Ben Howland Fired!? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ben Howland Fired!?

Lets say UCLA is a top 20 job (very conservative). I cant remember last time such a team went after an assistant from another school.

“If the UCLA teams of the late 1960s and early 1970s were subjected to the kind of scrutiny (other schools) have been, UCLA would probably have to forfeit about eight national championships and be on probation for the next 100 years."

Great quote about the glory days of UCLA.

The author is none other than Bill Walton himself. You'd think he give a little bit of leeway to the head coach nowadays, considering that UCLA will be forever chasing a ghost that the just can't catch.

Lets say UCLA is a top 20 job (very conservative). I cant remember last time such a team went after an assistant from another school.

I don't think it's a top 30 job...its a great name there is a difference

UCLA should fire their alumni. They don't seem to be funneling as much money to players as they did in the Wooden years.

Lorenzo Romar will be a NC State-Mark Gottfried type hire for UCLA after they strike out. They will go after the big fish Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and will likely get dened. UCLA won't hire an assistant coach, and Romar coached at UCLA under Jim Harrick before taking the Washington job and is a UCLA guy. I would make Mark Few a Godfather offer, but he won't leave Gonzaga for UCLA for numerous reasons. 1. No expectations at Gonzaga compared to UCLA 2. UCLA is an Adidas school and Few is a Nike guy and Oregon alum who is tight with Phil Knight. However, if I was UCLA I go to Mark Few and tell him to name the terms.

Shaka, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright? A couple of the names in the article.

An early predictions?
Please stop with the Jay Wright BS.

He is where he belongs and I, for one, certainly don't want him here when JB decides to go golfing 365.

Lorenzo Romar will be a NC State-Mark Gottfried type hire for UCLA after they strike out. They will go after the big fish Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and will likely get dened. UCLA won't hire an assistant coach, and Romar coached at UCLA under Jim Harrick before taking the Washington job and is a UCLA guy. I would make Mark Few a Godfather offer, but he won't leave Gonzaga for UCLA for numerous reasons. 1. No expectations at Gonzaga compared to UCLA 2. UCLA is an Adidas school and Few is a Nike guy and Oregon alum who is tight with Phil Knight. However, if I was UCLA I go to Mark Few and tell him to name the terms.
I think Romar will finish his life's work at UW. He is quite well liked and respected here!

UCLA and the Pac 12 seem so irrelevant right now. Even 5-6 years ago when they were good, they still didn't seem to get the same respect that teams from the BE, ACC, Big 12 and Big 10 got (and UK/Florida). Has West coast basketball taken that much of a nosedive?

California has such huge population and wealth, it would be insane that they aren't able to compete. Hopkins with Carroll money should be able to get every guy on the West Coast. I have a crush on the guy, and his(Hopkins) loyalty to our school, has a bit to do with it.

I don't think it's possible not to get fired from UCLA. With today's parity to replicate what Wooden did is not only impossible, but it would make Cal look clean.

I think this is the job Hop should go after. I also think it would be good for Hop to get some HC experience before JB retires.
If Hop heads to the West Coast its a one way ticket. No way he comes back if he is HC at USC or UCLA.

The weather might be nice in LA, but the people...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom