• why isn't Coodawg included?

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • GFYS

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters

Shark58

BANNED
similar to Rak and CMcC, the vet is more polished and the kid has more upside

league success is predicated on many things ranging from individual ability and effort to team situation to pure luck

at the end of the day, who has the better career?

That's tough, because I actually think they both end up having solid careers. If things break right for G, I could see him becoming a better version Wesley Johnson in the league.

I think G could be a good bench player for a good team, if he can keep shooting the way he did this year. I just don't think Malachi is ready at this point, and I think its going to be a struggle for him.

Mali has more upside. At times this year he played like G when G was a 5th year senior and Mali a freshman. That's why the NBA wants him- potential.

I hope G hangs on for several years, maybe even gets a chance to play on a good team and makes more money than we'll ever see. But he won't be a star in that league. I don't know if Mali will either but that's the point- nobody knows with him. i think they do know with G.

Mali has more upside. At times this year he played like G when G was a 5th year senior and Mali a freshman. That's why the NBA wants him- potential.

I hope G hangs on for several years, maybe even gets a chance to play on a good team and makes more money than we'll ever see. But he won't be a star in that league. I don't know if Mali will either but that's the point- nobody knows with him. i think they do know with G.

thank you for the summary of the OP without giving an answer

I know that Mali had games where he scored but Im not sure how that equates to upside?

maybe someday he shots consistently, but he only shot well even a handful of games
he was just OK on the FT line so for a shooter in the NBA thats not the norm of someone who will be consistent from outside but it can be worked on
he struggled to get to the rim and finish. he was good at getting fouled, not sure how that plays in the NBA either where there is almost always a bigger guy to protect the rim and the guys he will need to get buy will be bigger and stronger than him.

in college he played the 3 and usually had a slower bigger guy guarding him and his handle, which is avg, worked because he has a pretty good first step. his go to move was just a blow bye most of the time. Now he will be guarded by a 2 and he will have to see if that works for him

G has played 3 spots, has shown a much better shot, better D, better rebounding, has shown a postup game too. Thats where the NBA scouting always seems to confuse us college fans since so many guys who look good here never sniff real NBA careers.

I love Mal's chances in the NBA. Look at UT's Richardson for the Heat right now.. and Mal is much more talented than him with a similar game.

G, I think he can be successful but fit will be much more important for him than Mali (who I think will have a solid career anywhere).

if the kid who went to indiana had come how much run does Mali get this year? does he take over the 2 from cooney he we have another legit F to play?

Malachi is way better than Gbinije at the same stage. He's about as good now as Gbinije was as a 4th year Junior. So I would say Malachi. Part of it depends on who they get drafted by too. Some organizations are good at developing players, and some are not. Opportunities to get on the court and show something is obviously a factor too. All things considered, I'd go with Richardson as having a better chance to stick. Like a lot of our guys(Rautins, Joseph, Nichols) I'm not sure Gbinije has quite enough to stick. Maybe if he keeps improving his shot and becomes a solid 3 point shooter at that level and gets the opportunity to play somewhere, he will.

G is probably headed to the D League but if someone sees him as a future big back-up PG, like Livingston, and he gets a chance to further develop PG skills, he could eventually become a valuable asset but all things considered the pros say that Mali has better prospects.

Last edited:
Mali. But don't sleep on G. He's athletic and works his arse off. That's important in the league. He's a better athlete/player than CJ and CJ is within a sniff of the league. G will definitely be in the league (and I think he will play).

I don't really see an NBA career for G, so I go with Mali by default. I don't think either will be particularly good in the NBA though; I'd be surprised if either hit MCW/Dion's level, and while they're becoming decent role players, they aren't exactly all-stars.

I don't really see an NBA career for G, so I go with Mali by default. I don't think either will be particularly good in the NBA though; I'd be surprised if either hit MCW/Dion's level, and while they're becoming decent role players, they aren't exactly all-stars.

G has a good chance. He has pretty good skills and athleticism. And he's a very likable guy.

I think Mal could have a very good career in the NBA. His step back move is pure gold. He has all the other tools he needs. We shall see.

I know that Mali had games where he scored but Im not sure how that equates to upside?

maybe someday he shots consistently, but he only shot well even a handful of games
he was just OK on the FT line so for a shooter in the NBA thats not the norm of someone who will be consistent from outside but it can be worked on
he struggled to get to the rim and finish. he was good at getting fouled, not sure how that plays in the NBA either where there is almost always a bigger guy to protect the rim and the guys he will need to get buy will be bigger and stronger than him.

in college he played the 3 and usually had a slower bigger guy guarding him and his handle, which is avg, worked because he has a pretty good first step. his go to move was just a blow bye most of the time. Now he will be guarded by a 2 and he will have to see if that works for him

G has played 3 spots, has shown a much better shot, better D, better rebounding, has shown a postup game too. Thats where the NBA scouting always seems to confuse us college fans since so many guys who look good here never sniff real NBA careers.

Exactly correct - G's only issue is age - there is nothing Malachi does remotely as good as G other than FT's - they tell me Malichi is now explosive - um, ok - maybe in a vacuum he is - if there is a defender in front of him he certainly isn't explosive - Mali didn't have 5 dunks all season - G almost killed people on some of his dunks going past people and finishing on people - really hope G succeeds - Mali, poor kid got sold snake oil - I would imagine G get's drafted higher - Mali is going middle of the second round and will be living in Turkey within 2 years

Like, in the NBA? Malachi, and it's not close.

Sorry that he's leaving, because he'd be due for a really nice sophomore year. The kid just knows how to play basketball. He was OK as a freshman, but he's got all the tools and could become a very good player once he gets some respectable shot selection and gets better at finishing around the rim. The NBA's weight-lifting/steroid regimen will probably get him to that second goal faster than he would have at Syracuse.

As for Gbinije, I'm glad he seems to be such a nice and open-minded guy (soon to have Olympic experience), because the path to career wealth lies overseas for him. I'd be surprised if he ended up with more NBA success than Demetris Nichols.

Like, in the NBA? Malachi, and it's not close.

Sorry that he's leaving, because he'd be due for a really nice sophomore year. The kid just knows how to play basketball. He was OK as a freshman, but he's got all the tools and could become a very good player once he gets some respectable shot selection and gets better at finishing around the rim. The NBA's weight-lifting/steroid regimen will probably get him to that second goal faster than he would have at Syracuse.

As for Gbinije, I'm glad he seems to be such a nice and open-minded guy (soon to have Olympic experience), because the path to career wealth lies overseas for him. I'd be surprised if he ended up with more NBA success than Demetris Nichols.

That's the big question for me. If a guy isn't a can't miss prospect, we are probably talking about the D-league. Is his body/game really going to develop better there than it would have here? Are D-league facilities better than the Melo Center? Does the coaching he'll get really exceed the coaching he'd get here? What about the atmosphere: the Dome vs. a D-League game and the prospect of winning a championship people care about? Wouldn't it be more stimulating to develop your body, skills, mind and personality here? Isn't the D league a bus man's holiday, where something they've always done for fun and excitement becomes just a job? I honestly have no idea if players develop better in the D-league than in college. I'm not sure any of us really do.

I always had the concept that the NBA is a very exclusive league with a new truckload of prospects arriving every year and if you want to make it there, you need to maximize your abilities before you present yourself to the NBA or you are likely to be tossed aside. But it seems NBA teams have two reasons for drafting a player: either he's a can't miss prospect who could become your franchise player or he's and unknown quantity who could become a good player and if he does, you'd rather it be your good player than your rival's good player. Most teams feel they have the pieces they need or at least better pieces than are available in the draft and if they need to fill a gap they'd probably rather have a veteran player or somebody who has been playing with a pro team in Europe anyway. Meanwhile the kids just see dollar signs. if someone tells they could could make a million dollars this year but 5 million if they waited a year, they never hear anything beyond they could could make a million dollars this year and they think that's a bottomless pit of money, so they declare.

There should probably be only one round of the NBA draft with everyone else being a free agent with no guaranteed money. And we should probably not agonize over the decisions of a teenager, whether a recruit or a freshman dreaming of NBA money. The decision won't be made by us and it won't be made based on criteria that make any sense to us and we won't have to live with it. Just wait until Midnight Madness and see who emerges from the locker room.

I love Mal's chances in the NBA. Look at UT's Richardson for the Heat right now.. and Mal is much more talented than him with a similar game.

G, I think he can be successful but fit will be much more important for him than Mali (who I think will have a solid career anywhere).

Not to be a hater, but we've had better players than Mali come through here and make zero impact in the NBA. I'm in the camp that he won't make it. Despite what he's hearing, I don't think he's really a first round talent right now.

As for G, we've seen guys like him, but he's a bit unique in terms of having run the point at his size. I could see him playing guard on a good team's second unit in the NBA, but I've felt that way before. G measure well and he had a good leap, but he lacks a bit of explosiveness, those fast twitch muscles that let you turn on the jets. G is not that guy. But, gosh, on a team like San Antonio or Dallas, couldn't you seem him on their second unit. He's such a heady player. I hope he gets a shot.

But then again, John Wallace didn't make it in the league, you know? That's the thing; fans want to get all pumped up about these kids who leave early, but if John freaking Wallace couldn't make it in the NBA, well, no wonder C.J. Fair or Wes Johnson or Kris Joseph didn't make it.

I hate to say it but easily maliachi, Malachi has the speed and handle that gbinije will never have. Speed and handle are especiallyimportant given the evolution of the NBA to a three-centric league that the warriors have fostered in.

Despite the terrific contributions we got from g last year, he never had the handle or speed That either a point or shooting guard in the NBA needs to have. G's shot release is also a lot slower than Mali...great shooters in the NBA have quick releases.

Look at the remaining teams in the NBA playoffs guards are super fast with tremendous handles see curry , Westbrook, juries, etc. all these guys have quick releases as well.

the thing that I can't get over is that dion as a college player would have made both malachi and silent g look pedestrian athletically. dion looks pedestrian athletically in the nba. it is amazing.

the thing that I can't get over is that dion as a college player would have made both malachi and silent g look pedestrian athletically. dion looks pedestrian athletically in the nba. it is amazing.
nah, even in the NBA he's got very good athleticism. His problem is his height, and the fact that he plays on a team full of absolutely ridiculous athletes. Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, and Andre Roberson made the entire Spurs team look pedestrian athletically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom