Belichick and his deflated balls | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Belichick and his deflated balls

Honestly even BB haters have to say this is way more likely a violation that Tom Brady and the ballboys committed than Belichick green lighting it.

This story has been overblown because BB thumbs his nose at the media and any violation the Patriots commit is a way to stick it to him. The Patriots clearly did a misdemeanor violation of the rules and should be punished the national blowback of this story has been overkill. Belichick sometimes isn't always to blame. If Brady takes the hit its likely a fine, but Belichick will still get all the blame even if this time he didn't do anything.

Couldn't believe it. That's- pardon the pun- ballsy. That is going to be one sticky situation on the sideline between QB and HC. A clusterfugase in New England.

Alsacs said:
Honestly even BB haters have to say this is way more likely a violation that Tom Brady and the ballboys committed than Belichick green lighting it. This story has been overblown because BB thumbs his nose at the media and any violation the Patriots commit is a way to stick it to him. The Patriots clearly did a misdemeanor violation of the rules and should be punished the national blowback of this story has been overkill. Belichick sometimes isn't always to blame. If Brady takes the hit its likely a fine, but Belichick will still get all the blame even if this time he didn't do anything.

I don't think anything happens on that team without BB's knowledge.

Belichick doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but on this one I blame Brady more than Belichick. Belichick doesn't give a crap about the balls he isn't playing if he had Rodgers he would want them overinflated.

Hammering BB is because he gives the media the finger and Brady is one to blame in this case. If BB wasn't the HC of the Pats this story is nothing.

Spygate was on BB this ball crap is on the QB IMO.

Alsacs said:
Belichick doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but on this one I blame Brady more than Belichick. Belichick doesn't give a crap about the balls he isn't playing if he had Rodgers he would want them overinflated. Hammering BB is because he gives the media the finger and Brady is one to blame in this case. If BB wasn't the HC of the Pats this story is nothing. Spygate was on BB this ball crap is on the QB IMO.

I think this is fair, only thing I'd say is the refs supposedly brought out 12 substitute footballs for the 2H...if true, how would BB not know that?

My suspicion is we're gonna hear that Some innocent ball boy heard Sir Brady mention that he likes the balls less-inflated and so he did it on his own not knowing the rules

That's the out for the patriots and the NFL

It won't work 100% with the population but the Patriots are too obnoxious to care and the NFL just wants people to trust and continue gambling

This is the kind of story that can tie you in knots. Every d*** on espn & every narcissistic Patsy fan going in all sorts of stupid, meaningless directions about the freaking Indy game. GMAFB. Lets boil it down to things that matter.
1. Did Brady know? Yes. Sorry Mike Golic, but it wasn't the backup nosetackle's idea you dumb f***. For once John Madden's painfully obvious statement is apparently necessary.
2. Is this a first time offence? In year 14, game 18 of Brady/Bellichick. Uhh ya, I got a bridge in Alaska. Yahoo is now reporting that the Ravens even warned the Colts about it.

Sorry, but "would've beat Indy anyway" and "Matt Leinert rubbed some balls down with a towel" [am I insane or is that completely irrelevant in the same way sandpaper on a baseball is ok 'cause hey other pitchers rub baseballs?]
It's sad to wonder about all the crap they've done and not been caught.

Brady takes the fall at 4 Belichick, Kraft, and everyone else are waiting in the hallway for him like this.

B79rxdIIYAAmxzy.jpg

Alsacs said:
Brady takes the fall at 4 Belichick, Kraft, and everyone else are waiting in the hallway for him like this.

Brady already said "I've heard it all "

He'll say he didn't realize

Only fair thing to do is suspend Brady from his next game.

Honestly even BB haters have to say this is way more likely a violation that Tom Brady and the ballboys committed than Belichick green lighting it.

This story has been overblown because BB thumbs his nose at the media and any violation the Patriots commit is a way to stick it to him. The Patriots clearly did a misdemeanor violation of the rules and should be punished the national blowback of this story has been overkill. Belichick sometimes isn't always to blame. If Brady takes the hit its likely a fine, but Belichick will still get all the blame even if this time he didn't do anything.

It is more likely that Paterno didnt knew about Sanduaky than Belicek not knowing about the deflated footballs. Both are/were kings of their castle.

If you're not cheating, you're not trying...

Of course this is all silly, but considering the Pats have been caught twice I can only draw one of two conclusions -

1. They cheat way more than this and have only been caught doing these two stupid things so you have to wonder what else they are doing

or

2. They are the worst cheaters ever and get caught every time.

Considering how well they've done in the last 15 years or so, I'm leaning toward #1.

It is more likely that Paterno didnt knew about Sanduaky than Belicek not knowing about the deflated footballs. Both are/were kings of their castle.
Honestly I disagree I don't blame this on Belichick. I blame it on Brady. The QB wants the ball a certain way. BB had nothing to do with this I honestly doubt he had knowledge. Brady is taking the hit.

Honestly I disagree I don't blame this on Belichick. I blame it on Brady. The QB wants the ball a certain way. BB had nothing to do with this I honestly doubt he had knowledge. Brady is taking the hit.

Obviously you're welcome to your opinion and you know I respect you as a poster but for as meticulous as head coaches are, I never presume they leave any detail to chance. Brady will likely take the hit but honestly it should be both. Perhaps if the other Pats stuff hadn't happened recently I MIGHT be more inclined to give Belicek a pass but it did sooooo...

Obviously you're welcome to your opinion and you know I respect you as a poster but for as meticulous as head coaches are, I never presume they leave any detail to chance. Brady will likely take the hit but honestly it should be both. Perhaps if the other Pats stuff hadn't happened recently I MIGHT be more inclined to give Belicek a pass but it did sooooo...
Belichick doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt that is a fact. I just think he would tell the QB find what makes you comfortable and perform well. I think Brady would be more likely to order the code red on the ball deflation than BB.

Belichick doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt that is a fact. I just think he would tell the QB find what makes you comfortable and perform well. I think Brady would be more likely to order the code red on the ball deflation than BB.

I think Prince Brady would issue the decree and King Belicek would issue the executive order to bring it into existance :noidea:

According to the NFL only the first half was played with deflated balls- score at halftime 17-7. Balls were properly inflated at halftime second half score was 28-0 in favor of the Patriots. It looks like the Colts would have been better off if the whole game was played with deflated balls.

It looks to me like this whole thing has been blown out of proportion because it involves Belicek, Brady and the Patriots. For the record I am a Cowboys fan. Would love to know how many balls were under inflated and how far they were out of spec.

According to the NFL only the first half was played with deflated balls- score at halftime 17-7. Balls were properly inflated at halftime second half score was 28-0 in favor of the Patriots. It looks like the Colts would have been better off if the whole game was played with deflated balls.

It looks to me like this whole thing has been blown out of proportion because it involves Belicek, Brady and the Patriots. For the record I am a Cowboys fan. Would love to know how many balls were under inflated and how far they were out of spec.

10 of 11 balls were at 11.5 psi. 12.5 is the lower level. Once they realized the refs were onto them, the balls were then properly inflated.

No, it didn't affect the outcome of the game, but it may have when they did the same thing during the Ravens game. It was in the 20s and teens during that game.

10 of 11 balls were at 11.5 psi. 12.5 is the lower level. Once they realized the refs were onto them, the balls were then properly inflated.

No, it didn't affect the outcome of the game, but it may have when they did the same thing during the Ravens game. It was in the 20s and teens during that game.
Do you have a link for the 11.5 number? Because if it's true then the pressure would actually be a bit above what one would predict if the balls were initially @ 12.5 psig & 72F (game time temperature was 51F).

IMO, the NFL should've come out at the very beginning & said something like "we will fully investigate the situation but be aware that the ball pressure will change when the game conditions are different than the conditions when the balls were tested 2 hours & 15 minutes prior to kickoff". The fact that that they didn't tells me that either 1) they are publicly erring on the side of over-caution because it's Belichik or 2) they're morons & don't know what's going on.

Do you have a link for the 11.5 number? Because if it's true then the pressure would actually be a bit above what one would predict if the balls were initially @ 12.5 psig & 72F (game time temperature was 51F).

IMO, the NFL should've come out at the very beginning & said something like "we will fully investigate the situation but be aware that the ball pressure will change when the game conditions are different than the conditions when the balls were tested 2 hours & 15 minutes prior to kickoff". The fact that that they didn't tells me that either 1) they are publicly erring on the side of over-caution because it's Belichik or 2) they're morons & don't know what's going on.
Interesting press conference by Belichik today. He claimed that the psi in the footballs may have increased by 1 psi during the rubbing process which is part of the preparation to make the football easier to grip by the quarter back, and then deflated after achieving game conditions. Have no idea whether what he said is scientifically supported. I do know that tire pressure is specified to cold conditions and that tire pressure will rise once the car is driven as the tires get heated.

It is obvious that the issue is not going away. On the other hand if I was Belichik, I would use this incident as a motivating tool to go out and kick Seattle ass on Sunday. I normally pull for the NFC team to win the Super bowl, but for some strange reason I am going to root for the Pats.

victor said:
Interesting press conference by Belichik today. He claimed that the psi in the footballs may have increased by 1 psi during the rubbing process which is part of the preparation to make the football easier to grip by the quarter back, and then deflated after achieving game conditions. Have no idea whether what he said is scientifically supported. I do know that tire pressure is specified to cold conditions and that tire pressure will rise once the car is driven as the tires get heated. It is obvious that the issue is not going away. On the other hand if I was Belichik, I would use this incident as a motivating tool to go out and kick Seattle ass on Sunday. I normally pull for the NFC team to win the Super bowl, but for some strange reason I am going to root for the Pats.

Did the same thing happen with the balls the Colts used?

Did the same thing happen with the balls the Colts used?
It's possible that Colts balls may have been inflated to 13.5 psi and remained within limits. According to what I heard the refs check the balls and inflate them if they are under inflated. The balls are then turned over to the ball boys. You then have to assume that the balls were tampered with after the refs. checked them out. If that happened sooner or later it will come out. The other thing if I deflate a ball I have no way of knowing how much they were deflated so I would have to assume that readings on the deflated balls would be variable.

I don't know what happen. What I do know is that after the balls were inflated at half time, the score in the 2nd. half was 28-o in favor of the Pats so like I said maybe the Colts would have been better off if the Pats continue to play with deflated balls.

Its very true that temperature affects air pressure in anything inflated including tires. But the football issue to e is further questioned because big football games have been played in much colder temperature without any problem with the balls' inflation pressure. i think the Patriots' history of trying to get an advantage speaks for itself.