a traditional GM role that we see in pro sports .. its a glorified basketball operations role.

That being said, A very important role, that is very much needed as there is lots to do and tons to be responsible for in the new environment.

But I do wonder how long it will take for it to become fairly normal that the head of the basketball program is the GM who is above the coach, and his key reports become the coach and an assistant GM/operations guy.

Could be the type of role where you see an established coach move to.
I would agree, it's a DOBO job that has more revenue generation tied to it. Extremely important. Not sure the head coach will ever shift from being the head coach. But the role is important, no matter the title.

I would agree, it's a DOBO job that has more revenue generation tied to it. Extremely important. Not sure the head coach will ever shift from being the head coach. But the role is important, no matter the title.
I think we over time we will see teams have varying power structures. Some where the coach is the head, and others where he is not.

I think we over time we will see teams have varying power structures. Some where the coach is the head, and others where he is not.
Something that might separate even further, the Blue Bloods from the rest of the high majors, and the high majors even more from the mid majors. I would expect the television deals to be restructured next time through to add more revenue for the elite teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom